Yvan Ouedraogo

36 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

He was definitely in a slump at the beginning of 2020 and then got it going again so his 5 game average. Overall his shooting percentage has slightly risen but it's been up and down along the way.

http://www.barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2020&p=Yvan Ouedraogo&t=Nebraska

Speaking of eye bias I was surprised that he was converting at a lower percentage than Jordy who chucked them in at a 44.7% clip his freshman year (Yvan currently at 42.9)  Both of them had very similar poor offensive rankings.  Yvan will get better but it's more a question of how much and how fast.  He's seemingly always going to be limited by his lack of ability to defend the rim and I'm unsure of how much that will keep his shooting percentage down.  FWIW Jordy in year 4 is productive as a 10 minute a game guy.

Productive at fouling, for sure. He's sitting at 9.4 fouls per 40min.

He has the size and the body type but hands need a lot of work. 

He's gotta have big hands but seems to lose control of the ball and it's loose in his palm when he shots.  Often shoots the ball from damn near his wrist. That's why we see so many missed bunnies.  A lot of the time when he's shooting it he has no part of the basketball being controlled by his fingertips. 

Not sure how to cure that...if it's a coordination thing that is just always going to be a problem or if he just needs more time handling and shooting a basketball.  Guy has a ton of potential but until this basic thing gets fixed, his offensive upside will be extremely low. 

Needs to slim down and increase explosiveness around the basket.  Cross seems to dunk with a lot more ease than Yvan, even though he's a couple inches shorter.  Yvan needs to be able to collect a pass or rebound near the basket and be able to jump straight up and attempt a dunk.

I know this is some criticism which is not generally received well on this board.  I think he's become MUCH more comfortable on the court on both ends, which is great.  He has had his fair share of travels but overall I think his footwork has improved and is somewhat of an asset and should get better.  His attitude/demeanor are 100% a positive and something we need more of.

But to take the next step he needs to get his body right, gain explosiveness, and do whatever it takes to fix his issues with gripping/shooting a basketball.

Edited by HF_

4 hours ago, HF_ said:

He's gotta have big hands but seems to lose control of the ball and it's loose in his palm when he shots.  Often shoots the ball from damn near his wrist. That's why we see so many missed bunnies.  A lot of the time when he's shooting it he has no part of the basketball being controlled by his fingertips. 

Not sure how to cure that...if it's a coordination thing that is just always going to be a problem or if he just needs more time handling and shooting a basketball.  Guy has a ton of potential but until this basic thing gets fixed, his offensive upside will be extremely low. 

Needs to slim down and increase explosiveness around the basket.  Cross seems to dunk with a lot more ease than Yvan, even though he's a couple inches shorter.  Yvan needs to be able to collect a pass or rebound near the basket and be able to jump straight up and attempt a dunk.

I know this is some criticism which is not generally received well on this board.  I think he's become MUCH more comfortable on the court on both ends, which is great.  He has had his fair share of travels but overall I think his footwork has improved and is somewhat of an asset and should get better.  His attitude/demeanor are 100% a positive and something we need more of.

But to take the next step he needs to get his body right, gain explosiveness, and do whatever it takes to fix his issues with gripping/shooting a basketball.

you are spot on. yvan is playing euro big man ball in the big ten against guys who are much bigger than him. That won't fly. I can't remember seeing a big man who looks as imposing as Yvan be so weak with the ball in his hands. He can't make a contested shot. Just spitballing here, I would guess at least 75% of his points this year are uncontested dunks, layups and free throws (lol) 

8 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

I'm in the minority i guess in seeing this improvement everyone else is. I looked at his per minute averages for the 11 non-conference games vs. the last 11 Big Ten games. His numbers are basically identical. He was slightly better down the stretch in rebounding and fewer turnovers and field goal percentage. He was slightly worse down the stretch in points and free throw %. Given the SOS was much tougher down the stretch, I suppose that is some improvement putting up the same numbers but against better teams, but numbers wise he didn't actually make much of a jump. 

Looking solely at the last eight games, Yvan is significantly better in nearly all statistical areas (sans the one awful stat of #24's 1-9 FT shooting vs Northwestern) than he was for the initial three-quarters of the 17 year old's freshman season.

23.0 minutes per game

52.3% FG% (23 of 44)

56.8% FT% (13 of 23 -- excluding NW, with that 1 horrible game it drops to 43.8% on 14 of 32)

7.5 points per game

8.3 rebounds per game

0.5 block per game

1.7 turnovers per game

2.0 fouls per game

Yvan's regular season averages:

21.5 min

42.9% FG%

47.6% FT%

5.8 pts

6.5 reb

0.3 blk

1.6 TO

1.7 fouls

Edited by AuroranHusker

The main thing I loved from Yvan was he was able to stay out of foul trouble for a lot of the year. As an international big, being 17, and with this being his first time playing American ball that's very good. Now him and Cross both played about 20 minutes a game, so that's part of the reason, but still was able to manage his fouls for a majority of the year. He has a future ahead of him

9 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Looking solely at the last eight games, Yvan is significantly better in all areas (sans the one awful stat of #24's 1-9 FT shooting vs Northwestern) than he was for the initial three-quarters of the 17 year old's freshman season.

