2020-2021 Husker BB Team

Cazzie22

Brown info summary:

>>Leigha Brown-entered the transfer portal on 4-2-2020

>Sophomore Year-She averaged 26 minutes, 14.4 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists as a sophomore.

>Freshman Year-She averaged 9.6 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.5 assists.

>High School-Brown averaged 28.0 points, 11.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.7 steals and 1.4 blocks per game as a senior in 2017-18. It followed her junior season when she averaged 22.9 points, 10.8 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.2 blocks . She chose Nebraska over Xavier, Belmont, Western Michigan, Wright State, Indiana State, Youngstown State, American and IUPUI.

NE 2020-2021 Women's Basketball 9 Team Members as of 4/2/2020

Below are capsule information on the remaining 9 team members currently to include what they have done at NE thus far; what they did in high school; and some of my comments:

>>Kate Cain-Senior

>Junior Year-She ranked third in the NCAA with 3.4 blocks per game, while adding 9.3 points and a team-best 7.2 rebounds.

>Sophomore Year-Averaged averaged 7.5 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 23 minutes per game.

>Freshman Year-Averaged 9.9 points and team bests of 7.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks in 2017-18

>High School-As a senior, she averaged 25.2 points, 12.3 rebounds and 7.9 blocks per game.

She averaged 24.3 points, 15.0 rebounds and 8.0 blocks per game as a junior.

Kate needs to work on her quickness and vertical. She is a liability at times when playing more athletic centers who get shots off to score. She has not yet evolved to the scoring level and rebounding levels she had as a senior in high school. Seems like the staff has not developed her moves and shooting which may also be due to the offense being run.

>>Taylor Kissinger-Likely Medical Redshirt Junior

>Junior Year-Sat out most of season with hip surgery. Couple early games with good 3 point shooting.

>Sophomore Year-She averaged 8.9 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.2 assists and tied the Nebraska season three-point field goal percentage record (.456, 62-136)

>Freshman Year-She averaged 10.0 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 25 games with seven starts after missing 7 games to either illness or injury.

>High School-As a senior in 2017, she averaged 24.2 points and 9.0 rebounds despite recovering from a wrist injury. Missed a combined 27 games as a junior and senior because of wrist injuries. As junior she averaged 28.8 points and 8.2 rebounds after returning from a broken wrist.

She will need to continue to be a strong 3 point shooter and continue to evolve her game plus work on rebounding.

>>Sam Haiby-Junior

>Sophomore Year-She scored (10.0 ppg) and assists (3.3 pg) while leading Nebraska in steals (1.5 spg) in 2019-20. Also had 4.2 rebounds a game.

>Freshman Year-She averaged 10.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

>High School-As a senior averaged 25.1 points, 7.1 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game. As a junior, she averaged 22.1 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 4.1 steals.

She will need to be a strong go to the basket player especially with Brown gone. Likely will need to be help as point guard until the other guards develop.

>>Isabelle Bourne-Sophomore

>Freshman Year-She averaged 5.9 points and 4.4 rebounds while playing in all 30 games and averaging 17 minutes a game. She also had 29 blocks for the season.

>High School-Bourne averaged 8.4 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 23.1 minutes per game for the Australian Gems Under 19 National World Cup Team (finished 2nd to USA). Also played on 2017 and 2018 national teams.

Will need to keep developing her game as a scorer (hard to know what her upside is) and hopefully she can stay out of more situations where she was the victim of fouls called on her at times.

>>MaCenzie Helms-Sophomore

>Freshman Year-Limited play after summer leg surgery and recovery and appeared in 13 games

>High School-Gatorade Connecticut High School Player-of-the-Year honors as a senior by averaging 26.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, 6.6 assists and 4.3 steals. As junior averaged 17.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 4.0 steals per game.

From what little she played last season, she had a few good passes, but first impression is she is a long ways from her senior year playing level, so a surprise higher level of play from her would be great.

>>Trinity Brady-Sophomore

>Freshman Year-Brady missed Nebraska’s first 10 games as part of the concussion protocol. She had limited played in 17 consecutive games before missing final three games with tendonitis.

>High School-She averaged 21 points and 7.8 rebounds for Lawrence North but transferred to Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (nationally known team) in Chattanooga, Tennessee, for her senior season. Could not find stats for her senior season.

Hard to assess from her limited play level last year, but did show some potential flashes. Likely just needs playng time to possibly get closer to her high school junior level of play.

>>Annika Stewart-Freshman

>High School-As a senior she averaged 18.7 points a game and 4.3 rebounds a game.

She averaged 12.2 points and 7.0 rebounds as a junior for 26-3 Wayzata.

