Bill Moos quote

Well, for what it's worth, Bill is wrong. Basketball is not two years away. For next year to be ugly and not competitive, something seriously went wrong. We will have the pieces together next year to form a full, competitive team. I am not guaranteeing an NCAA tourney bid - but next year will not be a wasted year. They will have the pieces. And a lot of these guys have been in the program at least, and many have game experience. 

8 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Well, for what it's worth, Bill is wrong. Basketball is not two years away. For next year to be ugly and not competitive, something seriously went wrong. We will have the pieces together next year to form a full, competitive team. I am not guaranteeing an NCAA tourney bid - but next year will not be a wasted year. They will have the pieces. And a lot of these guys have been in the program at least, and many have game experience. 

The sense that Bill Moos isn't a "basketball guy" seems pertinent.

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

The sell out streak is not real. Corporate sponsors buy unsold tickets. Lots of them. Everybody in the media knows this is true, but they can't say so publicly for fear of hurting the feelings of the fan base. The sell out streak is the 3rd rail of this program. It feeds into the collective ego of the fan base. Take that away and you take away the superiority complex of the fans. We are the greatest fans because we keep coming to games and selling out Memorial Stadium blah blah blah. It needs to go away officially to humble a fan base that desperately needs to be humbled.

Thank you for bringing this up.  The sell-out streak is manufactured and quite frankly, somewhat of a joke.

I remember sitting in a local bar with my brother 5-10 minutes before game time (1990 Baylor game) and there was an announcement on the radio that somewhere in the low thousands # of tickets were unsold.  Lo and behold, a local bank swooped in to buy the tickets and save the streak. 🤫

1 minute ago, NUtball said:

Thank you for bringing this up.  The sell-out streak is manufactured and quite frankly, somewhat of a joke.

I remember sitting in a local bar with my brother 5-10 minutes before game time (1990 Baylor game) and there was an announcement on the radio that somewhere in the low thousands # of tickets were unsold.  Lo and behold, a local bank swooped in to buy the tickets and save the streak. 🤫

That was my Freshman yr at UNL. Was a really good game. Defensive battle. Hot as hell.

5 hours ago, NUtball said:

Well... attendance that day was only 300 short of the season high that year (against the loss and a tie and a fifth down national champion), so maybe you're misremembering.  But every week there was an allotment from the opposing team that would come back and have to be sold late, sometimes they'd be bought up legitimately, sometimes they'd be bought by businesses and distributed by them.

That and the 2013 Wyoming game were the most miserable night games ever.  Hotter than hell.  Kenny Walker lost 13 pounds during the game.  I got stranded downtown afterwards, and with it being the pre cell-phone era and myself still being underage by a week I had to borrow an ID so I could get into the Sidetrack Tavern and find my friends.  Somebody dumped a beer on my head and it was refreshing, since it was about 110° in there.  Yes, I remember that day.

Also, Baylor coach Grant Teaff, who has the Fellowship of Christian Athletes coach of the year award, was absolutely hated by Tom Osborne.  Why?  Because he was a massive cheat.  Some things never change.

17 hours ago, nustudent said:

Also think moos is trying to intentionally walk back expectations based upon what happened with all the hype leading into last year. Both moos and frost said some things that caused the hype to build before last year began I think he’s just being cautious

Agree about the over hype of last season however recall Moos expectation was 6-6.

Bringing this back to basketball. Fred basically put together a rec league team. The fact that we won any games in the BIG is amazing. Ultimately we were done in by our lack of size, depth and overall talent. I'm still not sure how to explain our free throw shooting woes. He believed that a complete overhaul was needed. The jury is still out on whether this was a good move our not. It can be argued that had Fred not completely overhauled the roster we would not be one of the 2 worst teams in the conference this year. No one is going to ask Fred if he sacrificed this season in order to hasten the turnaround of the program. We all acknowledge that with a wink and nod. Personally I'm on the fence. The timing of all this couldn't be worse. The best year the BIG has had in basketball since we joined the conference combined with a complete overhaul of our basketball program and well this is what you get. Ultimately, I trust Fred. My expectation for next season is an NIT bid. We can look more deeply into that as we get closer to the 20-21 season Food for thought is that we will have about 10 players on our roster who have played at least 1 season of basketball at the D1 level. 