23.0 minutes per game

52.3% FG% (23 of 44)

56.8% FT% (13 of 23 -- excluding NW, with that 1 horrible game it drops to 43.8% on 14 of 32)

7.5 points per game

8.3 rebounds per game

Fair enough but you can't just remove his 1-9 free throw performance because it's convenient. He was the biggest offender on that historic FT shooting day that cost us that win. If we're going to do that, i'll throw in his 2 pts, 4 rebs; 6 pts, 6 rebs; 0 pts, 1 rebs; 2 pts, 4 rebs he had in the 4 games immediately before the last 8 that would drop his averages in the last 12 games significantly. I guess what I'm saying is yeah he was alright for the last 8 games. He was also ok for a stretch in late Dec/early Jan. But he was bad in between then. His first four games in a Husker uniform he averaged 7.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg. To me he was up and down and then up and then down and then up again. I am hopeful he makes huge strides next year, but I haven't seen enough to think he'll play more than 10 mpg off the bench just yet. 

1 minute ago, GoBigFred said:

Fair enough but you can't just remove his 1-9 free throw performance because it's convenient. He was the biggest offender on that historic FT shooting day that cost us that win. If we're going to do that, i'll throw in his 2 pts, 4 rebs; 6 pts, 6 rebs; 0 pts, 1 rebs; 2 pts, 4 rebs he had in the 4 games immediately before the last 8 that would drop his averages in the last 12 games significantly. I guess what I'm saying is yeah he was alright for the last 8 games. He was also ok for a stretch in late Dec/early Jan. But he was bad in between then. His first four games in a Husker uniform he averaged 7.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg. To me he was up and down and then up and then down and then up again. I am hopeful he makes huge strides next year, but I haven't seen enough to think he'll play more than 10 mpg off the bench just yet. 

I didn't remove the "1-9" entirely, I thought it was an aberration -- and I also added his season averages to compare the 8-game stretch. I specifically mentioned that Yvan was better down the stretch when a lot of other dudes seemed to falter. So, yeah, the 8 games fit the scenario I presented originally.

Edited by AuroranHusker

16 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Which is fair. But the other side to consider is he didn't get here until August. Started behind the curve behind everyone and worked his way to being an impactful player. He has his flaws, but his defense (especially hedging. He forced quite a few turnovers with the hedge) and rebounding improved throughout the year. 

He's 17, almost 18 and has a full season of big ten play under his belt now, whereas Walker doesn't. He'll get from 20-25 minutes a game. Especially as he improves his game

9 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Which is fair. But the other side to consider is he didn't get here until August. Started behind the curve behind everyone and worked his way to being an impactful player. He has his flaws, but his defense (especially hedging. He forced quite a few turnovers with the hedge) and rebounding improved throughout the year. 

He's 17, almost 18 and has a full season of big ten play under his belt now, whereas Walker doesn't. He'll get from 20-25 minutes a game. Especially as he improves his game

Great point about Yvan's defensive prowess, a lot of that can not be quantified as readily as points, rebounds, etc. Ouedraogo was a force on D for Nebrasketball, whereas Cross was not.

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Great point about Yvan's defensive prowess, a lot of that can not be quantified as readily as points, rebounds, etc. Ouedraogo was a force on D for Nebrasketball, whereas Cross was not.

Love Yvan and I'm not trying to make this a Cross/Yvan debate. Both offer something this team will need next year. I've been more down on Cross coming back because there's more competition at the 4 next year. I'd welcome Cross and Yvan back with open arms 

Just now, thrasher31 said:

Love Yvan and I'm not trying to make this a Cross/Yvan debate. Both offer something this team will need next year. I've been more down on Cross coming back because there's more competition at the 4 next year. I'd welcome Cross and Yvan back with open arms 

I was simply comparing Yvan being the defensive guru in light of Cross misgivings on that end of the court. I think Ouedraogo has an opportunity to improve dramatically his SOPH season. And I have no idea what Cross will do next season, that really wasn't my point in bringing him up.

11 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I didn't remove the "1-9" entirely, I thought it was an aberration -- and I also added his season averages to compare the 8-game stretch. I specifically mentioned that Yvan was better down the stretch when a lot of other dudes seemed to falter. So, yeah, the 8 games fit the scenario I presented originally.

You are right, he ended the year strong. All I think he needs to do is lift weights like a mad man this summer, work on his free throw touch and have stronger hands around the basket. If he fixes all those 3 things he'll be closer to an NBA project player than a college project player. 

2 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

You are right, he ended the year strong. All I think he needs to do is lift weights like a mad man this summer, work on his free throw touch and have stronger hands around the basket. If he fixes all those 3 things he'll be closer to an NBA project player than a college project player. 

I hope he develops a lot more. He has the potential to do some good at NU.