Should be a good add with improved scoring as a senior. At 6-3 hopefully be a help on the boards and defensively as well inside.

>>Ruby Porter-Freshman

>High School-For the South Australia U20 Women playing in 7 games in 2/20 she ave 12.71 pts; 4.14 reb; and 4.14 assists. As a member of the Sturt Sabres in Australia's Premier League, Porter averaged 15.9 points per game at the U20 national championships in February of 2019. In April of 2018, Porter averaged 16.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.6 steals in helping South Australia to a silver medal at the U18 National Championships.

Somewhat of an unknown as only partial season stats but has played at higher levels in Australia so hope she comes and plays as well a Bourne did as a freshman.

>>Whitney Brown-Freshman

>High School-As a senior she averaged 17.5 points a game, 4 rebounds, and 3.3 assists. As a junior she averaged 16.9 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.9 steals per game.

A point guard from a lower class level school but has done well at that level. Hope she is a positive from the get go.

>>>>Where to from here for next season and beyond??????

Before Brown just jumped off the boat, playing next year with 10 players looked possibly doable without any injuries. Now down to 9 without last year's leading scorer in Brown gone, it is not so much doable as now only 4 players return with significant game experience. As the above information on the present 9 remaining players reflects, if all players played near their high school experience levels this would bode well for the season. Apparently the transfer portal rule is also raising havoc with other teams nation-wide including other conference teams. Assuming Nebraska could get a couple transfers to come in this would help but likely to be at the middle of the conference pack or lower year. Maybe their will need to be a tryout from the NE college women's ranks for possible at least practice players. A couple issues have remained issues with the current coaching staff the last few seasons to include turnovers; lack of offensive rebounding; defensive issues at times; numerous missed close in shots; and questionable offensive schemes/development particularly for the 4/5 position players.

After this past year, Williams has 3 years left on her contract to the end of the 22-23 season. After an 11-5 Big Ten 3rd place record in 2017-18, she has been getting paid $626K a year for the 6th place finish of 9-9 in 18-19, and 10th place finish of 7-11 in 19-20. Her recruiting efforts have not resulted in getting a solid point guard for several years, unless the recent recruited ones pan out. The just recent entry to the transfer pool of 3 players does not reflect positively on the program when 2 of these players are a couple of the better players with 2 years remaining of eligibility. She does not deserve a raise and her contract should not be extended. Likely Moos and Logsdon need to do an in depth review of the program for what corrective issues may be needed to include possible dismissal. With the current NE women's basketball facilities and improved coaching along with securing more higher level players, it would seem the goals should be finishing in the top half of the Big Ten as well achieving some success in the NCAA tournament.

Wasn't she from a much earlier class....2016??  YES, he was committed to Nebraska, and left as part of the Yori blowup....the Nicea, Doyle class

OK...I see why she's still around......missed a couple of years with injuries.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2018/12/20/california-g-micole-cayton-out-for-season/38772435/

Edited by redsteve

3 hours ago, huskerchode said:

I think she’s pretty athletic but has been bitten by the injury bug a few times.  Sure would be nice to have her back.

It also looks like she had a pretty good freshman year at Cal and then all the injuries hit.  Hope she becomes a Husker!

At this stage, any warm bodies might be helpful.

I agree that, given our needs, she would be a nice addition.  I have long been conflicted on whether i am comfortable with the idea of 25 yo athletes competing with 19 year olds.  But this one would make me happy.  Funny how wishing the best for my home team can erode by objectivity!

WOW, a Grad Transfer with Three Years Left.   Just imagine what that could do for a program if she were to transfer and hit her stride!  😈  (if a Grad transfer transferred again would they then have to sit-out a year?)

(Edit:  If it sounds too good to be True......... :Lol:)

I have no idea about Mi'Cole Cayton's degree or her interests (academic or athletic pursuits?), but with three years eligibility left a school's academic programs/offerings might be the deciding factor.

Edited by Red Don

Would highly doubt she has 3 years left.  Normally NCAA gives a kid 5 years to complete 4.  Occassionally on appeal they will give them a 6th year to finish their 4 years if they have a redshirt transfer year and a subsequent injury redshirt year.   

It looks like this young lady was at Cal 4 years and played a lot her freshman year, then had injuries and redshirted 2nd year and again got injured early ear 3rd season.  It doesn't look like she is listed on Cal's stat sheet for 19-20 even though she is listed on their roster.  Can''t imagine ncaa let her redshirt 3 seasons in a row.  For her sake i hope she is correct but more likely scenario is she has 1 or maybe 2 years left.

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/mi-cole-cayton/14645

Eligibility Timeline
Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college.
Edited by kansashusker

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Because she knows it was a mistake ;) and she would get to play all she wants barring an injury again!!

