2020-2021 Husker BB Team

Cazzie22

Here is my unsolicited analysis of next year’s team if I ruled the world.

Starters:   Sam Haiby-  She has got to improve her overall floor game, passing & 3 pt shooting

Leah Brown- keep up the offensive skills but learn to rebound and defend

Taylor Kissinger-  work on getting her own shot, can help on defensive boards

Izzy Bourne- our most skilled post.  IMO our best front court player.

Kate Cain- please develop a move towards the basket

off the bench

Verbeek and Mershon can spell the post players

McKenzie and Trinity PG and wings

I don’t think this lineup will strike fear into the B1G.   I don’t know enough about the incoming players to evaluate or predict their impact.   If Porter is as good as Izzy, then that’s a big plus.

Emphasis in off season.

1.  Improve conditioning

2.  Rebounding at both ends

3.  Develop some post moves for all but Izzy.

4.  Reduction of turnovers

5.  Find a way to defend to overcome our lack of quickness

6.  Open up spacing on offense to allow Leah, Sam and Izzy to drive and get to free throw line

And if I were your assistant ruler of the world ---- find a PG in the transfer portal to tide us over till Allison Weidner gets here.  I saw her this afternoon.  Some recent media items have raved about her court vision and passing skills.  The rave looks not to have been overstated.  I haven't seen passing like that at The Bob or at PBA since Lindsay Moore and Rachel Theriot moved on. Not by a player wearing white anyway.  

1 hour ago, Tom Jones said:

And if I were your assistant ruler of the world ---- find a PG in the transfer portal to tide us over till Allison Weidner gets here.  I saw her this afternoon.  Some recent media items have raved about her court vision and passing skills.  The rave looks not to have been overstated.  I haven't seen passing like that at The Bob or at PBA since Lindsay Moore and Rachel Theriot moved on. Not by a player wearing white anyway.  

actually the best passer in the state is Jillian Aschoff of Pius.  Too small to play D 1 but she is something else 

44 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I always thought Grace Barry from Lincoln East was a pretty good PG.  But she’s at Concordia in Seward working toward a second national title in her senior season.

Too bad Hastings and Concordia are on the same side of the bracket.

2 hours ago, huskerchode said:

I always thought Grace Barry from Lincoln East was a pretty good PG.  But she’s at Concordia in Seward working toward a second national title in her senior season.

Really good player, just too small to play at the higher levels.  Started out at UNK

On 3/6/2020 at 9:14 PM, HB said:

actually the best passer in the state is Jillian Aschoff of Pius.  Too small to play D 1 but she is something else 

Watched her against Wynot.  I question whether or not she can play against top level competition.  She does have some skills.  I am always impressed by how fundamentally sound and smart the Wynot girls are in the games I have watched.  That Coach is doing something right.

None have mentioned the aussie Porter. She has Australian national and international experience. If she's even on the level of Issie then would leave a space on the roster possibly near the top of the point position.  So she may factor in. 

Way to much water to go under the bridge this summer. May be some changes we're yet to know about. 

5 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Watched her against Wynot.  I question whether or not she can play against top level competition.  She does have some skills.  I am always impressed by how fundamentally sound and smart the Wynot girls are in the games I have watched.  That Coach is doing something right.

Humphrey St. Francis is pretty well a one player team and Wynot after losing to them by 16 earlier in the year really dedicate 2 to 3 players to help on Weidner.  Through all of that especially in the 2nd half she was still able to get the ball to wide open team mates under the basket.  The problem was they couldn't hit lay ups or free throws.  I think she will prove to be a good addition.  One who we haven't mentioned much is our walk-on Whitney Brown from Grand Island NW.  I watched her in their triple overtime loss to Crete.  She is a real gamer but somewhat vertically challenged at 5' 7''.  She can shoot and is the team leader.  She's tough as nails and reminds me a lot of Woody.  

14 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

They will have to be or we will fall further behind Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan.  I have been a fan of Bourne all year.  

i think as long as Frese and 'Guff are at these schools, it is really going to be tough. not saying an upset is possible every now and then, but, maryland and osu are probably going to be the cream at the top----especially maryland. but, expectations of being in the running for somewhere in that top 6 on a fairly consistent basis should not be out of the question.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Back in November, Rutgers, Minnesota, Purdue, and Iowa also had recruiting classes ranked in the top 20.  Not sure if this has changed since, but expect they are still in, or near the top twenty for the 2020 class.  I'm having a little trouble remaining optimistic.  Any chance we will add a player or two to this class yet?  Anyone privy to some potential good news?

Back in November, Rutgers, Minnesota, Purdue, and Iowa also had recruiting classes ranked in the top 20.  Not sure if this has changed since, but expect they are still in, or near the top twenty for the 2020 class.  I'm having a little trouble remaining optimistic.  Any chance we will add a player or two to this class yet?  Anyone privy to some potential good news?
KansasHusker?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

They will have to be or we will fall further behind Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan.  I have been a fan of Bourne all year.  

Yes, have said that here, since the first time I saw her play at NU. Just easy to see she had skills and the mentality. Just needed to get adjusted to American and B1G play.

With the right coaching she'll be real good in coming years...let her play.  Started to say she should start next year...but you never know....

2 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Yes, have said that here, since the first time I saw her play at NU. Just easy to see she had skills and the mentality. Just needed to get adjusted to American and B1G play.

With the right coaching she'll be real good in coming years...let her play.  Started to say she should start next year...but you never know....

I think Bourne has to start, I like Mershon’s effort and Verbeek has the outside shot, at times, but they cannot do things that Bourne can.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:24 PM, Cazzie22 said:

Stewart's going to be pretty good, too. No fooling. Better than her sister because she can shoot. Had a big senior year on a loaded team, and her teammate is one of top guards for 2022. 

33 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Stewart's going to be pretty good, too. No fooling. Better than her sister because she can shoot. Had a big senior year on a loaded team, and her teammate is one of top guards for 2022. 

Always appreciate your input, Sam.  And a team always needs shooters(no kidding).

23 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

That said, WBB is a guard game. (So is MBB anymore) 

So then how are we going to fare with the guards in the system or coming on board?   

I mean, it's pretty urgent, right?    Transfer market?   Hope we recruit better at the guard position for the '21 class?   Can we wait that long?  

36 minutes ago, HB said:

So then how are we going to fare with the guards in the system or coming on board?   

I mean, it's pretty urgent, right?    Transfer market?   Hope we recruit better at the guard position for the '21 class?   Can we wait that long?  

If this staff had a track record for developing players, I'd be a little more optimistic.  "Pretty urgent" seems accurate.