I don’t believe we would have been competitive with last seasons roster had they all returned.  I am not sure of the program’s future.  I would hope that in two years we would be at least upper division.  I don’t see that next year, but I do see improvement, we have to move up, don’t we?

This thread is depressing.

The athletic department is raking in the money.  If we are really two years away in both seats eliminate the seat donation requirement for one year.  We literally can't figure out what to spend all the revenue on.  Maybe rewarding the fans who have been way way too loyal is overdue.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Agree about the over hype of last season however recall Moos expectation was 6-6.

Bringing this back to basketball. Fred basically put together a rec league team. The fact that we won any games in the BIG is amazing. Ultimately we were done in by our lack of size, depth and overall talent. I'm still not sure how to explain our free throw shooting woes. He believed that a complete overhaul was needed. The jury is still out on whether this was a good move our not. It can be argued that had Fred not completely overhauled the roster we would not be one of the 2 worst teams in the conference this year. No one is going to ask Fred if he sacrificed this season in order to hasten the turnaround of the program. We all acknowledge that with a wink and nod. Personally I'm on the fence. The timing of all this couldn't be worse. The best year the BIG has had in basketball since we joined the conference combined with a complete overhaul of our basketball program and well this is what you get. Ultimately, I trust Fred. My expectation for next season is an NIT bid. We can look more deeply into that as we get closer to the 20-21 season Food for thought is that we will have about 10 players on our roster who have played at least 1 season of basketball at the D1 level. 

He did.   He's also said somethings as well (OSU and Michigan running scared....) to fuel that stuff.   

In regards to basketball....I agree.   I think things change and change very quickly.   I won't guarantee/expect an NCAA bid next year....but I think were closer to 20 wins next year than we are to 10 wins.

25 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Here's some food for thought. A look at the first year head coaches in Power 5 conferences as of today:

mbb_2020_first_year_coach_stats_2020-03-

We had the second most Q1 games.

And by far the worst record in Q4 games.  🤮

I don't think it takes 3 years to put a competitive basketball team on the court.

5 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I don’t believe we would have been competitive with last seasons roster had they all returned.  I am not sure of the program’s future.  I would hope that in two years we would be at least upper division.  I don’t see that next year, but I do see improvement, we have to move up, don’t we?

Our roster if everyone returns and recruits stay committed :

C - Heimann Soph.

PF - Roby Sr.

SF - Green Jr.

SG - Allen Jr.

PG Burke Jr.

Bench

Harris Soph.

Nana Jr.

Adams - Woods Fr.

Thoir Jr.

Trueblood Sr.

Costello Soph.

I don't think Roby, Allen, and Nana were staying.  If they do stay, we would be more competitive.  We have an NBA player (granted he's played 10 minutes in 3 games this year).  We have a shooter in Allen.  We have slashers in Harris and Burke.  We still wouldn't have enough down low to handle teams.  I might have left a recruit out as that means we have 9 scholarships.

38 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Our roster if everyone returns and recruits stay committed :

C - Heimann Soph.

PF - Roby Sr.

SF - Green Jr.

SG - Allen Jr.

PG Burke Jr.

Bench

Harris Soph.

Nana Jr.

Adams - Woods Fr.

Thoir Jr.

Trueblood Sr.

Costello Soph.

I don't think Roby, Allen, and Nana were staying.  If they do stay, we would be more competitive.  We have an NBA player (granted he's played 10 minutes in 3 games this year).  We have a shooter in Allen.  We have slashers in Harris and Burke.  We still wouldn't have enough down low to handle teams.  I might have left a recruit out as that means we have 9 scholarships.

You left of Karrington Davis and Akol Arop