Bill Moos quote

25 minutes ago, MJW82 said:

Nebraska related internet is going be real unpleasant if it takes football two more years. Basketball if we have an old roster in two years I’ll feel real good about things 

As regarding football: look at the schedule the next two years; look at the roster with 14 scholarship seniors, 18 scholarship juniors, and 10 scholarship sophomores; and draw your own conclusions.  The coaching staff has not proven to be miracle workers yet, so no one should be expecting any miracles.

In hoops if we're not doing anything by year 4, there's real problems.  A lack of success by then would end any recruiting momentum, attendance would probably drop, the Big Ten will still need a couple whipping boys at the bottom so they can get 9 in the tournament so they'll do their best to keep us there, etc.

1 hour ago, MJW82 said:

Nebraska related internet is going be real unpleasant if it takes football two more years. Basketball if we have an old roster in two years I’ll feel real good about things 

The football season is going to be awful next year. That schedule is brutal. 

The AD needs to start spinning the waiting game as soon as possible. 

13 hours ago, atskooc said:

The football season is going to be awful next year. That schedule is brutal. 

The AD needs to start spinning the waiting game as soon as possible. 

I wouldn’t call it spinning.   It’s just reality.   Way too many are in denial about how bad it was after 20 years of Perlman trying to run the athletic department, and several years of his minion Eichorst and his ridiculous choice of a head football coach.   Also in denial of how hard it would be to get back to respectability.    

Edited by HB

54 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Didn’t UCF go undefeated in Frost’s 2nd year...? Wasn’t that what the 5 million dollars a year was for? On a related note: the 2-7 Baseball team’s home opener is this Friday!!!

Yeah, undefeated with a fantastic roster that Frost was fortunate enough to inherit.  George O'Leary built a solid program at UCF, winning 31 games from 2012-2014.  Everyone likes to point out the 0-12 season in 2015, but the reality is that the upperclassmen that Frost relied on in 2017 were at UCF due to O'Leary's success in '12-'14.

Hoiberg on the other hand is the real deal.  He has proven that he can assemble a roster and win big with it.

3 minutes ago, HB said:

I wouldn’t call it spinning.   It’s just reality.   Way too many are in denial about how bad it was after 20 years of Perlman trying to run the athletic department, and several years of his minion Eichorst and his ridiculous choice of a head football.   Also in denial of his hard it would be to get back to respectability.    

“Spinning” wasn’t the best choice of words. I was just saying it’s best for the AD to do what it can to curb fan expectations for the upcoming season, which Moos is doing here. It’s going to be rough. 

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Yeah, undefeated with a fantastic roster that Frost was fortunate enough to inherit.  George O'Leary built a solid program at UCF, winning 31 games from 2012-2014.  Everyone likes to point out the 0-12 season in 2015, but the reality is that the upperclassmen that Frost relied on in 2017 were at UCF due to O'Leary's success in '12-'14.

Hoiberg on the other hand is the real deal.  He has proven that he can assemble a roster and win big with it.

I’m a BIG fan of all 3 of our new hires. I just grow weary of the endless “sunshine pumping” when it comes to the Football program & the utter derision the Basketball program is always treated with...

11 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Bill Moos: "It might be two years for football and men’s basketball. Just telling it as it is. But hang on, because the wait is going to be worth it.”

Goodbye football tickets.  My dad said if the team doesn’t produce this year he’s giving up the tickets. He is tired of the large financial donations just to get the right to get tix for a team that can’t get it done.  Basketball donations aren’t remotely close so we are still good on them. 

I think basketball will be vastly improved next year. They will be NIT for sure with a chance to go dancing.

I consider myself a realist but if we keep Cam Mack, and Dalano Banton and Teddy Allen are close to as talented as advertised we will be money. Thats not even considering the growth of returning players or what Stevenson, Walker, and/or Mayen will provide.

Now obviously thats a lot of "ifs" and there will be some let downs from individual players, but i like how next season is beginning to look.

11 hours ago, HB said:

I wouldn’t call it spinning.   It’s just reality.   Way too many are in denial about how bad it was after 20 years of Perlman trying to run the athletic department, and several years of his minion Eichorst and his ridiculous choice of a head football.   Also in denial of how hard it would be to get back to respectability.    

I agree HB!

Our fan base needs a reality check as to where our basketball and football programs are and where. When Moos was hired our football program was in the bottom 4 of the conference. Our fan base fails to grasp how bad things were. Everything for administration, nutrition, strength and condition, culture, talent evaluation etc. We were bottom feeders. That cannot be flipped in 2 or 3yrs. Nobody can flip that in 2 - 3 yrs. This is a long term building project that is going to require years of talent infusion and depth and that's if everything goes as planned. I get a kick out of people who say they are going to give up their tickets. Go for it. Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out the door and don't come back. A culling of our our fan base is long overdue. 

13 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I agree HB!

