Thoughts on Opendorse?

jimmykc

Ohio State has already been doing this in house for the last couple of years.  Seems like a good way to expedite a function that will become commonplace in the very near future and probably garner future work for a Nebraska company when other schools decide to jump in.

• 2 months later...

Pretty informative article on FiveThirtyEight here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/student-athletes-will-soon-be-social-media-influencers-and-one-college-program-is-helping-them-do-it/

Student-Athletes Will Soon Be Social Media Influencers. And One College Program Is Helping Them Do It.

What could Nebraska athletes make as influencers?

The top University of Nebraska student-athlete per sport by estimated potential annual earnings through social media branding

TWITTER/INSTAGRAM  
ATHLETE SPORT TOTAL FOLLOWERS EARNINGS PER POST ANNUAL EARNINGS
Adrian Martinez Football 79,531 $1,501 $153,147
Lexi Sun Volleyball 70,857 1,160 39,438
Trey McGowens Basketball (M) 24,217 364 8,014
Taylor Kissinger Basketball (W) 7,156 188 4,317
Logan Foster Baseball 7,079 169 3,880
Allie Binder Track and field 9,393 136 3,671
Alex Thomsen Wrestling 14,808 207 1,859
Emma Worley Tennis (W) 1,992 56 1,124
Brynn Lambrecht Bowling 4,018 50 844
Hannah Davis Soccer (W) 5,325 47 837
Khalil Jackson Gymnastics (M) 5,089 60 726
William Gleason Tennis (M) 1,483 39 504
Maggie Berning Swimming/diving 2,071 28 495
Lexey Kneib Softball 7,680 127 381
Will Marshall Golf (M) 1,722 33 333
Sierra Hassel Gymnastics (W) 8,061 104 313
Jessica Haraden Golf (W) 3,331 13 203
Trinity Gomez Rifle 1,169 15 168

SOURCE: OPENDORSE

Also it's pretty interesting to see Trey McGowens listed as the (potential) highest earning basketball player.

Opendorse didn't make this tweet but they deliver the content from the university to Thor.  Then Thor decides if/when he wants to post it.

Not sure if there are any other source providers other than the University.  A professional athlete might have companies go through an agent and then you get paid based on some sort of contract/interaction/etc.

So I got curious and decided to look up how many twitter+instagram followers each scholarship player has and here's what I came up with.  Interestingly, it appears that Teddy Allen has just recently deleted his twitter account.

Player with total # of followers on twitter and insta followed by their twitter handle and followers then instagram handle and followers

Trey McGowens (24093)

• @Trey5mac_  5593
  • trey.mac 18500

Derrick Walker (12400)

• @derric_k  5796
  • derric_k 6604

Yvan Ouedraogo (7357)

• @Yvanouedball  2272
  • easynavy 5085

Akol Arop (6614)

• @akol_33  3414
  • akol_33 3200

Thorir Thorbjarnarson (5730)

• @Totiturbo  2673
  • totiturbo4 3057

Kobe Webster (4317)

• @k10webster  1550
  • k10webster 2767

Teddy Allen (4177)

• N/A
  • jusshoopteddy  4177

Dalano Banton (3855)

• @DALANO_BANTON  1042
  • _dubberdon 2813

Shamiel Stevenson (3665)

• @Sham_God0  1826
  • nolimitshamgod 1839

Lat Mayen (3119)

• @lattmayen  829
  • 11mayen 2290

Trevor Lakes (2351)

• @T_lakes14  902
  • tlakes14 1449

Kobe King (1459)

• @new_king24  1271
  • kingcoronation13 1188

Eduardo Andre (491)

• @EastLDNAndre 491
  • N/A

I am all for this. I have read the articles that have been published the last few days. It got me thinking. And my thinking made me wonder of some of the potential pitfalls.

1st - using the numbers that attach a monetary value to certain player I wonder how it would affect the dynamics of a team when one player is making a six figure paycheck while others make nearly nothing.

2nd - I would have to believe, long term, this would make a kids gravitate to positions with a higher earning potential. Thinking about football here. 

