Nebraska (17-11) (7-10) vs. Indiana (21-7) (11-5) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Collapse, pure and simple. Will have to be changes....Moos has his work cut out for him. Next year if things stay the same, it probably  won't work. 

After the Sam, Veerbeek, Brown, Mershon class.... I really thought we were on the way.

No need to say  a lot. It's up to others to fix it now.

Edited by redsteve

The announcers said tonight that Brown was the leading scorer of her team and is not a starter. They said that no other Big 10 team had a nonstarter that was their leading scorer.  I would say that of all the division I schools and maybe all levels of college ball don't have their leading scorer not start.  If there are, I bet it's only a very very small percentage.  I just don't get Coach Williams thinking (and probably every coach at all levels too).  For example, tonight we didn't score for the first 3 1/2 minutes of the game.  Finally Williams puts in Brown and she hits her first shot right away.  I think she had 9 of our 13 total points in the first quarter.  She should be starting and playing as long as she can.  She is the only player on our team that is a consistent scorer.  Whitish and Cain can't create their shots.  Cain is the only post player that I know that catches the ball 3-4 feet from the basket and ends up taking 6-9 foot fall away shots with limited success. They have never been able to teach her any kind of moves towards the basket.  Every team we play has a post player who knows how to maneuver around the basket and get those easy point blank layups.  

I worry that Williams will continue to stick with her idea for next year  that it's great for the team if the leading scorer sits the bench to start games.  I know some people don't think she plays good defense. I will say that there is only one person on the team that plays good defense and that is Eliley. The rest of the players all struggle. 

I'm ready for this season to be over with.  Sadly though, I don't see next years team being any better and probably worse. I'm not sure how long Moos will put up with this kind of basketball program.  We always seem to have money to go out and get a good quality coach that can recruit. It wouldn't hurt my feeling if he did it sooner than later.  Sorry if I'm being a little tough but she makes a lot of money and I guess I expect a better product.

I do believe that it takes 5 years to insert a program.  That being said Amy's seat is probably getting hot and it really should be getting hot.  With the facilities that they have and support they have, a top 5-10 program in the country should be the expectation.  With the current direction I do not see that happening...  Let's honest there are some real disturbing trends that the current staff have to over come.

1) player development seemingly little

2) conditioning pretty weak to be honest

3) basic skills not enforced ie boxing out, attacking the glass, sound passing etc.( there is bench space available for people not doing those things)

4) offensive ball movement glacial pace 

( can anyone explain to me why our bigs are play more on the perimeter than down low. How do we play inside out or for that matter outside in)

5) defense and defensive pressure pedestrian 

That's a lot of wood to chop to get it over the top by year 5

Brown has improved on the defensive end from where she started. She is our best overall player. To me what is really troubling is the lack of development of our players. Even in season. We seem to make the same mistakes over and over. I would think they watch the game the next day to talk about the good and the bad. Watching the second quarter last night Hannah had a turn over when she did not pass the ball soon enough to an open Bourne on a pick and roll. By the time she did pass Patberg stole the ball and went down the floor and scored on a layup. That just happens way too much. We do not react well on the defensive end either. Why oh why should Cain be way out by the three point line on the defensive end then try and quickly get back to play post defense? I know you are always looking to upgrade the talent on your team but when the coaches do not put you in position to be effective that is not on the players. It just seems like Amy had a plan going into the season and come hell or high water she was going to stick to it. Great coaches adjust what they do or adjust the lineup when you are not getting the production you are looking for. Amy seat should be getting hot and if she does not make changes going into next year she could be done without a NCAA team after next year.

Edited by All About the Corn

On the Bright Side!  :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

Numbers to Watch
(3)
Kate Cain needs three blocks to reach 100 on the year to tie her own Nebraska season record. (One Blk - that was counted :Redface:)
(4.0)
Kate Cain and Kristian Hudson posted perfect 4.0 grade-point averages during the fall semester of 2019. (Check! :thumbsup:)
(14)
Sam Haiby needs 14 points to reach 600 in her career. (Five Points :Cheer2:)
(22)
Leigha Brown is 22 points away from 700 in her career. (Twenty-two Points - Check! :Bow:)
(114)
Nicea Eliely is scheduled to make her 114th career start, which will tie her for 10th in Nebraska history with former WNBA All-Star (Indiana Fever) on the Husker all-time list for starts. (Check! :Bow:)

16 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Well, on to another game tonight that I'm sure will be frustrating/disappointing as well.  😬

You nailed that one.  On the bright side, I really think Hoiberg will turn the men's program around.  Even in defeat, I have enjoyed watching his teams this year. The wins might not be there, but it does look like they improve from game to game.  Doc has them playing much better defense than early in the year.  I like the offense. They get shots, just don't make enough.  Roster should be vastly improved next year.

Wish I could say I had the same feeling for Amy's program.  We appear headed, in the wrong direction. She, or Moos, need to make some changes.

15 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I agree, but who is going to get the ball to Kissinger?  She cannot get her own.  Taylor is  a decent rebounder which this team needs more players that do rebound.

Kissinger's more capable of driving and developing a midrange game than she's shown.

But point taken. 

A late-season surge can reshape a thing or two. Win 1 in Big Tens and a couple in the WNIT and 20 will feel a little different. 

As it stands: 5-12 vs. Top 100 RPI teams this year. 5-13 last year. 

Right now not sure this team can get 2-3 more wins Sam. I agree Kissinger has shown signs of being more than a deep threat but how much time will she miss with her latest injury? If no one leaves via a transfer then a big part of next year will be how much work will our returning players put in to improve. If Amy makes changes to her staff and right now not too sure that will happen does she take a hard look at where this team including her staff is and what it will take to get to a upper tier B1G finish and a trip to the NCAA's. As much as you can speak about Hannah, and Nicea keeping their commitment to NE, they really did not improve much over the course of their four years here.

we'll see how things unfold (as far as big ten tourney, i just hope they don't have to play rutgers in that first round---bad matchup)...............but, right now this team just looks mentally whipped. i might be way off base on this, but, i commend coach on calling a timeout when things were already way out of hand. when indiana sunk a 3 pointer late in the 4th, she noticed just how bad the body language reached. i won't fault her for that decision. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo