uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 29 - vs. Northwestern

15 hours ago, jayschool said:

I'm going to drag my 58-year-old self to the campus rec center in Iowa City tomorrow, check out a basketball, do no warmups to loosen my arthritic hand and knees, or my nerve-impinged shooting shoulder, and I'm going to shoot 30 free throws. If possible, I'll get some Iowa students to yell at me while I shoot, but that's unlikely. 

If it takes me 30 attempts to make eight free throws, I'll stop complaining about Nebrasketball. Forever.

OK. I went to the rec center. No warmups, shooting shoulder inflamed, arthritic knee acting up, etc. I asked a custodian who was sweeping the floor to keep track so as to provide some pressure (it's not 15,000 fans, but what else can I do?). I'm embarrassed to report I made only 15-of-30, only the second time I've touched a basketball since June 2017.

Edited by jayschool

20 minutes ago, jayschool said:

OK. I went to the rec center. No warmups, shooting shoulder inflamed, arthritic knee acting up, etc. I asked a custodian who was sweeping the floor to keep track so as to provide some pressure (it's not 15,000 fans, but what else can I do?). I'm embarrassed to report I made only 15-of-30, only the second time I've touched a basketball since June 2017.

I'd make more than 8 of 30 if I were blindfolded.

23 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Did you miss 3 in a row?  

The fans of this shit-show deserve to be recognized as among the best fans in all of American sport. Over fifteen-thousand show up to watch the home team puke and piss themselves every game. Is there a better fan base (including those other disasters, football & baseball). It has been a dreadful spell but I have been dragging this sack of cement up hill since the early 70s. I wouldn't even know how to stop rooting for them even if I wanted to. I feel a kinship w/ many on this board much like someone who survives a disaster with another. Go big red!

2 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

The fans of this shit-show deserve to be recognized as among the best fans in all of American sport. Over fifteen-thousand show up to watch the home team puke and piss themselves every game. Is there a better fan base (including those other disasters, football & baseball). It has been a dreadful spell but I have been dragging this sack of cement up hill since the early 70s. I wouldn't even know how to stop rooting for them even if I wanted to. I feel a kinship w/ many on this board much like someone who survives a disaster with another. Go big red!

maybe it's true what they say. maybe there just really is nothing else to do here. 

20 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Misery loves company...

Towards the end of the game fans in our section where wondering if we could just opt to take the ball out of bounds instead of shooting FT's.

Almost ever single missed free throw was to the left, which coincidentally  was where the player was lined up. Take a half step to the right and those are made FT's.

In high school I volunteered to help out with girls varsity basketball practice. Our job was to be physical in scrimmages. The coach as a pressure move would, at the end of practice, have the whole team running lines except for one girl who would shoot FT's with guys lined up verbally district the shooter. She had to make 7  out 10 before the rest of the team could stop running. lines. That team never shot worse than 75% in a game.