Jump to content
AuroranHusker

Wisc. transfer Kobe King is 'N'

Recommended Posts

If you had asked me a week ago to pick a player on the current roster (currently in the US) that would not make it to summer workouts, I wouldn't have had Kobe King at the top of my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

SIAP, but Washut expects the 13th scholarship to be filled by the end of the day. Seems like the staff has known for awhile this was going to happen. 

 

Sounds like the staff knew for roughly two weeks or so that him coming here was looking bleak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Any rumblings to what was behind it for King?

It’s a bummer because I think he could have been a big time leader for this team.

 

 

Academic "challenge" is the word on the street. Makes me wonder if 'immediate eligibility' wasn't in the cards...

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, AuroranHusker said:

 

Academic "challenge" is the word on the street. Makes me wonder if 'immediate eligibility' wasn't in the cards...

 

 

Someone tell me what sort of 'academic challenges' a guy who was eligible to play at Wisconsin for two years could have.

Then take that list of challenges and tell me how hard a school that needs 20-30 minutes from a guy with B1G experience to contribute to this team would work to overcome them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

42 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

Someone tell me what sort of 'academic challenges' a guy who was eligible to play at Wisconsin for two years could have.

Then take that list of challenges and tell me how hard a school that needs 20-30 minutes from a guy with B1G experience to contribute to this team would work to overcome them.

There are a number of things that could happen to impact eligibility.   Maybe he didn't go to classes the last semester.   Maybe he didn't take enough credits each semester to show academic progress.   Maybe he was borderline academic probation.  Maybe his credits didn't transfer over.      

 

The 2nd part of your puzzle I have no idea how to answer so I give up.

 

My solution is...it's water under the bridge.   The 13th spot has been refilled and I am moving on. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, REDitus said:

There are a number of things that could happen to impact eligibility.   Maybe he didn't go to classes the last semester.   Maybe he didn't take enough credits each semester to show academic progress.   Maybe he was borderline academic probation.  Maybe his credits didn't transfer over.      

 

The 2nd part of your puzzle I have no idea how to answer so I give up.

 

My solution is...it's water under the bridge.   The 13th spot has been refilled and I am moving on. 

 

 

100% agreed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, AuroranHusker said:

 

Academic "challenge" is the word on the street. Makes me wonder if 'immediate eligibility' wasn't in the cards...

 

 

 

 


Not what I heard....I’ve heard he told coaches he lost interest in playing basketball and wants to focus on the BLM movement. Could be BS.  Guess we will see if he ends up anywhere. 
 

Unfortunate because he would have helped out quite a bit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:


Not what I heard....I’ve heard he told coaches he lost interest in playing basketball and wants to focus on the BLM movement. Could be BS.  Guess we will see if he ends up anywhere. 
 

Unfortunate because he would have helped out quite a bit 

 

There is work to do in Lincoln.  There's a statue of Tom Osborne and Brook Berringer that needs dismantled.  Geesh, what was he thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:


Not what I heard....I’ve heard he told coaches he lost interest in playing basketball and wants to focus on the BLM movement. Could be BS.  Guess we will see if he ends up anywhere. 
 

Unfortunate because he would have helped out quite a bit 

 

I agree It is unfortunate.   

 

I am okay with it though as I would rather have someone here who wants to be here rather than someone who feels miserable about it as that usually is spread to other people.  Best of luck to the young man though we hardly knew you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, REDitus said:

 

I agree It is unfortunate.   

 

I am okay with it though as I would rather have someone here who wants to be here rather than someone who feels miserable about it as that usually is spread to other people.  Best of luck to the young man though we hardly knew you. 

 

Wisconsin went 11-8 with him last season, and 9-2 without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swan88 said:
2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

 

Meanwhile we went 7-25 without him last season.

????  
We went 7-25 without a lot of people.  Sarcasm?

 

The way I interpreted the comment was that Kobe was just as effective for Wisconsin as he was ineffective.

 

We're not Wisconsin. A player like Kobe could've made an impact to the team that could've translated to a better result than 7 wins on the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 7:20 PM, cipsucks said:

 

There is work to do in Lincoln.  There's a statue of Tom Osborne and Brook Berringer that needs dismantled.  Geesh, what was he thinking?

 

The intention of the Osborne and Berringer statue is not to perpetuate a myth like the Lost Cause nor is it meant to intimidate or exclude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

 

The intention of the Osborne and Berringer statue is not to perpetuate a myth like the Lost Cause nor is it meant to intimidate or exclude.

 

Not to continue off into the weeds, but what was the intention of the Hans Christian Heg statue, which rioters tore down in Madison, Wisconsin?

 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2020/06/24/hans-christian-hegs-abolitionist-statue-toppled-madison-what-know/3248692001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

 

The intention of the Osborne and Berringer statue is not to perpetuate a myth like the Lost Cause nor is it meant to intimidate or exclude.

 

I agree with the general point you're getting at.  Glorifying the South should never have happened in the first place for a war that a. they caused, b. they lost, and c. was primarily to continue human rights violations.  I have no problem with tearing down every Stonewall Jackson statue and renaming every Jefferson Davis High School.  Also, burn all the kudzu.

 

And yet Ulysses S. Grant and George Washington have had statues toppled in recent weeks, too.  Like so much else that has happened in 2020, what started off as "why yes, I see your point and empathize" has grown to "nope, y'all crazy and just want to destroy stuff."  I'm guessing this was cipsucks' point, although made a bit tongue in cheek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

 

I agree with the general point you're getting at.  Glorifying the South should never have happened in the first place for a war that a. they caused, b. they lost, and c. was primarily to continue human rights violations.  I have no problem with tearing down every Stonewall Jackson statue and renaming every Jefferson Davis High School.  Also, burn all the kudzu.

 

And yet Ulysses S. Grant and George Washington have had statues toppled in recent weeks, too.  Like so much else that has happened in 2020, what started off as "why yes, I see your point and empathize" has grown to "nope, y'all crazy and just want to destroy stuff."  I'm guessing this was cipsucks' point, although made a bit tongue in cheek.

 

In general, I oppose trying to erase history by tearing down statues. "1984" was a cautionary tale. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

In general, I oppose trying to erase history by tearing down statues. "1984" was a cautionary tale. 

 

 

I'm pretty sure we don't teach history with statues. We do that with primary source material like the letter Robert E. Lee wrote after the war stating that no statues or monuments should be made of confederates because it would only continue to separate the nation. We use statues to memorialize and celebrate the history we feel deserves that kind of treatment. Randomly tearing down every statue you come across is mindless and pointless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

In general, I oppose trying to erase history by tearing down statues. "1984" was a cautionary tale. 

 

 

 

I also oppose trying to erase history by tearing down statues.  But on the other hand, I oppose trying to re-write history by strategically putting up statues, too.  Hence why I'm OK with the statues commemorating the Confederate Army's "heroes" coming down, but not Washington's or Grant's.

Edited by aphilso1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I'm pretty sure we don't teach history with statues. We do that with primary source material like the letter Robert E. Lee wrote after the war stating that no statues or monuments should be made of confederates because it would only continue to separate the nation. We use statues to memorialize and celebrate the history we feel deserves that kind of treatment. Randomly tearing down every statue you come across is mindless and pointless. 

If we are trying to tear down statue's of Grant I don't think anyone is teaching history any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...