uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 31 - at Minnesota

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Hoiberg has signed/kept 4 high school players.    He’s recruiting more.    Just cuz a high school kid gets butt hurt because he won’t be the man in year 1 doesn’t mean we are ignoring high school players 

I'm not disagreeing as much as I don't get why you're trying to debunk something that isn't actually a thing.

At one point today we had 3 true freshmen on the floor along with Thor & Jervay, hard to compete in a “Man’s” league with that lineup. I thought we’d scare .500 this year & that obviously didn’t happen. I could venture a guess as to who stays/goes for next year, but I’d have a better chance of predicting Nebraska’s Bowl game...

5 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

brfrad, you are right, so there is cause for some hope, I suppose, but the good programs are built on high school players, as I'm sure you know.

Until the "stars" currently considering NU sign I remain guarded. However, according to Rivals.com. NU is in the lead for PG Whitt, and PFs Clemence, Breidenbach and C Sanogo- all of whom are in the Top 100. 

Great programs are built on 5* HS players.  We will never be a Duke or Kentucky.  There have been many underrated and good teams built on lower level HS players that turn out to be solid AND transfers.  We actually have a coach that did that.  Miles did it a few years.  We don't ned 5*'s to dance and win there (though it would certainly help) and winning in the dance is something we have never done.

Creighton just won a share of the Big East with 4 high schoolers and 3 transfers in their 7 man rotation.  The transfers we have are more highly regarded than the Creighton kids.  Granted, all three of the high school backcourt kids were composite top 150 guys.  The biggest thing is getting the kids that not only have some talent but also “fit” (Read: chemistry and culture).  Yeah, kind of looking at you, Cam.  It is hard to find fit right away with a brand new roster.  I like to believe we will see it much more in year two, and then another jump in year 3.

If McDermott can put it together I have no doubt Fred can do it.

11 hours ago, busticket said:

Creighton just won a share of the Big East with 4 high schoolers and 3 transfers in their 7 man rotation.  The transfers we have are more highly regarded than the Creighton kids.  Granted, all three of the high school backcourt kids were composite top 150 guys.  The biggest thing is getting the kids that not only have some talent but also “fit” (Read: chemistry and culture).  Yeah, kind of looking at you, Cam.  It is hard to find fit right away with a brand new roster.  I like to believe we will see it much more in year two, and then another jump in year 3.

Completely agree. This may sound bad, but I don't really think "fit" and "team chemistry" when I think of Teddy Allen either. Hopefully the young man proves me wrong. 

Via UNL (always great when you lead with the number of available scholarship players)

Nebraska Post-Game Notes

• Nebraska, which had only seven available players on Sunday, used its eighth different starting lineup of the season against Minnesota.
  • Four Huskers scored in double figures marking the ninth time in 20 Big Ten games that Nebraska had at least four double-figure scorers.
  • Nebraska was 14-of-17 from the free-throw line, setting a season high in free throw percentage (82.4 percent) for the second straight game. The Huskers have hit 26-of-32 (81 percent) from the charity stripe the past two games.
  • Haanif Cheatham led Nebraska with 17 points, the 13th time this season he has led the Huskers in scoring. Cheatham has been in double figures 23 times this season, including seven of the last eight contests.
  • Thorir Thorbjarnarson scored 14 points and made one 3-pointer, moving him into a tie for 10th place on Nebraska’s junior 3-point chart.
  • Jervay Green added 15 points, his second-highest point total in a Big Ten game this season.
  • Kevin Cross had 10 points, reaching double figures for the eighth time this season and for the first time since Jan. 28.
  • Akol Arop scored a career-high five points and made the first 3-pointer of his Husker career.
  • Charlie Easley grabbed a career-high six rebounds.
  • Minnesota scored 107 points, becoming the first Husker opponent to score 100 points since TCU defeated Nebraska 101-89 in the second round of the NIT Tournament on March 15, 1999.
  • Minnesota hit 18 3-pointers to tie the Nebraska opponent record, while the Gophers’ Gabe Kalscheur made eight 3-pointers to tie the Nebraska opponent record for 3-pointers.

2 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I'm still not real comfortable with our shooting for next year, hoping we can address that with some transfers.

Iowa St hovered around 35-37% from deep under Hoiberg. Solid, but not great. 

