2020-2021 Husker BB Team

Cazzie22

I tend to be an optimistic person so as stated before think we will be ok.  As far as how everything fits together skill wise each year is different.  Look what happened in Amy's second year.  That big jump was totally unexpected.  I will remain positive watching this new group work together in putting together a team that we will enjoy rooting for.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but I think we take our lumps next year.  We are replacing 4 seniors, and 3 quality, third year in the system players, with a bunch of question marks.  One could argue, Leigha Brown was special.  Nicea was our most athletic defensive player, and Hannah set a ton of records while playing out of position most of her career.  We do have Taylor returning, and I like the potential of Porter.  Still, we will need a lot of "exceeded expectations", with regard to the new kids coming in, if we are going to match this past season.  And, last season was nothing to write home about.  Again, sorry to be a bummer.    

Edited by 12dozen

Ya it's tough to be optimistic about anything at the present time with the world predicament we are now in.  I think for whatever reason our skill sets and mental toughness just didn't mesh last season into the team we thought we would have.  Not blaming any of the players but it just didn't work.  We will see if this new group will improve on that.  We can touch base at the end of the season to see how it all worked out.

On 4/12/2020 at 3:28 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

i was/am hoping huskers in the running for Sophia Hart...6'3" post from Farmington, Mn. although, rumors are it is between minny and iowa-----however, with iowa just getting a commit from addison o'grady, maybe huskers can sneak in.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/238931

Marylands the team to beat for Hart

So the 20-21 season is good news in terms of getting some transfers to bolster the team.  The bad news is we have the same coaching staff which has proven to be ineffective in fixing problems.  Several things  have remained issues with the current coaching staff the last few seasons to include turnovers; lack of offensive rebounding; defensive issues at times; numerous missed close in shots; and questionable offensive schemes/development particularly for the 4/5 position players.  So it looks like the 2020-21 NE women's basketball team will likely be another season of mediocrity  or less.  Last year's 10th place finish in the Big Ten does not cut it nor loosing to Creighton for 4 years running with them shooting 15 3's in 16; 11 in 17; 5 in 18; and 14 in 19!!!

14 hours ago, Redhac said:

So the 20-21 season is good news in terms of getting some transfers to bolster the team.  The bad news is we have the same coaching staff which has proven to be ineffective in fixing problems.  Several things  have remained issues with the current coaching staff the last few seasons to include turnovers; lack of offensive rebounding; defensive issues at times; numerous missed close in shots; and questionable offensive schemes/development particularly for the 4/5 position players.  So it looks like the 2020-21 NE women's basketball team will likely be another season of mediocrity  or less.  Last year's 10th place finish in the Big Ten does not cut it nor loosing to Creighton for 4 years running with them shooting 15 3's in 16; 11 in 17; 5 in 18; and 14 in 19!!!

Just a wild guess. You don't like the coaching staff?  Who would have thunk.  😉

• 2 weeks later...

5-7, SLCC Juco Guard from Dalles Oregon with three years of eligibility remaining.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/womens-basketball/womens-basketball-nebraska-lands-commit-from-juco-sharpshooter-ashley-scoggin/article_c34c1c5e-7089-5dd4-b613-a476bacd3ec6.html

Scoggin becomes a key option, especially from beyond the 3-point line. She hit 52 of 138 (37.7%) 3-pointers for SLCC while averaging 10 points, four rebounds and 2.19 assists per game. She hit 95.5% of her free throws.

Supposed to be a 3 shooter.  More than overdue need. We're thin at the capability. Hope she can deliver.  Will be immediately eligible....great !

This has turned into the Hoiberg show.  :)   ......works for him, so we'll see on the women's experiment next season. Hope the team can get on the floor soon....much, much together practice needed. 

Edited by redsteve

On 4/12/2020 at 1:43 PM, HUD said:

As for guards we are pretty well stocked up for the next two years especially if Dilliard will be eligible and Cayton healthy.   According to my math we will have 8 guards for 20/21 and 11 for 21/22 with the addition of Weidner, Moriarty and Coley.  If everyone stays it looks like we still have 2 or 3 scholarships left to give depending if Whitney Brown ultimately earns one.

And now one more.  I hope she is an excellent addition.  But, where are the "Bigs"?

I think our newest signee fills a nice need for us.  I haven’t personally seen her play but knowing the history of success of her juco and looking at her stats from last season I think what went getting is likely a “game manager” pg who can play off the. Ball also.   I love it that she played for a juco that won most of its games and she led the team in minutes played.   I also love it that she has 3 years left and avg a little less than 2  turnovers per game   She is going to shoot it well enough that at end of games it gives u and extra decision making guard that can hit ft. But she isn’t going to be a penetrating drive and dish pg based on stats.  Only shot about 15 ft last year I think so she isn’t spending time n paint.  My guess is she is a ball mover with high iq that gives us some leadership and ball movement and can shoot 3 well enough to space the floor