Postseason Hoops

For those of you marooned at home who feel the need for a basketball fix, I would recommend this book:                                                                                                                                  https://journalstar.com/entertainment/books/review-the-dawn-of-the-big-dance/article_ec50b079-68a8-5a2a-a7dc-dff4ad654d47.html

Edited by jimmykc

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I heard some sports channel(s) are airing old Tournament games, one in particular perked my ears. Magic/Bird I in the ‘79 Title game. That’s for many the BC-AD moment for not only College Basketball, but for Basketball 🏀 writ large...

I wouldn’t mind seeing the 1976 Indiana team play.  Maybe I need the plaid sport coat fix!

10 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Hoiberg won 12 fewer games in 2019-20 than Nebrasketball had during its prior season, I can't believe Freddy's still employed. 😉

Unless we have one of the top 5 single year improvements in wins in school history, we will win 14 or less next year.  (The other time we redshirted a Piatkowski it was +16.)

Season Conference          W      L        Win Improvement
1990-91 Big 8 26 8 16
1919-20 Ind 22 2 12
2017-18 Big Ten 22 11 10
1965-66 Big 8 20 5 10
2003-04 Big 12 18 13 7
1977-78 Big 8 22 8 7
1935-36 Big 6 13 8 7

12 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Unless we have one of the top 5 single year improvements in wins in school history, we will win 14 or less next year.  (The other time we redshirted a Piatkowski it was +16.)

Season Conference          W      L        Win Improvement
1990-91 Big 8 26 8 16
1919-20 Ind 22 2 12
2017-18 Big Ten 22 11 10
1965-66 Big 8 20 5 10
2003-04 Big 12 18 13 7
1977-78 Big 8 22 8 7
1935-36 Big 6 13 8 7

DDA, boy howdy, that "bolded" part sparks some good vibes.... but, yeah, I'm not seeing it; maybe half of that +16 to get to a 15-win season. That's progress, right?

12 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I heard some sports channel(s) are airing old Tournament games, one in particular perked my ears. Magic/Bird I in the ‘79 Title game. That’s for many the BC-AD moment for not only College Basketball, but for Basketball 🏀 writ large...

NCAA has uploaded a bunch of old tournament games you can watch in full

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXCWZ2G0LOavdqSs58wZ7Mx2YohF9fYEK

Here's the Magic/Bird game from '79

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Watching that game brings out an interesting side note.  Man, those non-breakaway rims were UNFORGIVING!  Can you imagine what today's shooters' percentages would go down to if they had to play on those rims?

Yep. And no three-point line. Imagine, for instance, how many points "Pistol" Pete Maravich would have scored from the land of plenty?!

56 minutes ago, 49r said:

Also, the College Basketball subreddit is conducting a virtual NCAA Tournament (College Basketball 2K8)  on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdWlkSkTdyqer6PJvy4JO3w/videos

Next game comes on at 1:30 today.

More info here:

This is actually way more entertaining than you would think. The live fan interaction during the games on youtube is hilarious. 

I was at the 1990 Olympic Festival Tournament, Williams Arena when 18 year old Shaquille O'Neil's South squad took on Eric Montross’s East team. Shaq was already 7’ tall & 3 bills, he threw down a dunk SO hard, he didn’t bend the rim, he  dislodged the entire “standard” & backboard...

Just now, Handy Johnson said:

I was at the 1990 Olympic Festival Tournament, Williams Arena when 18 year old Shaquille O'Neil's South squad took on Eric Montross’s East team. Shaq was already 7’ tall & 3 bills, he threw down a dunk SO hard, he didn’t bend the rim, he  dislodged the entire “standard” & backboard...

So, basically just like Jason Dourisseau did at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. 😉

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I was at the 1990 Olympic Festival Tournament, Williams Arena when 18 year old Shaquille O'Neil's South squad took on Eric Montross’s East team. Shaq was already 7’ tall & 3 bills, he threw down a dunk SO hard, he didn’t bend the rim, he  dislo dged the entire “standard” & backboard...

Shaq played at the 4 for 15 minutes a game as a freshman with Stanley Roberts at center, and averaged half as much as LSUs leading scorer Chris Jackson. And that team didn’t even make the sweet sixteen.