uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 29 - vs. Northwestern

Great posts, all. And yes, the botched two-for-one potential possession was (hopefully) bad execution and not by design.

Either case, that was staggeringly inept.

NU men's big-three sports are staggering. For the money invested there isn't a college nearly as terrible. After this coming football season when NU hopes to eek out a junky, also-ran bowl game in mid-December I hope NU stops wasting money on athletic scholarships and like the Ivy League, invests it's revenues in academics. The mathematics dept. was honored a few years back as one of the nation's very best. Why keep casting our pearls before swine? They stink every year. Let's accept it and make some rational changes.

2 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Great posts, all. And yes, the botched two-for-one potential possession was (hopefully) bad execution and not by design.

NU men's big-three sports are staggering. For the money invested there isn't a college nearly as terrible. After this coming football season when NU hopes to eek out a junky, also-ran bowl game in mid-December I hope NU stops wasting money on athletic scholarships and like the Ivy League, invests it's revenues in academics. The mathematics dept. was honored a few years back as one of the nation's very best. Why keep casting our pearls before swine? They stink every year. Let's accept it and make some rational changes.

That’s not rational though 

I'm going to drag my 58-year-old self to the campus rec center in Iowa City tomorrow, check out a basketball, do no warmups to loosen my arthritic hand and knees, or my nerve-impinged shooting shoulder, and I'm going to shoot 30 free throws. If possible, I'll get some Iowa students to yell at me while I shoot, but that's unlikely. 

If it takes me 30 attempts to make eight free throws, I'll stop complaining about Nebrasketball. Forever.

7 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I'm going to drag my 58-year-old self to the campus rec center in Iowa City tomorrow, check out a basketball, do no warmups to loosen my arthritic hand and knees, or my nerve-impinged shooting shoulder, and I'm going to shoot 30 free throws. If possible, I'll get some Iowa students to yell at me while I shoot, but that's unlikely. 

If it takes me 30 attempts to make eight free throws, I'll stop complaining about Nebrasketball. Forever.

Just warning you, if you happen to be funny looking, people might think you're on the Iowa roster...

After having a few drinks this afternoon and tonight, I came to two stunning revelations.

1) NyQuil tastes better the more you drink. I highly recommend mixing the cherry NyQuil with bourbon.

2) This thought is likely influenced by the above but we will look back and laugh at this loss when we win five game in five days in Chicago.  

2 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

After having a few drinks this afternoon and tonight, I came to two stunning revelations.

1) NyQuil tastes better the more you drink. I highly recommend mixing the cherry NyQuil with bourbon.

2) This thought is likely influenced by the above but we will look back and laugh at this loss when we win five game in five days in Chicago.  

Serious question now... if we do that, do we get better than a 16 seed?

I went up to the gym tonight. Didn’t warm up. Took 10 free throws. Made 6 of them. Nothing to be proud of but double the accuracy of our team this afternoon. Fellas, I play basketball about 4-5 times per year.  I’m in my early 40’s. My arm is sore more than it’s not.  It’s all in between the ears. Nebraska male athletes In football and basketball must be drinking from the same well...

Seven random thoughts:

1)  We beat Iowa, think how crappy they still must feel about that.

2)  No one has asked the question just how bad at basketball is Northwestern?  Ok, so they beat us.  Who cares.  We set the modern day record for free throw misery, turned the ball over 21 times, missed 20 shots within 3 feet and still almost beat them. I am sorry, but Northwestern is awful at basketball and if there was ever a game to give a loss to each team, this would be it.

3). We beat Iowa.  That should drop them to a five seed in the NIT.

4). I would have killed for an 8 out of 30 success rate with the women in high school.  

5). We beat Iowa.  I hope Fran still loses sleep over it.

6). One well timed 11 game winning streak at the end of the season and we are National Champions.

7). We beat Iowa, they suck.

2 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Do the scholarships come from the Education part of the University or the athletics part of the university?  Two totally different things so that’s why I ask. 

