B1G 2019/20 Honors

Congrats to Leigha Brown, 6th player of the year by both the coaches and the media. Also congrats to Kate Cain for making the All-defensive team by both the coaches and media. Both also were honored as HM All B1G as well. Congrats to Grace Mitchell, honored for the Sportsmanship award. Complete list posted below.

Edited by All About the Corn

2019-20 All-Big Ten Women's Basketball Teams and Individual Honors (as selected by the Big Ten coaches)
Player of the Year: Kathleen Doyle, Sr., G, Iowa
Freshman of the Year: Ashley Owusu, G, Maryland
Coach of the Year: Joe McKeown, Northwestern
Defensive Player of the Year: Veronica Burton, So., G, Northwestern
Sixth Player of the Year: Leigha Brown, So., G, Nebraska
First Team All-Big Ten Second Team All-Big Ten Honorable Mention All-Big Ten All-Freshman Team
Grace Berger, Indiana Monika Czinano, Iowa Taylor Mikesell, Maryland Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana
Ali Patberg, Indiana Makenzie Meyer, Iowa Ashley Owusu, Maryland McKenna Warnock, Iowa
KATHLEEN DOYLE, Iowa Shakira Austin, Maryland Blair Watson, Maryland ASHLEY OWUSU, Maryland
KAILA CHARLES, Maryland Stephanie Jones, Maryland Jasmine Powell, Minnesota Jasmine Powell, Minnesota
NAZ HILLMON, Michigan Amy Dilk, Michigan Leigha Brown, Nebraska Kierstan Bell, Ohio State
LINDSEY PULLIAM, Northwestern Nia Clouden, Michigan State Kate Cain, Nebraska  
Abi Scheid, Northwestern Taryn McCutcheon, Michigan State Abbie Wolf, Northwestern All-Defensive Team
Dorka Juhász, Ohio State Taiye Bello, Minnesota Kierstan Bell, Ohio State Blair Watson, Maryland
Ae'Rianna Harris, Purdue Veronica Burton, Northwestern Karissa McLaughlin, Purdue Kate Cain, Nebraska
ARELLA GUIRANTES, Rutgers Kamaria McDaniel, Penn State Dominique Oden, Purdue Veronica Burton, Northwestern
    Tekia Mack, Rutgers Ae'Rianna Harris, Purdue
    Imani Lewis, Wisconsin Tekia Mack, Rutgers
Unanimous selections listed in ALL CAPS

2019-20 All-Big Ten Women's Basketball Teams and Individual Honors (as selected by the Big Ten media)
Player of the Year: Kathleen Doyle, Sr., G, Iowa
Freshman of the Year: Ashley Owusu, G, Maryland
Coach of the Year: Joe McKeown, Northwestern
Defensive Player of the Year: Veronica Burton, So., G, Northwestern
Sixth Player of the Year: Leigha Brown, So., G, Nebraska
First Team All-Big Ten Second Team All-Big Ten Honorable Mention All-Big Ten All-Freshman Team
Ali Patberg, Indiana Grace Berger, Indiana Petra Holešínská, Illinois Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana
KATHLEEN DOYLE, Iowa Makenzie Meyer, Iowa Jaelynn Penn, Indiana Ashley Owusu, Maryland
Monika Czinano, Iowa Shakira Austin, Maryland Taylor Mikesell, Maryland Jasmine Powell, Minnesota
KAILA CHARLES, Maryland Stephanie Jones, Maryland Blair Watson, Maryland Sara Scalia, Minnesota
NAZ HILLMON, Michigan Ashley Owusu, Maryland Amy Dilk, Michigan Kierstan Bell, Ohio State
LINDSEY PULLIAM, Northwestern Nia Clouden, Michigan State Taryn McCutcheon, Michigan State  
Dorka Juhász, Ohio State Taiye Bello, Minnesota Gadiva Hubbard, Minnesota All-Defensive Team
Kamaria McDaniel, Penn State Veronica Burton, Northwestern Jasmine Powell, Minnesota Blair Watson, Maryland
Ae'Rianna Harris, Purdue Abi Scheid, Northwestern Sara Scalia, Minnesota Kate Cain, Nebraska
Arella Guirantes, Rutgers Imani Lewis, Wisconsin Leigha Brown, Nebraska Veronica Burton, Northwestern
    Kate Cain, Nebraska Ae'Rianna Harris, Purdue
    Abbie Wolf, Northwestern Tekia Mack, Rutgers
    Sydney Wood, Northwestern  
    Kierstan Bell, Ohio State  
    Karissa McLaughlin, Purdue  
    Dominique Oden, Purdue  
    Tekia Mack, Rutgers  
    Abby Laszewski, Wisconsin  
Unanimous selections listed in ALL CAPS

