Postseason Hoops

1 minute ago, cipsucks said:

Perhaps.  This isn't a perfect analogy, but the NCAA eliminating the crowds at all sites would be like the entire state of Florida cancelling all events in the state because of a cat 4 or 5 hurricane that is still several days away.  The forecasters have no idea what strength it will be if/when it hits land, where it will hit land, and there is still a decent chance it turns east and heads into the Atlantic Ocean.

Personally, I think the hysteria, to this point, has far overreached the threat level.  Just my two cents.

'It wasn't so bad, everyone overreacted' is the best case sceanrio for something that has become a pandemic

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

This is uncharted water.  Unprecedented.  You have to wonder if spring sports are still going to happen.  Everything seems to be happening so fast. 

honestly it would be a safe call to cancel the spring game.  As cool as it is to see a full stadium in the spring...there is not much gained for the team from it  outside of $.

#1 I am one of those "people" who is blessed with a compromised immune system.  So I have to be a bit more careful, but won't be living in a bubble...ever.  so to me these seemingly drastic moves makes sense.  Because if I had tickets, I would go without thinking twice.

Also, this sort of reminds me of Y2K.  There was a lot of fear, a lot of panic, a ton of time and money spent on planning and preparation and a lot of people hoarding nearly everything.   Then when the clock struck midnight, nada - nothing...and a large collective sigh of relief.  

I hope the same thing holds true after  this pandemic passes on.

36 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

#1 I am one of those "people" who is blessed with a compromised immune system.  So I have to be a bit more careful, but won't be living in a bubble...ever.  so to me these seemingly drastic moves makes sense.  Because if I had tickets, I would go without thinking twice.

Also, this sort of reminds me of Y2K.  There was a lot of fear, a lot of panic, a ton of time and money spent on planning and preparation and a lot of people hoarding nearly everything.   Then when the clock struck midnight, nada - nothing...and a large collective sigh of relief.  

I hope the same thing holds true after  this pandemic passes on.

Papa, you said it so much better than I did.  My son Seth also agrees with you, and he agrees you speak much more intelligently than his dad....

I'm sure the Corona Virus is not good for me, with Chron's and on blood thinners.  Having said that, if I had a chance to go to the tournament, I would probably turn it down, and not go.  I think if you are normally healthy and not elderly, the chances of you dying from the Corona Virus are really slim.  Therefore, I don't see why they are going this overly cautious.  If you are elderly or have a compromised immune system, don't go.  People die from car accidents that are someone else's fault every day.  Should we just shelter in our house 24/7.  Just be careful.

If this persists until fall, or more likely flares back up again, does football season go on with no crowds?  How many athletic programs would survive that?  TV ratings would go to hell because after a while no one will watch games played in empty stadiums.

And that empty stadium for the College World Series will sure be fun.  (I'm guessing it's over by then, but who knows?)

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

43 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I'm sure the Corona Virus is not good for me, with Chron's and on blood thinners.  Having said that, if I had a chance to go to the tournament, I would probably turn it down, and not go.  I think if you are normally healthy and not elderly, the chances of you dying from the Corona Virus are really slim.  Therefore, I don't see why they are going this overly cautious.  If you are elderly or have a compromised immune system, don't go.  People die from car accidents that are someone else's fault every day.  Should we just shelter in our house 24/7.  Just be careful.

Dude you don’t get it then. Someone young and asymptotic could pass it to a kid with cancer or an immunocompromised adult or an elder - this isn’t about the healthy people attending the events. This is about saving our at risk population and keeping our hospitalizations low.

9 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Dude you don’t get it then. Someone young and asymptotic could pass it to a kid with cancer or an immunocompromised adult or an elder - this isn’t about the healthy people attending the events. This is about saving our at risk population and keeping our hospitalizations low.

That was kind of my point, though.  If you have someone at risk, they should not be exposed to the general population.  I understand the severity of the cases, but we also can't keep ourselves in a bubble 24/7.  If you have a child or at risk individual, be careful and monitor them, if they leave the house.  To force everything to shut down, is kind of crazy.  They are saying SARS is much more dangerous, yet we didn't shut down everything to this level when that crisis came about.

14 minutes ago, brfrad said:

That was kind of my point, though.  If you have someone at risk, they should not be exposed to the general population.  I understand the severity of the cases, but we also can't keep ourselves in a bubble 24/7.  If you have a child or at risk individual, be careful and monitor them, if they leave the house.  To force everything to shut down, is kind of crazy.  They are saying SARS is much more dangerous, yet we didn't shut down everything to this level when that crisis came about.

The problem is that it's not who is compromised but who is not compromised but carries the virus home to someone compromised. I'm a year out from lymphoma surgery/chemo and have another family member currently undergoing chemo. Even if we both take every precaution, my wife, his wife, his kids, our neighbors, the people at the infusion center are all potential vectors. I'm in meetings at work with people who just rolled off planes from who knows where encountering how many different people. There is no trophy for risk taking in a pandemic.