uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 30 - at Michigan

20 minutes ago, HB said:

You must not have been watching Minnesota's games.   They aren't even close to packing it in.   They give great effort, they just struggle to close out games.   Oturo is simply an outstanding player.  

That game is a win-win for us.

If we win, we win.

If we lose, it's more likely that Richard Pitino will remain the coach.

27 minutes ago, HB said:

You must not have been watching Minnesota's games.   They aren't even close to packing it in.   They give great effort, they just struggle to close out games.   Oturo is simply an outstanding player.  

I listen to most of their games on the radio, don’t let the close scores fool you. They’ve blown HUGE leads vs Iowa, Maryland etc. Not saying it’s a gimme by any means, but I like our chances.

2 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I listen to most of their games on the radio, don’t let the close scores fool you. They’ve blown HUGE leads vs Iowa, Maryland etc. Not saying it’s a gimme by any means, but I like our chances.

I have no problem with liking our chances, but watching the games you can tell they haven't packed it in.  I'm not letting close scores fool me because I saw the effort first hand.  They didn't get those leads by quitting.  

20 minutes ago, khoock said:

He has the potential to get drafted. Anyone who watches can see it. Whether or not he becomes one is solely on him. If he doesn't, it wont be from lack of opportunity or because of physical ability.

No.   I watch and absolutely can't see it at all.  What is obvious is he's a small guy who can't finish at the rim and is a streaky shooter at best who can't make free throws.   That guy doesn't get drafted.    He would have to dramatically improve his shot to sniff being drafted.   Shooting is part of "physical ability".   You could see it the first game he played here. 

24 minutes ago, HB said:

No.   I watch and absolutely can't see it at all.  What is obvious is he's a small guy who can't finish at the rim and is a streaky shooter at best who can't make free throws.   That guy doesn't get drafted.    He would have to dramatically improve his shot to sniff being drafted.   Shooting is part of "physical ability".   You could see it the first game he played here. 

Cant see it at all? His court vision, passing ability, and quickness are pretty damn close to being NBA caliber. 

Yes, he is lacking size and shooting. But if he had both of those hes a lottery pick and he'd be completing his sophomore campaign in the NBA not in college lol.

If he chooses to put in the work he has the skill set, ability, and resources to become that type of player.

Edited by khoock

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Cant see it at all? His court vision, passing ability, and quickness are pretty damn close to being NBA caliber. 

Yes, he is lacking size and shooting. But if he had both of those hes a lottery pick and he'd be completing his sophomore campaign in the NBA not in college lol.

If he chooses to put in the work he has the skill set, ability, and resources to become that type of player.

I am in the group that thinks he has no chance to be drafted. And this discussion has me intrigued. So I went and looked at draft projections on a couple of different sites. A kid from Marquette is consistantly rated as the last pg taken this year. Around 45 to 55 depending on the site. He averages 27.7ppg and shoots 40+% from 3. No Way I think Cam Mack could hit those #'s. And while his passing and vision is nice even if he did improve his other stats will he even have a chance to showcase it next year?  A lot of my opinion is form from this very board. What is he going to be next year, the 3rd or 4th scoring option? That's seems to be eluded to in other discussions here. This kid does not strike me as someone that will do well in a diminished scoring role. And I've seen nothing this year that shows me he has a team first mentality.

2 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I am in the group that thinks he has no chance to be drafted. And this discussion has me intrigued. So I went and looked at draft projections on a couple of different sites. A kid from Marquette is consistantly rated as the last pg taken this year. Around 45 to 55 depending on the site. He averages 27.7ppg and shoots 40+% from 3. No Way I think Cam Mack could hit those #'s. And while his passing and vision is nice even if he did improve his other stats will he even have a chance to showcase it next year?  A lot of my opinion is form from this very board. What is he going to be next year, the 3rd or 4th scoring option? That's seems to be eluded to in other discussions here. This kid does not strike me as someone that will do well in a diminished scoring role. And I've seen nothing this year that shows me he has a team first mentality.

Markus Howard? He is a tried and proven product. The thing about the NBA is they love drafting on potential and Mack has that. He has the tools you cant teach. Lightning fast and good decision maker who can fire a laser point pass to anyone at any given time. Plus he is a great rebounder for his position and size. A team will take a chance on him thinking they can teach him to shoot and make him stronger/bigger. Once again, this is under the pretenses he comes back next year and puts in the necessary work under HCFH. And i completely understand why ppl think that is a big IF.

Side note, the reason i love this board and continue to frequent it is bc there are varying and opinions and we can discuss them respectfully and civilly.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

That was our worst offensive efficiency in conference and third worst overall (Georgia Tech/UC Riverside debacle)

Feels like the answer to a rhetorical question about whether this team plays better without Mack is easily no.

This team better nut it up to play at the Barn against Minny and then in Indy. This season could still have a shining moment, even if ever so fleeting. Last year had a few shining moments in the midst of a bunch of losses, with Copeland being injured & L's on the court. I hope that Freddy & Co. can seize whatever little momentum is available, in the final few games. Hope's all we have, at the moment.

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

This team better nut it up to play at the Barn against Minny and then in Indy. This season could still have a shining moment, even if ever so fleeting. Last year had a few shining moments in the midst of a bunch of losses, with Copeland being injured & L's on the court. I hope that Freddy & Co. can seize whatever little momentum is available, in the final few games. Hope's all we have, at the moment.

I would rather they just go start recruiting immediately following a loss next Wednesday. 

34 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Lol I believe you're referencing arguably the best offensive threat in college basketball. No, Cam Mack is not Markus Howard. 

14 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Lol I believe you're referencing arguably the best offensive threat in college basketball. No, Cam Mack is not Markus Howard. 

I believe that's what he was saying.  Howard is projected around 50th pick and Mack is not in his league.

Edited by NUtball

47 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

He may be. He is also the lowest rated pg (roughly) in the draft projections from the 1st six I looked at on google. So if that is what it takes to get to the lowest rated I think it confirms my thinking that Cam Mack has no chance to be drafted.

2 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

He may be. He is also the lowest rated pg (roughly) in the draft projections from the 1st six I looked at on google. So if that is what it takes to get to the lowest rated I think it confirms my thinking that Cam Mack has no chance to be drafted.

I think NBA scouts are more concerned about Markus Howard's size than anything. He's only 5' 11". 

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

They haven't finished these games, but they played hard to get those leads.

On senior day, the Goofers will pound our Cornhuskers.  Lots of frustration will be taken out on Fred's boys.  As in most of the last 15 losses, NU will keep in close at the half, then get blown out in the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd half.  They'll put together a little streak to get the game back to 10-15 points, then get mauled again and lose by 20 pts.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Overall, they've kept fighting during the streak but are just completely outmanned.  However, I am concerned about the "halftime adjustments".  Why do they get run out of the gym most of the time in those 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd half?  Talk about annoying....