Yvan Ouedraogo

I think Yvan has a promising future.   I have not seen him play live but folks are describing a power athlete,  an athlete that is not fast twitch but is geared more towards power.  In watching him in highlights he might also be mixed muscle.     

I think he needs to model his game after Maric.  Maric was definitely in the endurance/power muscle group.   Maric was not a leaper but was very good in positioning for rebounding and defense.   Offensively,  he learned how to pin guys and developed a go to move and a counter move to improve his offensive game.    I think that is what Yvan needs to do.  

The hands issue is of concern but I don't think we can come to a conclusion on that yet.    As freshmen some players are hesitant and fumble fingered because they get ahead of themselves and are rushing.  It could also be a strength in the hand issue which can be solved by off season weight training.    Or it could be a legitimate case of stone hands.  I haven't necessarily seen that but again I haven't seen him live.

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Wes Unseld was not much of a leaper and seemed to do ok.

I also think that Yvan would have a shot at making an NBA roster in the 70s.

All jokes aside I think he can provide a Leslee Smith like value to this team and I mean this in a positive manner. For his lack of explosiveness and shooting ability he also seems to possess a good basketball IQ and can handle the pace of this offense.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

All jokes aside I think he can provide a Leslee Smith like value to this team and I mean this in a positive manner. For his lack of explosiveness and shooting ability he also seems to possess a good basketball IQ and can handle the pace of this offense.

Leslee Smith is a more than fair comparison. Yvan, fortunately, is only a FROSH; and he will continue to improve on all aspects of his game, presumably.

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Agreed - He also seems very coachable, which is going to help him improve the parts of his game that can get better. I don't think it was any coincidence that his big step forward mid-season occurred after he started breaking down his film with Coach Fred.

The majority of big kids are slower to develop, and he's younger than most (just in case you hadn't heard that yet). Hoping several months in the weight room and doing specific workouts will help him gain more explosiveness by November.

He definitely has some shortcomings in his game, but he also did some pretty amazing things this season for a true freshman, especially considering the level of competition in the Big Ten. Hopefully he can take more steps forward.

6 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Once again, remember he was only 17.  I'm not sure any other 17 year old in the United States would put up much better numbers in the Big Ten.

I was most impressed by the notion that Yvan seemed to be one of the few dudes on the squad who had appeared to be better later in the year. That's a solid "starting point," and I believe he also has a really great foundation to build on. I'm excited to see how this NU coaching (and Strength & Conditioning) staff can shape & mold this young Ouedraogo into a sculpted specimen & a B1G contributor going forward. GBR 

Edited by AuroranHusker

Yvan's explosion may or may not improve...much depends on his work in the weight room.  It is my understanding that he never spent much time lifting; and given thae fact that he was a late arrival to Lincoln, i am betting he will gain some explosion.

But another key for Yvan is improving his footwork and use of his body.  Both areas can and should be coached up.