2020-2021 Husker BB Team

Cazzie22

Losing a kid to a hometown naia school simply means the kids wants to be around family and wants way less time spent with basketball.   Will b a 60 percent reduction in hours spent per year with b-ball related team stuff.   May well play Volleyball too. Losing a kid to an naia school says way more about the kid that left than the program they left.  

Edited by kansashusker

1 minute ago, All About the Corn said:

If Brown stays, then Bourne could very well be our number 2 scorer. Really both Brown and Bourne need to be around 30 minutes a game. Would like to see us use Brown as more of a point forward as she can not only get her own shot but could help her teammates score as well. 

What makes you think Brown is going to transfer? The guy that is close to the program, said that the two that had moved on would be all that would leave.

Let's hope that Brown stays. Losing her would be catastrophic. And I think that to be anywhere near competitive in conference play,  it is essential that we find find a couple contributors in the portal.  Just ask yourself:  putting the talents of Porter, Stewart and Brown on one side of the teeter totter and Eilely, Whitish, Mitchell, Veerbeek, and Mershon on the other .... well especially when you add the experience factor, it's pretty easy to see which is the greater mass of talent.  i cheer for this staff. I want them to succeed. But I see a troubled season coming

57 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

Let's hope that Brown stays. Losing her would be catastrophic. And I think that to be anywhere near competitive in conference play,  it is essential that we find find a couple contributors in the portal.  Just ask yourself:  putting the talents of Porter, Stewart and Brown on one side of the teeter totter and Eilely, Whitish, Mitchell, Veerbeek, and Mershon on the other .... well especially when you add the experience factor, it's pretty easy to see which is the greater mass of talent.  i cheer for this staff. I want them to succeed. But I see a troubled season coming

Brown is here, and has been. No indication she will leave (fingers crossed).  With regards to next year, we are losing Eliely, Whitish, Mitchell, Veerbeek, Mershon, and Hudson, and adding Stewart, Porter, and a walkon.  Not sure that teeter totter gets off the ground.  Still time to upgrade the roster, but recruiting track record makes one wonder.  

1 hour ago, Tom Jones said:

Again, What makes you guys think that BROWN is leaving? Please enligten the rest of us.

The lack of response indicates to me that its not so much thinking, or indications, that Leigha will leave as it is recognizing the Possibility of her leaving (and impact on team prospects).  After all, whoever thought Kayla or Ashtyn would leave?   Lack of playing time would not seem to be a motivation for her to consider leaving; I'm not so sure how she feels about her pace of development or lack of a PG to create opportunities.

I could see a few reasons for her leaving.  1.  Amy snubbed her all year by not starting the best all around player that made everyone on the floor better with her presence and giving her team the best chance to get a good start instead of digging ourselves out of a hole almost every game.  2.  As Red Don pointed out, having a score first, pass second point guard in Sam hurts the flow of the offense.  3. No player development besides her and Bourne.  4.  Amy subs way to much regardless of how players are playing.  That's what lost us a few of those close ones.  5.  She'll never average over 30 minutes a game because that's not Amy's style where she could go to many other schools and do so.  6.  She was still 4th in minutes played.  7.  They'll never win a big ten title with Amy there (recruiting, development, subbing patterns).  I hope she doesn't transfer but wouldn't blame her if she did.  Trying to think of reasons why she'd stay at this point.         

1 minute ago, jessie said:

I could see a few reasons for her leaving.  1.  Amy snubbed her all year by not starting the best all around player that made everyone on the floor better with her presence and giving her team the best chance to get a good start instead of digging ourselves out of a hole almost every game.  2.  As Red Don pointed out, having a score first, pass second point guard in Sam hurts the flow of the offense.  3. No player development besides her and Bourne.  4.  Amy subs way to much regardless of how players are playing.  That's what lost us a few of those close ones.  5.  She'll never average over 30 minutes a game because that's not Amy's style where she could go to many other schools and do so.  6.  She was still 4th in minutes played.  7.  They'll never win a big ten title with Amy there (recruiting, development, subbing patterns).  I hope she doesn't transfer but wouldn't blame her if she did.  Trying to think of reasons why she'd stay at this point.         

Best player on the team. Best scorer we have. and prolly the best rebounder.

I was going into next season, thinking we could be in a decent position...but now.......just a little cautious about any predictions.

There's going to be lots of changes coming next fall. Maybe even more new players (in addition to expected recruits.) so things may look a lot different. 

So, not thinking too much this early... about who might start. And doubt we lose any more to transfer. Rebounding will be an issue again, after losing 2 forwards. Need more newbies that will battle for the ball...this could be the key to the puzzle

We may be ok at the guard positions, especially if Kissenger plays the whole season. We may have enough for a set of starters, and a couple more, but after that...will be the big question. Will have a lot of new blood. that will be learning, learning, learning as fast as they can.

It seems to me Brown has been given the green light to play her kind of game on offense and it has been very productive.  As much as a great point guard would help Kate, Leigha is able to get her own shots when she wants.  I think having a consistent outside shot like Taylor will help open the middle for Leigha to take the ball to the hoop even more.  Her 3 point shooting continues to improve as well.  She showed quite a bit of development throughout the past season. She knows she is our go to person.  I don't know why she would leave.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

It seems to me Brown has been given the green light to play her kind of game on offense and it has been very productive.  As much as a great point guard would help Kate, Leigha is able to get her own shots when she wants.  I think having a consistent outside shot like Taylor will help open the middle for Leigha to take the ball to the hoop even more.  Her 3 point shooting continues to improve as well.  She showed quite a bit of development throughout the past season. She knows she is our go to person.  I don't know why she would leave.

Hey another person of reason.

18 hours ago, HUD said:

understand what you are saying, but, man.......huskers really need to find a "good" pg, imo. maybe.......maybe helms will be the one, idk. more questions than answers there.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

understand what you are saying, but, man.......huskers really need to find a "good" pg, imo. maybe.......maybe helms will be there, idk. more questions than answers there.

I totally agree that it's our highest priority which would help every body on the team be more successful. Just stating that Leigha is one of the few on the team that can create and get to the basket on her own to score or get foul shots.  Sam is coming along in that area as well but not totally there yet in my observation.  Leigha has that game to game consistency but Sam not quite.  

Depth at the post position is going to be thin so it may mean Cain and Bourne  will have to play more minutes.  That will, in my view, make it necessary for improved player conditioning.  

But with the ongoing health situation in this country, it’s probably all moot.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:19 AM, Tom Jones said:

It might be closer than you think, Eliely tips it hard, obviously, but even she didn’t have the season she wanted.

The team lost its consistent mental edge - or perhaps never really had one - this season. Some of that is on the departed players. 

One of the challenges at Nebraska is that the student athletes are treated so well, cared for so much, that creating urgency can be tough. I think it’s been an issue in football that Frost has to untangle and reset. 

Sam I think they had a mental edge against Iowa for game one of the conference but it never really had a solid footing so when they gave away the game at MSU in the second half, and granted some calls made or missed by the folks in stripes did not help it began to crumble and continued right along. I think a better finish in the first half of conference would had set them up for the second and maybe the NCAA bid they wanted.