2020-2021 Husker BB Team

Cazzie22

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does as far as granting additional eligibility to winter sports (I think it's a given that it will happen for spring sports, especially track and field because the outdoor season had not officially begun yet in most conferences).  There is a lot being kicked around and nothing is official yet, but it sounds like they may be leaning toward giving current seniors another year as long as it is at the same institution.  It would be easier for the NCAA to make this requirement because it will be easier to keep track of which schools get additional scholarships since many HS seniors have already signed LOI.  It sounds like they would allow a current senior to transfer but unless the school they transfer to has extra scholarship money, they may have to pay their own way.

My daughter was hoping to make it to NCAAs her final season, but the pandemic threw her and a lot of other kids a major curve ball by prompting the cancellation of the entire season.  She has been interviewing for jobs (companies have switched to video interviews rather than fly her around), and she is also planning a wedding for next year.  It is highly unlikely she will stay in school another year especially since she is graduating with her masters degree and there is no PhD business program for her to enroll in at USD.  I imagine many many other kids are in very similar situations.  I feel bad for HS juniors who were looking forward to putting in a good season for recruiting purposes this fall.  I am wondering if the NCAA is going to have to allow additional scholarships for a while, because they basically gave every spring college athlete nationwide a redshirt year.  Some won't use the additional year, but many will.

I said realistically projected as next years starters.   We might lose one of them but I just said “I doubt it”.  That might be different than this years starters. I am just speculating.  - yes I agree kids leave for a variety of reasons even if they start — ie homesick is frequent cause  for women’s bball 

Edited by kansashusker

Coach has probably sat down one on one with the players already outlining her vision going forward for the team and how that particular player will fit in to it.  They then must decide whether they want to be part of that or not.  A lot of factors can enter in.  

I kind of thought that was possible after losing her starting position to Veerbeek and somewhat passed in playing time by Bourne.

Coach kind of alluded to the possibility of some turnover the other day.  We have 4 open scholarships to fill for this fall if we want.

Veerbeek is leaving too. Its on facebook.  Heading back to her hometown NAIA school.  -- Lets be careful judging her or Mershon.  People who haven't played or been the parents of a BCS kid don't really appreciate the level of commitment, and both mental and phsycial toughness it takes.  You don't get your weekends off and its basically an 11 month a year commitment.  May is really the only down time.  You get a max of 3 1/2 days at xmas and usually no thanksgiving.   its not for everybody.   Obviously flip side is an amazing journey for those who want the journey and buy in.  Time to move on and find kids that want to be Huskers.  GBR

Edited by kansashusker

Need to find some more size somewhere as Bourne and Cain can’t do it all. Hopefully a couple freshmen can come in quickly. 
There's a guy can't remember his handle roll on Twitter he handles a lot of the transfer stuff and women's basketballthere's a lot of transfers that are that would fit nicely with us I see that Belle from Ohio State that put her name in the transfer portal today

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

There's a guy can't remember his handle roll on Twitter he handles a lot of the transfer stuff and women's basketballthere's a lot of transfers that are that would fit nicely with us I see that Belle from Ohio State that put her name in the transfer portal today

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Is this the guy you are talking about?

Edited by Red Don

I liked Mershon’s attitude and toughness.  She would go after rebounds.  Best wishes to both young ladies.  

The staff needs to step step up and bring some players in that can help immediately.  The Stewart girl is going to need to contribute immediately.