3rd - I wonder how this affects recruiting. Surely institutions that show they can maximize a potential recruits earning would in turn create an advantage.

4th - what happens when a high earner and starter is replaced by better talent before their eligibility expires.

5th - If a player is replaced. Let's say a coaching change happens and the new coach wants to go in a different direction. And the player sat was a high earner would they have legal recourse for loss of wages?

6th - And finally. This is all about my opinion. For the most part I despise social media. And this model for income seems to be based entirely/mostly on using social media. Are there other avenues for revenue within this framework besides IG and FB?

Again all for this but these were a few of the questions I have been mulling over.

Edited by cornfed24-7

30 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The entire basketball team collectively has about the same reach as Adrian Martinez.

To put it in some kind of context.  Tyrese Maxey's twitter+instagram reach is right at 170,000, or more than double Adrian Martinez'.

Ashton Hagans also has about 170k followers.  Kentucky Hoops absolutely crushes social media, BTW.

Edited by 49r

Here’s a hypothetical I heard today, what if Adidas wants to use Adrian Martinez in a commercial? How much is the University involved financially & otherwise? What if Nike wants to use him in an Ad, or a local car dealership wants to use Lexi Sun...? I might be a lonely voice in the wind here, but this should’ve been left ALONE.

The good teams will share the love a lot.  I mean come on... amart gets a block to help him sneak into the endzone against Ohio state from a 3rd team wr.... you think guys won't help each other out?

This will REALLY help successful women's teams out.  I mean we all know why hot women do well in social media.  But now they'll stop having handcuffs on their earnings too and this could have long term earnings potential as well because Nebraska fans remember.

Pick a hot volleyball player in nebraska.  I know the answer is "most, if not all of them" but one or two a year are generally a step up (not trying to objectify them, this is just objective reality).  Those girls could pay for all their incidentals -- minimum -- every year if they are comfortable with the scrutiny and that's a huge deal.  And once again, there will be a team aspect here too.

Would I be comfortable with that level of objectification of my daughter as a parent?  Probably not but it would happen anyway they might as well get paid for it.

21 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Here’s a hypothetical I heard today, what if Adidas wants to use Adrian Martinez in a commercial? How much is the University involved financially & otherwise? What if Nike wants to use him in an Ad, or a local car dealership wants to use Lexi Sun...? I might be a lonely voice in the wind here, but this should’ve been left ALONE.

These problems seem preferable to a guy with a dufflebag full of money

I'm thrilled that some of these young athletes who will very likely not go pro will still be allowed to make money outside of the university for the their talents deemed valuable by the market.  Many of these athletes don't come from wealth, and for football, the only ticket to getting paid is making the league, so more power to them in my opinion.  

Walk ons are allowed to have jobs outside of campus.  Scholarship players should have the same right.  Some people are better than other people at things.  

Nebraska is at an enormous advantage given its general appetite for college sports.  I hope to see all sorts of commercials starring these athletes.  It will help recruiting tremendously.  

Now Creighton can just get a private company to purchase their players instead of running an underground secret society or whatever they do up there.  

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

These problems seem preferable to a guy with a dufflebag full of money

I hear you, “monetizing” yer brand was inevitable once we started televising LeBron’s High School games, & I am glad we’re on the cutting edge of this, but you know the old saying, you don’t get a “little bit” pregnant.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, hhcmatt said:

The entire basketball team collectively has about the same reach as Adrian Martinez.

We’ll see by the time the season rolls around. We also don’t know how many followers of a star athlete are bots. Probably a decent share. 

Projecting the earnings of a market one year before it’s slated to begin - post-coronavirus- seems a little like a dart throw. 

On 6/13/2020 at 7:33 AM, swmckewon said:

We’ll see by the time the season rolls around. We also don’t know how many followers of a star athlete are bots. Probably a decent share. 

Projecting the earnings of a market one year before it’s slated to begin - post-coronavirus- seems a little like a dart throw. 

I was referring to just raw reach, not $$.  Doubtful that Martinez has been Mike Welch-ing his follower numbers so it's likely that everyone on the basketball team has about the same low percentage of bots following them.