But, they were elite from inside the arc under him when he got his players in. We know Fred dislikes the mid range game which to me says they were great around the rim. I can see next years team hover around that 3PT percentage above...but we need to get far better around the rim. And I think we will we with the big bodies we have coming in. Stevenson, Allen, and Kobe are all big bodied guards who can get to the rack. 

Iowa St 2PT% under Hoiberg and national ranking 

2011-47.8 #174
2012-50.3 #75

2013-51.9 #29

2014-54.4 #9

2015-54.3 #11

Notice the trajectory. This years team is shooting 46.7% inside the arc. Don’t be surprised if we are around that 50% number next year. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Iowa St hovered around 35-37% from deep under Hoiberg. Solid, but not great. 

But, they were elite from inside the arc under him when he got his players in. We know Fred dislikes the mid range game which to me says they were great around the rim. I can see next years team hover around that 3PT percentage above...but we need to get far better around the rim. And I think we will we with the big bodies we have coming in. Stevenson, Allen, and Kobe are all big bodied guards who can get to the rack. 

Iowa St 2PT% under Hoiberg and national ranking 

2011-47.8 #174
2012-50.3 #75

2013-51.9 #29

2014-54.4 #9

2015-54.3 #11

Notice the trajectory. This years team is shooting 46.7% inside the arc. Don’t be surprised if we are around that 50% number next year. 

And if you take away all of Yvan's shots this year, it goes up to 47.3%. Next year we will add

King at UW: 50.4%

Banton at WKU: 51.6%

Stevenson at Pitt: 54.1%

Allen at WV: 51.8%

We should be above 50.0% next year. Banton, Allen, Stevenson and King can all get to the rim and finish. Yvan needs to be much better next year, unless Walker is a real presence down low. 

Edited by GoBigFred

So good news and bad news:

We shot 82.4% from the line yesterday. But we're still the 3rd worst team in free throw percentage on the season.

If we go 0 for 11 from the line Wednesday then we drop to the 2nd worst free throw shooting team. But if we shoot 8 for 8 from the line then we jump up to the 4th worst free throw shooting team.

nebraska_ft_pct_20200309.jpg

51 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

So good news and bad news:

We shot 82.4% from the line yesterday. But we're still the 3rd worst team in free throw percentage on the season.

If we go 0 for 11 from the line Wednesday then we drop to the 2nd worst free throw shooting team. But if we shoot 8 for 8 from the line then we jump up to the 4th worst free throw shooting team.

So I SHOULD watch?

21 hours ago, busticket said:

If Nebraska cheats at basketball, there's a chance that any investigation will also harm the football program.  If Creighton cheats at basketball, nobody gives a shit.

2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If Nebraska cheats at basketball, there's a chance that any investigation will also harm the football program.  If Creighton cheats at basketball, nobody gives a shit.

Greg McD is a jackwagon. I'm glad Miles got the last one. Only hope the two can share a conference in their futures.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:
14 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If Creighton cheats at basketball, nobody gives a shit.

IF!?!?!?!?!?

Hey now. Let's not get on our high horse.

Our athletic program has had its own problems in the not-so-distant past.

We gave athletes textbooks that were on the recommended list, in addition to the required books. And we self-reported it to the NCAA. For shame!

9 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Wow

Sorry to offend you. It's obvious from your post history you're a fan of Creighton or at the very least a fan of both Nebraska and Creighton.

An assistant coach was caught on camera accepting bribes and was fired for it. If you really think we're dumb enough to believe Mac had no knowledge of that, well then....

4 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Sorry to offend you. It's obvious from your post history you're a fan of Creighton or at the very least a fan of both Nebraska and Creighton.

An assistant coach was caught on camera accepting bribes and was fired for it. If you really think we're dumb enough to believe Mac had no knowledge of that, well then....

I've stated many times before that I have nothing against CU. But I also understand if you hate them. It's a rivalry. I'm more calling out your reveling on the injury of student athletes.

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

I've stated many times before that I have nothing against CU. But I also understand if you hate them. It's a rivalry. I'm more calling out your reveling on the injury of student athletes.

I'm not reveling on his injury. I feel very bad for that PLAYER. 

I do not feel bad at all for Creighton fans who are now very sad that their postseason chances have likely taken a big hit. Big difference.