Our fan base needs a reality check as to where our basketball and football programs are and where. When Moos was hired our football program was in the bottom 4 of the conference. Our fan base fails to grasp how bad things were. Everything for administration, nutrition, strength and condition, culture, talent evaluation etc. We were bottom feeders. That cannot be flipped in 2 or 3yrs. Nobody can flip that in 2 - 3 yrs. This is a long term building project that is going to require years of talent infusion and depth and that's if everything goes as planned. I get a kick out of people who say they are going to give up their tickets. Go for it. Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out the door and don't come back. A culling of our our fan base is long overdue. 

Be careful what you wish for. Losing the sellout streak in football would be huge. The inertia of ticket renewals is worth a lot of money, and much of that would end if the streak ends. People have held onto tickets for years, thinking they don't want to get shut out if the team rebounds later. It's not good having the fan base saying "show me something first." Leave that to other programs.

As for basketball, the shiny new arena and FH are selling tickets now, but another crappy year is going to cut into season ticket sales. A lot of basketball tickets also have been sold on the idea that "I don't want to get shut out when the team becomes good," a carryover from football. Moos might be pushing his look in lowering expectations.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Be careful what you wish for. Losing the sellout streak in football would be huge. The inertia of ticket renewals is worth a lot of money, and much of that would end if the streak ends. People have held onto tickets for years, thinking they don't want to get shut out if the team rebounds later. It's not good having the fan base saying "show me something first." Leave that to other programs.

As for basketball, the shiny new arena and FH are selling tickets now, but another crappy year is going to cut into season ticket sales. A lot of basketball tickets also have been sold on the idea that "I don't want to get shut out when the team becomes good," a carryover from football. Moos might be pushing his look in lowering expectations.

The sell out streak is not real. Corporate sponsors buy unsold tickets. Lots of them. Everybody in the media knows this is true, but they can't say so publicly for fear of hurting the feelings of the fan base. The sell out streak is the 3rd rail of this program. It feeds into the collective ego of the fan base. Take that away and you take away the superiority complex of the fans. We are the greatest fans because we keep coming to games and selling out Memorial Stadium blah blah blah. It needs to go away officially to humble a fan base that desperately needs to be humbled. 

My bona fide on this is that a buddy of mine and I each have pair of season tickets One pair in row 22 of the north end zone the other in the first row of the upper east balcony. We each have our own for family and friends. There a times when we can't hardly give them away. The secondary market on the street is $5! Many times they have gone unsold on stub hub for a 1/3 of the face value. From those upper balcony seats you can see the entire landscape of the crowd and what sticks out always is all of the areas of empty seats. Lots of them. Students don't even fill up the student section. University knows that they can't take them away and sell them to the general  public because no one will buy them. Every wonder why stadium capacity went from around 92+ K to to about 88K? To protect the sellout streak. I wouldn't be surprised if the stadium capacity was shrunk to around 85K in the next few years to further protect the ego of the fan base.

As an aside the student section for the NWU game on Sunday (senior day) was about as bad as I've ever seen. Large empty areas of seats behind the benches. Not a good look.

For me....I want to know what he is expecting to occur in 2 years.    It absolutely takes time to build a successful program.   So if he means we are going 9-3/10-2 and winning the West in 2 years.   Yeah...I can buy that.   It takes time to get to that level.

If it is just getting to .500 and a mediocre bowl game.   That I can't necessarily buy.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

The sell out streak is not real. Corporate sponsors buy unsold tickets. Lots of them. Everybody in the media knows this is true, but they can't say so publicly for fear of hurting the feelings of the fan base. The sell out streak is the 3rd rail of this program. It feeds into the collective ego of the fan base. Take that away and you take away the superiority complex of the fans. We are the greatest fans because we keep coming to games and selling out Memorial Stadium blah blah blah. It needs to go away officially to humble a fan base that desperately needs to be humbled. 

My bona fide on this is that a buddy of mine and I each have pair of season tickets One pair in row 22 of the north end zone the other in the first row of the upper east balcony. We each have our own for family and friends. There a times when we can't hardly give them away. The secondary market on the street is $5! Many times they have gone unsold on stub hub for a 1/3 of the face value. From those upper balcony seats you can see the entire landscape of the crowd and what sticks out always is all of the areas of empty seats. Lots of them. Students don't even fill up the student section. University knows that they can't take them away and sell them to the general  public because no one will buy them. Every wonder why stadium capacity went from around 92+ K to to about 88K? To protect the sellout streak. I wouldn't be surprised if the stadium capacity was shrunk to around 85K in the next few years to further protect the ego of the fan base.

As an aside the student section for the NWU game on Sunday (senior day) was about as bad as I've ever seen. Large empty areas of seats behind the benches. Not a good look.

I realize that the streak is some smoke and mirrors, but as you said, it's still a thing in the minds of the fans. My point is that if attendance slips, it won't ever come back like it was. People will fall into a mindset of buying tickets based on success, rather than just inertia. You might be right that it provides some sort of cleansing of the Husker collective soul, but we're going to miss the money.

Everyone knows the streak is sustained by some corps buying leftover tickets, who cares? I don’t think average ticket holder cares but i think the coaches like telling recruits about the streak and it sounds good on TV. Therefore it helps us and hope it keeps going as long as it can. Never will understand why some want it to end.