From UNL

Nebraska Post-Game Notes

• Nebraska played in its fourth overtime game of the season, falling to 1-3 in overtime games. The four overtime games ties the school record, set most recently in 2007-08. NU falls to 63-50 all-time in overtime games.
  • The Huskers tied their season high with 12 3-pointers, marking the third game this season with 12 threes. With the 12 3-pointers, Nebraska has made 236 threes this season, moving into fourth place on the program’s single-season 3-point list.
  • Nebraska had a season-high 16 steals in the game, eclipsing its previous high of 15 on Dec. 29 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The 16 steals were a Pinnacle Bank Arena record and the most by a Husker team since recording 16 against San Jose State on Nov. 16, 2008.
  • Dachon Burke Jr. tied his season high with five steals, as one of five Huskers with multiple steals. He also have five steals against George Mason
  • Yvan Ouedraogo grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, matching the Pinnacle Bank Arena record first set by Maryland’s Bruno Fernando on Feb. 6, 2019. Ouedraogo leads Nebraska with a Husker freshman-record 191 rebounds this season. Ouedraogo’s 19 rebounds is the most by a freshman since at least the 1986-87 season (Brian Conkin had 17 vs. Kansas State, 2/14/01). Ouedraogo’s 19 rebounds is the most by a Husker since Alex Maric had 19 against Missouri on Feb. 24, 2007
  • Ouedraogo also scored 11 points to go along with his 19 rebounds, posting his third double-double of the season and second in three games. He is averaging 8.5 points and 9.3 rebounds per game over Nebraska’s last six contests. Ouedraogo’s three double-doubles equals the most ever by a Husker freshman.
  • Haanif Cheatham led Nebraska with 20 points on Senior Day, his 12th career 20-point game and fourth this season. It is NU’s 11 20-point game of the season.
  • Dachon Burke Jr. had 19 points, including 18 in the second half and overtime.
  • Cam Mack had seven assists giving him 179 assists this season, as he tied Charles Richardson Jr. (2006-07) for the third-most assists in a season in Nebraska history.
  • Nebraska finished the season with an average attendance of 15,605, breaking the school record for highest average attendance (15,569, 2014-15).

42 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

From UNL

Nebraska Post-Game Notes

• Nebraska played in its fourth overtime game of the season, falling to 1-3 in overtime games. The four overtime games ties the school record, set most recently in 2007-08. NU falls to 63-50 all-time in overtime games.
  • The Huskers tied their season high with 12 3-pointers, marking the third game this season with 12 threes. With the 12 3-pointers, Nebraska has made 236 threes this season, moving into fourth place on the program’s single-season 3-point list.
  • Nebraska had a season-high 16 steals in the game, eclipsing its previous high of 15 on Dec. 29 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The 16 steals were a Pinnacle Bank Arena record and the most by a Husker team since recording 16 against San Jose State on Nov. 16, 2008.
  • Dachon Burke Jr. tied his season high with five steals, as one of five Huskers with multiple steals. He also have five steals against George Mason
  • Yvan Ouedraogo grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, matching the Pinnacle Bank Arena record first set by Maryland’s Bruno Fernando on Feb. 6, 2019. Ouedraogo leads Nebraska with a Husker freshman-record 191 rebounds this season. Ouedraogo’s 19 rebounds is the most by a freshman since at least the 1986-87 season (Brian Conkin had 17 vs. Kansas State, 2/14/01). Ouedraogo’s 19 rebounds is the most by a Husker since Alex Maric had 19 against Missouri on Feb. 24, 2007
  • Ouedraogo also scored 11 points to go along with his 19 rebounds, posting his third double-double of the season and second in three games. He is averaging 8.5 points and 9.3 rebounds per game over Nebraska’s last six contests. Ouedraogo’s three double-doubles equals the most ever by a Husker freshman.
  • Haanif Cheatham led Nebraska with 20 points on Senior Day, his 12th career 20-point game and fourth this season. It is NU’s 11 20-point game of the season.
  • Dachon Burke Jr. had 19 points, including 18 in the second half and overtime.
  • Cam Mack had seven assists giving him 179 assists this season, as he tied Charles Richardson Jr. (2006-07) for the third-most assists in a season in Nebraska history.
  • Nebraska finished the season with an average attendance of 15,605, breaking the school record for highest average attendance (15,569, 2014-15).

who led the group with most missed free throws? 

12 hours ago, jayschool said:

I challenge you to a FT contest in June