I don't know what his summer plans are as far as national team play, but I'm hoping he stays in the states for much of it. (I hope he gets a chance to go home for a bit too cause that's important too.) With our season ending early this year, he's got a lot of time between now and the end of the semester to be in the weight room and gym. 

On 3/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, HF_ said:

Yvan is clearly a very, very impressive young man.  He is living and attending college in a foreign country while playing high level division one basketball at the age of 17.  By all accounts, he is a great kid, a hard worker, and his maturity levels are off the charts.  Nothing but props to Yvan as a person and as a fine young man.  But . . . 

As a player, this assessment is spot on.  Yvan has certain limitations that are going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to overcome in his attempts to become a difference maker at the Big 10 level.  First thing I noticed when watching Yvan play is that he literally shoots the ball from the back of his palm (bordering on his wrist as mentioned by HF).  Shooting this way makes it virtually impossible to have consistency, let alone good touch.  Trying to correct something like this over an off-season is almost impossible.  He has clearly been shooting this way his whole life.  If it was an easy fix, I imagine they would have done it prior the start of this season.  He now shoots this way by instinct, by habit.  Very, very difficult to change at this point.  This form of shooting affects not only jump shots, but free throws and even layups which should be controlled off the fingertips are coming off his palm instead.  

Yvon also has athletic limitations that will never change, no matter how much he works out or conditions his body.  Yvon is already considerably undersized as a center at about 6'8", but this is compounded by the fact he is a very, very S-L-O-W jumper.  When Yvan catches the ball under the basket, it takes him an eternity to catch, gather, get his balance, bend his knees, load and then jump.  This is why is constantly gets blocked.  This makes it virtually impossible to run pick-n-roll with him. He simply cannot gather and jump quick enough to have it all happen in one motion.  There are so many different types of athleticism.  Yvan moves around the court fairly well, but his lack of quick-jumping ability is a limitation that stifles everything a player at his size should be about.  And this will never change.  He may get a fraction quicker on the jump, and may get a fraction higher on the jump, but he is what he is.  This is why exceptional athletes are so sought after out of high school.  There are some things you cannot teach or manufacture.  Some have it, some don't.  Even when he does load and jump, he isn't particularly explosive, and he doesn't jump that high.  And I don't recall ever seeing him jump off one foot.  I could be wrong on this, but some guys are only 2-feet jumpers, and this severely limits their potential as well.  The comparison to Cross by HF is apt.  Cross is a much, much quicker and more explosive jumper--and I don't think anyone is going to argue this is because Cross is in better condition.  It is just natural ability, something Yvan doesn't have.  Problem with Cross is that he is only 6'5", is a terrible defender, and has no business playing center, but that is a different discussion.  

Yvan also has poor hands.  How many times did Mack or someone else drop a dime into his bread basket right under the basket, but Yvan bobbled the ball and by the time he secured it, the defender had recovered.  Admittedly, this is an area he could maybe improve some, but in most cases, guys with stone hands tend to always have stone hands.  This is another thing that usually tends to separate big men.  Some have nice soft hands, some don't, and that usually doesn't change much over their career.  Remember Moses Abraham.  That guy was a 5th year senior when he arrived, had played 4 years or Div. 1 college ball, and still couldn't catch a ball clean to save his life.  Had stone hands, and all the games and practices year-after-year didn't change his reality.  

Yvan's lack of height and slow jumping limits him on the defensive end.  I think we all saw that he was not a rim protector at all this year.  I would be shocked if that changes much over his career here.  This goes back to his limitations, slow jumper, lack of explosiveness, virtually no second jumping ability.  Yvan was way better than Cross on the defensive end, but that is not the standard we need to go by.  If we want to get into the top half of the B1G and go to the dance, we need players who are high level B1G players.  Time to stop comparing our players to other Nebraska players (current or past).  We should be comparing them to other teams players to see how we match up.  How many teams in the B1G would start Yvan?  Very very few, if any.  

Edited by NUdiehard

On 3/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, HF_ said:

I'm not concerned with his weight. At his age, and with our S&C, he will easily be able to put on some good weight. The rest can be fixed with some coaching.

6 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm not concerned with his weight. At his age, and with our S&C, he will easily be able to put on some good weight. The rest can be fixed with some coaching.

Explosiveness and vertical are what needs work.  Slim down with more muscle, he's got alot of booty that weighs him down

25 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Yvan is going to be scary good. I believe he will play in the league in 4 years 

I sure hope you’re right, but we’re so far apart on our diagnosis of his future we can’t even see each other. 

24 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Yvan is going to be scary good. I believe he will play in the league in 4 years 

Not seeing this upside but he could become a Venson Hamilton type in terms of being a double double guy as an upperclassman.

The only thing that concerns me is his free throws.  Everything else has been pretty darned impressive.  

I’m still curious if Mayen can play the 5.  He could create a lot of defensive problems for opponents if 5s have to guard him.  He’s also a very good shooter and can legitimately switch on perimeter screens.  I bet he rebounds as well as anyone we have to boot.