Cam Mack

On 3/13/2020 at 2:28 PM, aphilso1 said:

Freshman Joe was, yes.  But sophomore Joe.......

Sophomore Joe would've been a tough competitor in like...a hot dog eating contest?

Freshman Joe shot a little higher volume and played with a little more pace than his sophomore self, but still not anywhere near the level of talent or athletic ability that Cam has currently.  Only thing Joe could ever do efficiently was turn the ball over, whereas Cam has been in the Top 25 in assist-to-turnover ratio for most the season (fell off a bit near the end).

The only real comparison between the two is the poor shot selection.  But Cam is playing in an uptempo offense where extra possessions are encouraged.  Joe just gave zero f*cks.

I think Joe was suspended 3 or 4 times for missing team functions, violating rules, and not attending practice before he was ultimately dismissed.  The team absolutely despised the guy by that time as he wouldn't ever compete in practice and then eventually just stopped showing-up.  He was given a chance to apologize to his teammates and he chose not to.

I think there is a better chance Mack is back than most.  I go back and forth on what I think is best.  If he can make some changes I would rather have him here.   I think the staff had to get a potential replacement and Webster is probably a guy that can find 18-20 minutes even if Mack is back.  

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I am assigning about the same about of blame to the coaching staff about Mack and Burke, two starters with eligibility, transferring out as I did with Ed Morrow and Michael Jacobson.

Really?  In year 2 of his tenure?  I think we'll have a more complete roster next season than any year under TM and wildly improved defensively.  

I suppose I don't remember enough about who we had waiting in the wings when Morrow and Jacobson left, but I thought Morrow leaving was an enormous disappointment.  Jacobson's senior numbers were pretty much on par with his sophomore numbers.  Morrow just got injured at Marquette, but he was a good player when healthy.  Morrow should've been a double double guy for us at the 4 his junior year.  

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

I suppose I don't remember enough about who we had waiting in the wings

If i recall correctly, it was a combination of Jordy and Roby ascending and the addition of Cope that led to what many thought would be a reduced role for one or both of them.

9 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Really?  In year 2 of his tenure?  I think we'll have a more complete roster next season than any year under TM and wildly improved defensively.  

I suppose I don't remember enough about who we had waiting in the wings when Morrow and Jacobson left, but I thought Morrow leaving was an enormous disappointment.  Jacobson's senior numbers were pretty much on par with his sophomore numbers.  Morrow just got injured at Marquette, but he was a good player when healthy.  Morrow should've been a double double guy for us at the 4 his junior year.  

To be clear, that amount of blame wasn't/isn't much.  Guys transfer was the point.

Also

1 minute ago, khoock said:

If i recall correctly, it was a combination of Jordy and Roby ascending and the addition of Cope that led to what many thought would be a reduced role for one or both of them.

Ah yes. Roby should've gotten MJ's minutes before MJ transferred. He was already better than MJ as a TFr.  

My problem was always playing Morrow at the 5.  MJ would've been a much better backup at the 5 with Morrow starting at the 4.  I never understood Morrow at the 5 sharing minutes with Jordy.  

My thing with Fred is it's very likely we'll be 2-deep at every spot next season with good-maybe-not-great players.  We should be very competitive.  

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

To be clear, that amount of blame wasn't/isn't much.  Guys transfer was the point.

Noted thanks.  I mostly agree with this though I don't really think Fred mismanaged anyone like Tim did with Morrow playing the 5.

No way Burke starts over Kobe King.

Highly doubt Mack would've started over Banton.  Maybe Webster, but Webster is a scorer.