Dachon Burke

he gone, and i think he was gone regardless of the suspension. kobe king plays the same position.

cam, burke, and green have all been suspended this year and are shooting a combined 53% from the FT line. have to wonder how committed these guys are to basketball.

Edited by FredsSlacks

27 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's had to have been a tough road for Burke because the guy who recruited him got fired and all of a sudden he's a dribble-drive player in a non-dribble drive system.  If he decides to transfer coming into this season then he's gambling with his playing career.

I'd love to see Burke and Miles reconnect. I'd root for that team to do well.

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

I suppose it’s never a terrible thing to be losing most of the guys on the worst team in the program’s history. 

Seriously, this is a mid-level Summit League team even with Burke and Mack. Why keep anyone who's not a freshman? The rest have shown us what they are. Mack has the talent, but maybe not the intangibles. The rest ... thanks for playing. It was what it was.

3 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Seriously, this is a mid-level Summit League team even with Burke and Mack. Why keep anyone who's not a freshman? The rest have shown us what they are. Mack has the talent, but maybe not the intangibles. The rest ... thanks for playing. It was what it was.

I mean, a lot of the help coming in had to sit out... but plenty of talent that arent freshman.

Guys who actually played this year who werent freshman:

Mataej Kavas- graduating

Haanif Cheatham-graduating

Dachon Burke- transferring

Thor- Will be SR/ provided leadership/guy off bench-- 

Jervay Green- will be SR/ I expect him to transfer

Cam Mack- will be JR/ If he gets his head on right, i think he has the ability to be a top tier guy for us--- He needs to buy in.

So to answer your question of players who were eligible and not freshman, only 3 options(now that Burke left). At this point I think 1 returns and that is Thor, but even that is an unknown. 

Usually these letters end with something about transferring or continuing basketball career elsewhere.  I do not see that in here.  I see an apology and a player saying he’s going to focus on academics for the remaining year.  I don’t think he has closed the door on Nebraska Basketball.... I don’t think this story is over yet. 

11 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Only guys on this squad I’d actively seek out to keep are Mack, Burke, and Thor (and that’s just out of respect for the young man as a person not necessarily as a player). And I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep if I didn’t get any of them. 

disclaimer, I’m not talking about guys like Easley, or other walk-ons. Yes I know he’s on scholly right now. Cross and Arop are alright, and they’re young, but they’re certainly replaceable. 

7 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

So to answer your question of players who were eligible and not freshman, only 3 options(now that Burke left). At this point I think 1 returns and that is Thor, but even that is an unknown. 

I sit corrected. I, too, hope Thor comes back to play a bench role for us.

Thanks!

If I had a crystal ball that would assure me Mack matures and buys in, then I would want Mack, Thor, and Ouedraogo to stay. Wouldnt mind Arop staying another year either just see how he develops. If Easley is okay fluctuating back and forth between scholarship and no scholarship during his career I am also 100% down to keep him.

5 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Only guys on this squad I’d actively seek out to keep are Mack, Burke, and Thor (and that’s just out of respect for the young man as a person not necessarily as a player). And I wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep if I didn’t get any of them. 

disclaimer, I’m not talking about guys like Easley, or other walk-ons. Yes I know he’s on scholly right now. Cross and Arop are alright, and they’re young, but they’re certainly replaceable. 

Anyone is replaceable when you win 7 games and lose 17 in a row.

This years teams problem was we had too many bench players (10-15 MPG) playing 30+ a game every night.

I would prefer we dont completely start over from scratch as we have seen what that can make a team look like (a very extreme example Ill admit). But I trust HCFH to keep the right 2-4 guys from this year's team and adjust their role properly.

9 minutes ago, _young1 said:

Usually these letters end with something about transferring or continuing basketball career elsewhere.  I do not see that in here.  I see an apology and a player saying he’s going to focus on academics for the remaining year.  I don’t think he has closed the door on Nebraska Basketball.... I don’t think this story is over yet. 

Its very strange that he sends it out at 2:30 AM.  Either there is way more to the story, which I believe is the case, or he just wanted to put that out on his own before Fred said he wasn't traveling.  Why do you need to focus on academics and not travel with your team for one more game?  

13 minutes ago, _young1 said:

I think the "focus on my academics and prepare for graduation" very strongly insinuates he will be a graduate transfer next season. To me, his message (posted in the middle of the night) seems like damage control.

I've been late to work before and while my boss didn't like it, I wasn't suspended a day without pay. Now, if I showed up late and was also drunk/high, I would expect there to be more severe consequences. 

I think Dachon has closed the door - and all the windows - on Nebraska Basketball.

2 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Anyone is replaceable when you win 7 games and lose 17 in a row.

Yes, if you try to keep the core. I think there were a few guys from this team that are good enough to be role players.

Guys(who played this year) I am excited about(if they are bought in)

Cam Mack- Cam is an emotional dude-- I actually appreciate his passion-- Just needs to mature a bit but I think he cares and wants to be successful.

Yvan Ouedraogo- Get him help and watch him flourish. I dont think he is a star but he can be a meaningful piece

Kevin Cross-Off the bench guy/ Needs another year to get his body right but I am actually a fan(at times)

Thor- I was down on Thor but I think he is a leader. He is an off the bench or 15-20 minute guy, but I like him as a piece.

I am not down on Akol or Charlie, I just dont think either fly of the page as guys who can help on a deeper team-- Akol showed flashes and I love Charlie hustle...