Cam Mack suspended again...

bkamler

46 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't necessarily like the 'difficulty' that comes along with Mack but I don't really understand where people are cutting bait with him now given that this is no new development. 

Typically the most visible adjustment from Juco to D-1 is play on the court.  For Mack, it appears to be off the court. FWIW it's not in the classroom. The guy who everyone thinks is going to drop out of school to go pro made the honor roll. It's not so much about effort with Mack as it's just him wanting to do what he wants to do it seems.   

At some point the amount of talent you have is not enough for people to put up with certain levels of crap and he has breached those levels multiple times this year. I very much don't think he's broken the dam though.  He absolutely needs to declare for the NBA and see if any teams will work him out so that maybe he appreciates the sort of professionalism that is expected of him is important for his future and not some sort of childish game to play.

I have grown tired of the repeated issues.  As I said in the game thread, if Cam Mack leaves, I will no longer look at it as a huge loss.  You can't count on him from game to game to be available.  He clearly struggles to make consistently good choices; otherwise, he wouldn't have been suspended several times this season.  Of course, he wouldn't be the first kid his age to have maturity issues.  It's just, when is enough finally enough for the betterment of the entire team?  Leaving the scene of an accident is, at best, a terrible lapse in judgement and I don't buy the story that he didn't know he hit the woman.   There is clearly a pattern of behavior with Cam and if he moves on or Fred moves on from him, so be it.  Give me a kid who is less talented but you can count on to be available every single game.  Having said that, if he is still part of the team next year, all we can do is support him and hope for the best.  

I do really like your point on declaring for the NBA and having him go through the draft process.  The feedback he gets will be brutally honest, not just from an ability perspective (i.e. NBA guards need to be able to shoot much better than he does) but he will certainly be hammered on all of the off court issues.  If that doesn't resonate with him, nothing will.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't necessarily like the 'difficulty' that comes along with Mack but I don't really understand where people are cutting bait with him now given that this is no new development. 

Typically the most visible adjustment from Juco to D-1 is play on the court.  For Mack, it appears to be off the court. FWIW it's not in the classroom. The guy who everyone thinks is going to drop out of school to go pro made the honor roll. It's not so much about effort with Mack as it's just him wanting to do what he wants to do it seems.   

At some point the amount of talent you have is not enough for people to put up with certain levels of crap and he has breached those levels multiple times this year. I very much don't think he's broken the dam though.  He absolutely needs to declare for the NBA and see if any teams will work him out so that maybe he appreciates the sort of professionalism that is expected of him is important for his future and not some sort of childish game to play.

he's mo washington man. it's not good for the team. 

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Excellent post Matt!

59 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

From my experience, whenever you have a player that seems to be the best player on a really bad team, and that player causes you a lot of problems - the answer isn't to go, "but think about what would happen if we didn't have him!?!?" It's to cut him loose. 

Kind of like the Ralph Kiner and Branch Rickey baseball conversation from years past: "We finished in last with you, we can finish in last without you"

Unless there is some god awful thing Cam did, a fender bender and being late to some team functions isn't enough for me not to want him here next year.  

There is absolutely no risk with having him return to a roster full of talent and a 6'8" PG who would be more than happy to run the show.

I haven't seen any wavering whatsoever with Fred and his team rules.  If he decides Cam's behavior is too egregious to be corrected, I trust him, but from the outside looking in, I just see a rascal that needs to get his act together, not some criminal or deviant.  He's not the first goofball to attend college.  

5 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Unless there is some god awful thing Cam did, a fender bender and being late to some team functions isn't enough for me not to want him here next year.  

There is absolutely no risk with having him return to a roster full of talent and a 6'8" PG who would be more than happy to run the show.

I haven't seen any wavering whatsoever with Fred and his team rules.  If he decides Cam's behavior is too egregious to be corrected, I trust him, but from the outside looking in, I just see a rascal that needs to get his act together, not some criminal or deviant.  He's not the first goofball to attend college.  

Makes sense to let it play out. Hoiberg & Co. know what's going on in regard to its program building. I'll trust them first & foremost. Cam does need to get with the program, sooner than later.

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

Fwiw, I can’t express to you enough how frustrating it is to coach or play on a team with a starter/major minutes guy who is consistently late and not following team rules. Especially if there’s dudes who are and want that spot but the other person is more talented. Chemistry disaster.