uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 31 - at Minnesota

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

There are going to be a lot of tough conversations to be had this off-season with the boys.  Will always love and cheer for my Huskers and anyone suited up for NU, but I just don't know if these guys will be able to get er done.  Trust Fred, trust the process, but I think we need a new... just about everything.

Don't even know if there needs to be a lot of tough conversations.   I think it's pretty obvious and I'm guessing alot of those guys know it too.  How many of the guys on the floor today will be in our top 8 next year.   Maybe 2.   It'll change and it's already in motion.   It's not like we have to go find alot of those guys.  We have guys here.   We have guys on the way (and they are guys with proven P5 experience, not just hoping.   It'll change and it'll change dramatically and soon.

Of those on the current team, who will be in the rotation next year? Perhaps Ouedraogo and Thobjarnarson as the only likely- and that is if they return. Both might want to evacuate (one to a functional team, the other to overseas professional ball). Cross might come back but who knows? The rest are doubtful, and if they do what does that portend? Probably another gruesome season. Without two-three "real" recruits- meaning Top 50 high school players- I expect more of the same next year. There won't be much returning production, and they won't have played as a team. That is fine in the summer when we comments like, "when we are moving the ball quickly we're pretty damn good". Bullshit. They haven't landed anyone from high school that is highly rated. In fact, they lost local Top 100 Williams and don't have a shot at the only 5 Star high-schooler in Nebraska history. The recruiting momentum that seemed palpable early on seems to have produced nothing so far. We have a disgruntled transfer, and two juco players coming in. Zero high-school stars! Unless this is rectified I think Hoiberg-ball will be the latest, and certainly last chance for this program. 

Agree? Disagree?

1 minute ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Of those on the current team, who will be in the rotation next year? Perhaps Ouedraogo and Thobjarnarson as the only likely- and that is if they return. Both might want to evacuate (one to a functional team, the other to overseas professional ball). Cross might come back but who knows? The rest are doubtful, and if they do what does that portend? Probably another gruesome season. Without two-three "real" recruits- meaning Top 50 high school players- I expect more of the same next year. There won't be much returning production, and they won't have played as a team. That is fine in the summer when we comments like, "when we are moving the ball quickly we're pretty damn good". Bullshit. They haven't landed anyone from high school that is highly rated. In fact, they lost local Top 100 Williams and don't have a shot at the only 5 Star high-schooler in Nebraska history. The recruiting momentum that seemed palpable early on seems to have produced nothing so far. We have a disgruntled transfer, and two juco players coming in. Zero high-school stars! Unless this is rectified I think Hoiberg-ball will be the latest, and certainly last chance for this program. 

Agree? Disagree?

Dont we lead for a couple of 4* top 100 high school players?

Welp, just finished watching the game on delay. Even with fast forward it was probably less pleasant than my colonoscopy. At least I was sedated for that one. Now, on to the tournament. I'll bet the Hoosiers are quaking now. Although if we could somehow win that one, it would be a nice touch and possibly knock them off the bubble. That is my positive thought for the day.

13 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Agree? Disagree?

Miles turned it around with transfers.  He had zero star high school players.  Brought in Petteway and Pitchford to play with a few other mid level high school recruits.  Shields, Parker, Rivers, Webster.  Then, after making the NCAA tournament gathered top 150 recruits like Watson, Morrow, Allen, along with more transfers.  We had down years while these players developed. It has worked before, not having high school stars.  I have more faith in Fred in sustaining that success than Miles. 

2 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Miles turned it around with transfers.  He had zero star high school players.  Brought in Petteway and Pitchford to play with a few other mid level high school recruits.  Shields, Parker, Rivers, Webster.  Then, after making the NCAA tournament gathered top 150 recruits like Watson, Morrow, Allen, along with more transfers.  We had down years while these players developed. It has worked before, not having high school stars.  I have more faith in Fred in sustaining that success than Miles. 

You know anyone who coached ball in the Midwest and went to 4 straight tournaments using transfers?

Guys we scored 75 today with Mack and Burke in Lincoln and Easley playing 33 minutes.

To many missed gimmies at the rim

Don't need to mention the defense, that horse has been dead and decayed for the last month,

FT shooting today was finally Div 1 level.

Going forward I have no clue who or who will not be back.  A couple of the young guys have shown signs that with some work and improvement they may be good for us.  

Hopefully, we won't have to deal with our best player not understanding he is not above the team rules.

brfrad, you are right, so there is cause for some hope, I suppose, but the good programs are built on high school players, as I'm sure you know.

Until the "stars" currently considering NU sign I remain guarded. However, according to Rivals.com. NU is in the lead for PG Whitt, and PFs Clemence, Breidenbach and C Sanogo- all of whom are in the Top 100. 

7 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

brfrad, you are right, so there is cause for some hope, I suppose, but the good programs are built on high school players, as I'm sure you know.

Until the "stars" currently considering NU sign I remain guarded. However, according to Rivals.com. NU is in the lead for PG Whitt, and PFs Clemence, Breidenbach and C Sanogo- all of whom are in the Top 100. 

They may be built on high school kids but the ones they are built on aren't coming here with our history.  Granted it only takes one.

I keep thinking that only a slight increase in talent will result in way more points, especially at the rim and at the line.  

Defensively, more length and lateral quickness will make a huge difference as well.  The off-season will be fascinating.  

Again, I’m not really seeing flawed game plans.  It looks like basketball on both ends to me.  But today’s lineup was basically a D2 roster.  A lineup of Banton, King, Allen, Mayen, and Yvan probably beats Minnesota with the same gameplan.

I cannot wait to see Fred and Doc with a real squad next season.  

57 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Actually, yes according to Rivals.com. They are in the lead for PG Whitt, and PFs Clemence, Breidenbach and C Sanogo. Until they sign I will remain deeply skeptical. 

The fan future cast on Rivals means absolutely nothing. And the only recruiting analyst that’s picked Nebraska for Sanogo and Whitt is sunshine pumping Washut. I would take all of those with a grain of salt at the moment, until national analysts come in with predictions. 

3 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

The fan future cast on Rivals means absolutely nothing. And the only recruiting analyst that’s picked Nebraska for Sanogo and Whitt is sunshine pumping Washut. I would take all of those with a grain of salt at the moment, until national analysts come in with predictions. 

If it was Clouse I’d buy that.   Washut is pretty good 

1 hour ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

We aren’t a good program, probably never will consistently be one. The key is to be different. Even so being different is going to require keeping atleast a third of your roster in tact from year to year 

With the guys we have sitting out (Banton, Stevenson, Walker), the guys we have coming in (Allen, Mayen, King) and the guys we probably have coming back (Yvan, Cross, Thor), that's a 5- to 8-win conference team. If we add some more pieces that are better than what we have, we might sniff .500 and postseason play. 

Give that group a year to play together in a Hoiberg system, add in a few players like Tominaga, Whitt and Sanogo (minus Thor), and we have a potential NCAA team in Year 3. I can see it, and I've seen 58 years of heartache.

That light ahead may not be another oncoming train.

Beat the Hoosiers!

Edited by jayschool

11 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Nevertheless, I still wouldn’t take too much out of it until national analysts come in and vote. 

Not inserting them into the lineup just yet. But just saying it goes against the theory that we don’t recruit high school players.    Curtis, Cross, Arop and Yvan would pry agree too