2019-20 Big Ten Sportsmanship Award Honorees
Courtney Joens Illinois
Brenna Wise Indiana
Makenzie Meyer Iowa
Stephanie Jones Maryland
Kayla Robbins Michigan
Victoria Gaines Michigan State
Jasmine Brunson Minnesota
Grace Mitchell Nebraska
Amber Jamison Northwestern
Jacy Sheldon Ohio State
Kayleigh Semion Penn State
Dominique Oden Purdue
Khadaizha Sanders Rutgers
Suzanne Gilreath Wisconsin

12 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Kathleen Doyle, player of the year.  Connie saw something in her.

yep. wrong thread, but, hope the staff is digging hard for a "good" pg in the next class------or two. a natural leader. know nothing about Moriarity---maybe?

Edited by whoopdeedoo

15 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Kathleen Doyle, player of the year.  Connie saw something in her.

Iowa will be OK without Doyle. They have a good pipeline of players coming in, and they are well coached and develop. The year before they had a national POY to lose to graduation and have good team the next year.

Our Connie fiasco lost Doyle and others. (old old story rehashed many times) ..and yes Shimmy could recruit. (where is she now...Clemson ?

No UN player on first or second B1G teams. Mystery to me is why our top scorer doesn't start. Still can't reconcile that. Systemic issue ?

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

Iowa will be OK without Doyle. They have a good pipeline of players coming in, and they are well coached and develop. The year before they had a national POY to lose to graduation and have good team the next year.

Our Connie fiasco lost Doyle and others. (old old story rehashed many times) ..and yes Shimmy could recruit. (where is she now...Clemson ?

No UN player on first or second B1G teams. Mystery to me is why our top scorer doesn't start. Still can't reconcile that. Systemic issue ?

i'd put $$$ on that one---will be in running for that 3, 4, 5 spot. plus, they will be rather young---should start freshman, junior, and possibly 2 sophs. maybe sr at the other spot.

kinda wish matt would ask coach if brown asked to come off the bench? mutual decision? or if all coaching? well, at least Brown got recognized the way it turned out. 

Shimmy is at Clemson----7-22 overall, 3-15 ACC

Edited by whoopdeedoo

On 3/3/2020 at 2:52 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

i'd put $$$ on that one---will be in running for that 3, 4, 5 spot. plus, they will be rather young---should start freshman, junior, and possibly 2 sophs. maybe sr at the other spot.

kinda wish matt would ask coach if brown asked to come off the bench? mutual decision? or if all coaching? well, at least Brown got recognized the way it turned out. 

Shimmy is at Clemson----7-22 overall, 3-15 ACC

I know for a fact Brown did not ask to come of the bench. Proud of the kid for Embracing what Coach has asked of her, not many kids would be doing what she has done. I think she more than proved while playing in Europe and throughout  this season(and last) why she should have been starting.  And for the haters of her defense, just take a look at the games she kept their best players to low scoring!  

I have listened to some of the color commentators on the B1G and when they talk about NE more than a few seem to suggest (wonder) why Brown is not starting. It would be nice to see or hear Amy answer that question. I think it was Sam from the OWH that had a story on Brown and the role she was asked to play this year. Hope we get to see her for two more years. 

I think Amy addressed this during the year.  She likes the fire power Leigha brings with the first wave of subs.  She does not want to see a drop in production.

Now, was it successful?  That can be debated.  Will she continue to bring Leigha in from the bench next year?  That is also up for debate.  IMO, good chance, Leigha starts the next two years.        

Edited by 12dozen

52 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

I think Amy addressed this during the year.  She likes the fire power Leigha brings with the first wave of subs.  She does not want to see a drop in production.

Now, was it successful?  That can be debated.  Will she continue to bring Leigha in from the bench next year?  That is also up for debate.  IMO, good chance, Leigha starts the next two years.        

? ....start your best scorer and get a lead. She should be on the floor scoring as long as she can keep the wheels fresh.

Edited by redsteve

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:29 AM, Cazzie22 said:

Brown played starters minutes.  She accepted the role.  Should she start next year? Probably, but that’s up to the staff.

Looking at the B1G All Conference Teams it’s apparent why we finished 10th.

That was my impression as well when I looked at those.

And Leigha should start next year and play as much as she can handle.