Cam Mack

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Where did Kevin Cross play this year?

Who was our other backup at the 5?  Fred has publicly said he had no choice but to use him there and can't wait to see him at the 4 next season.  Walker makes this inevitable.  

There was no plan to move Morrow to the 4.  I think that's why he left.  

19 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Highly doubt Mack would've started over Banton.  Maybe Webster, but Webster is a scorer.  

Mack and Banton would have both started. It wouldnt have been one or the other. HCFH wants to have multiple ball handlers on the floor at all times. To build on that, if the staff is certain Mack is returning we prob dont go after or land Kobe Webster, right?

16 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Who was our other backup at the 5?  Fred has publicly said he had no choice but to use him there and can't wait to see him at the 4 next season.  Walker makes this inevitable.  

There was no plan to move Morrow to the 4.  I think that's why he left.  

I was listening to Matt A intervew from Rivals (lots a good stuff on attrition, recruiting, the staffs take on rebounding). It was the first media appearance by anyone from the basketball staff in idk how long. He made it a point to say that HCFH's goal is to always put the five most skilled players, in terms of their system, on the floor and he doesnt really base it off of your traditional basketball positions. Mentions how they played George Niang (who is 6'6-6'7) as their 5 a lot of the time. My point is, if Kevin Cross is one of the five most skilled players on the team, its very possible he could be used in that same role. 

32 minutes ago, khoock said:

Mack and Banton would have both started. It wouldnt have been one or the other. HCFH wants to have multiple ball handlers on the floor at all times. To build on that, if the staff is certain Mack is returning we prob dont go after or land Kobe Webster, right?

Hard to say.  I think it would’ve depended on matchups.  

Banton

King

Allen

Thor

Stevenson 

I’d call that a positionless, skilled, switch everything lineup who should be pretty darned good on both ends.  I’m not sure who Mack or Webster knocks out.  An in shape Cross would fit right in, so I agree with you there.  

Now if we’re not grooming DB to be a PG, all bets are off.  It’s going to be a blast to watch.  

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I am assigning about the same about of blame to the coaching staff about Mack and Burke, two starters with eligibility, transferring out as I did with Ed Morrow and Michael Jacobson.

Kinda identical situations isn’t it....? Two dudes who were good and we like, but saw the writing on the wall with the dudes redshirting and coming in...?

8 hours ago, LK1 said:

Noted thanks.  I mostly agree with this though I don't really think Fred mismanaged anyone like Tim did with Morrow playing the 5.

No way Burke starts over Kobe King.

Highly doubt Mack would've started over Banton.  Maybe Webster, but Webster is a scorer.  

I don't think Webster will be scoring next year like his average last year suggests. From all accounts I've heard he was asked to score more last year due to the fact they were very limited on offense. I do think he will look to score, but I anticipate he will be a bit more of a distributor for us.

16 hours ago, LK1 said:

Hard to say.  I think it would’ve depended on matchups.  

Banton

King

Allen

Thor

Stevenson 

I’d call that a positionless, skilled, switch everything lineup who should be pretty darned good on both ends.  I’m not sure who Mack or Webster knocks out.  An in shape Cross would fit right in, so I agree with you there.  

Now if we’re not grooming DB to be a PG, all bets are off.  It’s going to be a blast to watch.  

I love Thor's effort, did even when he got spot minutes under Miles.  But if he starts next year, unless he elevates his game as much between this year and next  as he did before this year, we are in trouble.  Not saying he should be buried way down the bench but I would hope we've "over recruited" him.

When Matt A was doing his radio interview he talked about Banton and just from his description of what he brought to the table he made it sound like he would be one of the ball handlers to me.   He also said their offense likes multiple ball handlers so that opens up the door to a variety of possible lineups.    The thing I like about Banton is that he not only fits well within the offensive scheme his length will allow him to guard all those different positions as well.   

I disagree a little with Matt on the rebounding.   I think it is hard to run and get into a transitional offense if you can't rebound.   If you have a team that can generate steals you can get by perhaps.    Also if you can't rebound your giving up 2nd chance points on both ends of the court so the only way to win is to never miss and hope they miss their bunnies.   I thought that was our problem last year.    

IMHO every team needs at a minimum a few ball handlers and a few bigs.   And when I say bigs I mean players that can rebound and defend down low.

Edited by REDitus

2 hours ago, colhusker said:

I love Thor's effort, did even when he got spot minutes under Miles.  But if he starts next year, unless he elevates his game as much between this year and next  as he did before this year, we are in trouble.  Not saying he should be buried way down the bench but I would hope we've "over recruited" him.

I agree that Thor might be a better fit off the bench but I would not have a problem if he starts just for the fact that I think we will score it better next year and I don't think he is a guy that needs to get his ups and will fit in well with 3-4 other scorers on the floor.  He also seems to be a good lead by example guy so the coaches might want him on the floor for that reason since we will be inexperienced again.

3 hours ago, colhusker said:

I agree when Thor has to be the focal point of the offense, but as a guy who can complement the other components, I have a hard time seeing Fred not throwing him in there.  He can also shoot the hell out of the ball now, is a good finisher, and very good passer.  He's also a serviceable defender.  Those might be erasers for his deficiencies.  

4 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I agree that Thor might be a better fit off the bench but I would not have a problem if he starts just for the fact that I think we will score it better next year and I don't think he is a guy that needs to get his ups and will fit in well with 3-4 other scorers on the floor.  He also seems to be a good lead by example guy so the coaches might want him on the floor for that reason since we will be inexperienced again.

Not only this, but one could argue that the strongest part of Thor's game is actually his basketball IQ and being the glue that could hold everything together on the floor.  He's at least a guy that won't be "looking for his" when he is on the floor.  he is more of a team player.

4 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I'd be very surprised if Thor isn't under SERIOUS consideration for being a full-time starter next year as well. He's been a rock the past year-plus (incl. end of Miles' final yr.). Thor is a very heady player, and NU will need that once again with a lot of moving parts being inserted into the lineup, especially early on !

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Seems a little distasteful to blame his withdrawal from the NBA draft on coronavirus and not his inability to produce NBA-level stats in a Power-5 conference...

He's blaming missing out on the trips to places to workout and thus the entire point of declaring for the NBA when he most likely was always coming back to college.