Brandon Ubel press conference

Huskerpapa

1. We are all freshman
  2. We work on player development
  3. We have to have a few balls bounce our way
  4. The past month, it is unbelievable how he (Sergej) has improved
  5. ...plus other good tidbits

http://rivals.yahoo....ference-1108816

I like Ubel. Kid worked his butt off last year. He was constantly forced to play out of position and still managed to put up decent numbers.

I really like Ubel, but he's not a guy you can count on to be your focal point. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year (and I really hope so). He's just a complementary player. Now that's not a knock him. But just think how much better his perception would be if he had a good post player to work with or wasn't being asked to do too much. He's a good passer, gets rebounds. Good defender. And can knock down a mid ranged jump. Heck he can hit an occasional 3. But he was asked to do way too much last year and he struggled at times.

Just my opinion.

I don't think he's ever been instructed to score. Maybe at some point during the last couple of years during the season when injuries wore down the team but he has been quoted as saying he had been instructed to be a complimentary player.

I'm not sure his stroke has been the same since he put on that muscle...I think that's the reason his 3pt percentage has been steadily decreasing to the point I was terrified every time he caught the ball behind the arc last year. We know he can play solid defense and has a nose for rebounds, especially of the offensive variety.

This year he'll be asked to be a major contributor on offense. We'll find out if he's up to the challenge.

The following are some scoring stats for Brandon Ubel from Huskers.com:

1. Three point percentages: .524 (11 of 21) as a freshman; .250 (7 of 28) as a sophomore; and .250 (5 of 20) as a junior.

2. Overall percentages: .411 (46 of 112) as a freshman; .516 (63 of 122) as a sophomore; and .517 (74 of 143) as a junior.

3. Free throw percentages: .796 (39 of 49) as a freshman; .792 (61 of 77) as a sophomore, and .825 (47 of 57) as a junior.

Interestingly, (i) during his freshman year, Brandon shot a higher percentage from three than from shorter range, (ii) Brandon's free throw percentage has always been around the .800 mark, (iii) his exceptional three point percentage as a freshman dipped to a consistent .250 for the two subsequent years, and (iv) his overall percentages for the last two years are a full percentage point higher than his first year.

Really???

Freshman Year = 4.4 ppg & 2.0 rpg

Sophomore Year = 6.1 ppg & 3.7 rpg

Junior Year = 6.7 ppg & 5.3 rpg

How can you say his sophmore year he did when he actually had better numbers last year?

Actually it might have been his freshman year...

Either way, his percentages dropped way off after that first year, partly because he wasn't being asked to do what really his skill set dictated he should probably be doing and I think it took away from his total game, so his totals might have been higher, but I'm not sure that quality of play was, at least not consistently. Hopefully he'll be put in situations that better utilize his skills, because I do think he can be a pretty good player.

I think Brandon's once again going to be tasked with so much of the dirty work needed to be competitive that I don't think well see a breakout offensive year from him. But if this turns out to be true, I hope every fan gives him the respect he deserves for always putting the team and the program first. I am truly glad he plays for Nebraska.