In reality she may have actually liked Nebraska as a school...but the coach leaving made her think twice about her commitment. And the NCAA let kids go elsewhere (with no penalty or loss of a year when a coach is booted.)

If she can stay healthy...., and she's had a lot of exposure to the college game already... I'm all for her giving it a shot here.

Edited by redsteve

3 hours ago, redsteve said:

In reality she may have actually liked Nebraska as a school...but the coach leaving made her think twice about her commitment. And the NCAA let kids go elsewhere (with no penalty or loss of a year when a coach is booted.)

If she can stay healthy...., and she's had a lot of exposure to the college game already... I'm all for her giving it a shot here.

If she didn't like the coach the first time doubt she likes her the second time round. And if she liked the school, why not give it a year. then transfer out. Just don't think she will come here. And if she does, you can all say we told you so.

Edited by Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

If she didn't like the coach the first time doubt she likes her the second time round. And if she liked the school, why not give it a year. then transfer out. Just don't think she will come here. And if she does, you can all say we told you so.

Huh ?   Didn't like the coach....what coach?  Am I missing something?  I see it as she simply wanted to play for Yori. When Yori left, Clayton left because she wouldn't get to play for the coach that recruited her. Happens all the time when a coach gets fired, kids leave because the coach that recruited them is gone.

Doubt Coach Amy had anything to do with Clayton going elsewhere, the first time around...otherwise why would Clayton be considering playing for Coach Williams now?

It's not a big deal  now anyway.....water way under the bridge, and long gone.

Edited by redsteve

IIRC the incoming coach (Amy Williams) may have had face-to-face meetings (or at least some contact) with all the recruits to see if she could keep them committed.  Nevertheless Kathleen Doyle and Mi'Cole Cayton were two who decided to go elsewhere.  Nieca Eliley, Hannah Whitish and Grace Mitchell re-affirmed their commitments.

Getting back to the original thread......

It now looks like next year's team will be totally different. Complete shake up. Coach may even get another big hopefully. Has acquired lots of guards coming in, and have some guards returning too. 

I kind of see the situation like where we were when Connie left, maybe not so extreme, but similar situation maybe. Those gone... now are gone...not going to loose any sleep over it.

Have to think the team will  be in a positive state of mind...actually this opens up opportunities for everyone returning, and the newbies coming in. 

Can already envision who might start, but when they're all on the same court and working out together (this post corona summer hopefully) ...the coaches will get a feel for who's - who so to speak. Who can do what well. The freshmen will get used to college and their new teammates...will be lots of new teammates.

Real game inexperience for many, will be the name of the game. We're kind of starting over really. The past is the past...again....  We'll go through the re-build again like a few years ago. But for one I'm ready to start once again, ...move on to bigger and better things for the squad.

We in a better position than Amy's first year. Won't have to start so many freshmen, but will be pretty mixed in game experience. The nucleolus of a nice team is there. Hope all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.... will be fun to watch. 

Movin on !

Edited by redsteve

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Coach may even get another big hopefully

We definitely need one or two.  Can't make it with only three like we now have.  We don't need a starter but backup will be extremely important with injuries, foul trouble etc.  Plus we only have Kate for one more year.

As for guards we are pretty well stocked up for the next two years especially if Dilliard will be eligible and Cayton healthy.   According to my math we will have 8 guards for 20/21 and 11 for 21/22 with the addition of Weidner, Moriarty and Coley.  If everyone stays it looks like we still have 2 or 3 scholarships left to give depending if Whitney Brown ultimately earns one.

I like the makeup of next years team.

back court: Miss Cayton and Miss Haiby assuming Miss Cayton is healthy.  Miss Helms and Miss Brady off the bench.

ability to drive improved

ability to defend ( due to increase in athleticism should be improved)

ability to dish should be improved just based on increased ability to drive and in truth Both Helms and Cayton will be more natural fits at PG

3 Miss Kissinger and Miss Porter (platoon?)

ability to shoot should be improved

ability to dish ( should be improved due to shooting improvement, which necessarily stretches floor)

ability to defend (likely takes a step back.  Going to be a bit tough replacing Nicea's length and athleticism)

ability to get to the rim ( likely takes a step back, Miss Brown's athleticism not easily replaced)

front court

Miss Cain and Miss Bourne

should improve across the board.

I'd like to see Kate develope skills going to the basket rather than falling away.  To the basket creates more fouls, higher shooting percentage and better rebounding position.

I felt Miss Bourne was to timid last year.  I'd really like to see her exert her will.  I really think she could and should be a force.

Wild card who will step up to spell them with quality minutes?

Over all we should be improved.

Anyway a few random thoughts, how do you guys see next year shaping up?