Yvan Ouedraogo

I was fairly skeptical of the kid in the finishing department for a good portion of the season. But, the novel thing, the kid got better as this season waned. When a lot of guys seemed to get worse as the season wore on, Drago played better (for the most part). And, then, just now I read his tweet from after the final regular season game, and I'll tell ya, I love this dude. He knows what's up with Freddy & Co. This will be better next year, I can feel it!

Edited by AuroranHusker

25 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I was fairly skeptical of the kid in the finishing department for a good portion of the season. But, the novel thing, the kid got better as the seasons waned. When a lot of guys seemed to get worse as the season wore on, Drago played better (for the most part). And, then I just read his tweet from after the final regular season game, and I'll tell ya, I love this dude. He knows what's up with Freddy & Co. This will be better next year, I can feel it!

oH SHIT THE KISS OF DEATH  HE GONE😐

3 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

You know like when they bring the coach into the press conference and say" this is our guy"  and two days later...

Gonzo

Yeah, I got the gist... I don't get the sense that this is a Nick Saban saying he's definitely not leaving the Dolphins, then soon thereafter leaving Miami to go to 'Bama.

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like most everybody on the board agrees with the sentiment that the player are sharing about the prospects for the future.

It's just disappointing how embarrassingly and history-breakingly bad of a season this turned out to be.

You can say the team has "improved" since UC Riverside and Southern Utah, but losing 16 straight isn't exactly the improvement I was expecting. 

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Not sure it is what anyone expected, but here we are and I to think better days are ahead.

Yeah...I don't anyone expected 7-24.   But I also don't think it's much of anything.   I thought we'd be an 11-12 win team in the preseason.   Then we lose Stevenson, eventually Curtis, Kavas and intermittent suspensions for Mack.   I had accepted this as a rebuilding year before we ever fired Miles.   It was just going to be.   There wasn't a lot of talent coming back (never believed for a second that Roby was returning regardless of the coach) whoever the coach was going to be.   I'm glad Hoiberg ripped the band aid off by being up front with guys like  Harris (think he could've been decent role player) Heiman, Davis, etc and start getting some of his guys in rather than delaying the inevitable.

At the end of the day....7 wins or 12 really don't make a lot of difference for me.  Either situation it's a rebuilding/foundational year.   I have no less confidence in Hoiberg now than I did 12 months ago to do something here.   It may take one extra year than I was expecting....but I still fully believe he's going to get it done.

Edited by nustudent

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like most everybody on the board agrees with the sentiment that the player are sharing about the prospects for the future.

It's just disappointing how embarrassingly and history-breakingly bad of a season this turned out to be.

Yes, most people on this board share the sentiment shared by Yvan and Haanif. But they posted on TWITTER. The rhetoric on Twitter is MUCH more negative than on this board.

So, if you're missing anything, it's Twitter. And if you can, you should keep it that way! 

11 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I was fairly skeptical of the kid in the finishing department for a good portion of the season. But, the novel thing, the kid got better as this season waned. When a lot of guys seemed to get worse as the season wore on, Drago played better (for the most part). And, then, just now I read his tweet from after the final regular season game, and I'll tell ya, I love this dude. He knows what's up with Freddy & Co. This will be better next year, I can feel it!

Glad to see that from Yvan.  A year in S&C program for him is going to be huge. If he can develop some offensive moves over the offseason he will be a load down low. 

14 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'm in the minority i guess in seeing this improvement everyone else is. I looked at his per minute averages for the 11 non-conference games vs. the last 11 Big Ten games. His numbers are basically identical. He was slightly better down the stretch in rebounding and fewer turnovers and field goal percentage. He was slightly worse down the stretch in points and free throw %. Given the SOS was much tougher down the stretch, I suppose that is some improvement putting up the same numbers but against better teams, but numbers wise he didn't actually make much of a jump. 

2 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I'm in the minority i guess in seeing this improvement everyone else is. I looked at his per minute averages for the 11 non-conference games vs. the last 11 Big Ten games. His numbers are basically identical. He was slightly better down the stretch in rebounding and fewer turnovers and field goal percentage. He was slightly worse down the stretch in points and free throw %. Given the SOS was much tougher down the stretch, I suppose that is some improvement putting up the same numbers but against better teams, but numbers wise he didn't actually make much of a jump. 

Sometimes you gotta go with your eyes vs. statistics.  

1 hour ago, GoBigFred said:

In the months of December and January he shot 35% front he field. In February he was at 54% and March 41%. In March he’s averaging nearly 5 more boards per game than January.

None of his numbers scream all American obviously but him in March compared to a few months ago, he’s better. Hoiberg has said many times that his guys make big leaps from year 1 to 2. Considering his age and body type I think we can expect him to be much improved next year. 

5 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Yes, most people on this board share the sentiment shared by Yvan and Haanif. But they posted on TWITTER. The rhetoric on Twitter is MUCH more negative than on this board.

So, if you're missing anything, it's Twitter. And if you can, you should keep it that way! 

It’s important to remember one of the guys who invented Twitter was a UNL “DROPOUT” he couldn’t cut the mustard @ the Harvard of the Plains.... 

I think the future is bright for Yvan.   Rebounding is always a nice skill to bring to the game.  His offense got better and his defense will get better.   

I think Nebraska should some potential this year and it was fun at times.  I saw enough for me to believe that Hoiberg can coach and he has a good staff.   I think Hoiberg's steady personality will get us there.   Since I had no expectations for this year I remain optimistic.    I think they have some nice players sitting in the wings.    I look forward to next year.

He was definitely in a slump at the beginning of 2020 and then got it going again so his 5 game average. Overall his shooting percentage has slightly risen but it's been up and down along the way.

http://www.barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2020&p=Yvan Ouedraogo&t=Nebraska

Speaking of eye bias I was surprised that he was converting at a lower percentage than Jordy who chucked them in at a 44.7% clip his freshman year (Yvan currently at 42.9)  Both of them had very similar poor offensive rankings.  Yvan will get better but it's more a question of how much and how fast.  He's seemingly always going to be limited by his lack of ability to defend the rim and I'm unsure of how much that will keep his shooting percentage down.  FWIW Jordy in year 4 is productive as a 10 minute a game guy.