Wisc. transfer Kobe King is 'N'

AuroranHusker

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Our current roster for next year is

3 Seniors

6 Juniors

4 Sophomores (5 counting Easley)

That's a lot of experience, which is important unless you're Kentucky or Duke.

Think about this related stat — age at the beginning of the 2020-2021 season:

1. Banton 21
  2. King 22
  3. Allen 22
  4. Stevenson 22
  5. Walker 23
  6. Mack 22
  7. Burke 22 + 11 months
  8. Green 22
  9. Thor 22
  10. Mayen 22
  11. Cross 20
  12. Easley 19 + 11 months
  13. Ouedraogo 18
  • We'll be rolling out a lineup of MEN next year, with Yvan the only teenager after the first few weeks, and he's built like a grown-ass man, no doubt.
  • Plus, all of them other than Banton will have at least one year of Power Five experience under their belts.
  • AND, we could see an entirely new starting five, with six guys who have started this year coming off the bench to play specialty roles.

giphy.gif

Edited by jayschool

Will someone succinctly summarize his saga and explain exactly why he is transferring from UW to NU. Why did he redshirt and why is he leaving? Lack of playing time, not recruited by Gard, injury, academic issues? I briefly perused the articles on the recruiting forum but never quite understood why he was unhappy there.

30 minutes ago, jayschool said:

1. Banton 21
  2. King 22
  3. Allen 22
  4. Stevenson 22
  5. Walker 23
  6. Mack 22
  7. Burke 22 + 11 months
  8. Green 22
  9. Thor 22
  10. Mayen 22
  11. Cross 20
  13. Ouedraogo 18
  • We'll be rolling out a lineup of MEN next year, with Yvan the only teenager after the first few weeks, and he's built like a grown-ass man, no doubt.
  • Plus, all of them other than Banton will have at least one year of Power Five experience under their belts.
  • AND, we could see an entirely new starting five, with six guys who have started this year coming off the bench to play specialty roles.

giphy.gif

I can see why you like that "looking forward to next year" thread, J-School.

32 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Will someone succinctly summarize his saga and explain exactly why he is transferring from UW to NU. Why did he redshirt and why is he leaving? Lack of playing time, not recruited by Gard, injury, academic issues? I briefly perused the articles on the recruiting forum but never quite understood why he was unhappy there.

Staff member at Wisconsin used a racial slur

58 minutes ago, jayschool said:

1. Banton 21
  2. King 22
  3. Allen 22
  4. Stevenson 22
  5. Walker 23
  6. Mack 22
  7. Burke 22 + 11 months
  8. Green 22
  9. Thor 22
  10. Mayen 22
  11. Cross 20
  13. Ouedraogo 18

giphy.gif

Love this. We need maturity. King, Banton, Stevenson and Walker seem to be all business and bring a lot of experience. Having Thor back will be huge, as well.

52 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

He has a medical redshirt from his freshman year.

It would appear that he was frustrated with the staff at Wisconsin. It seems like some of the problem was that he committed to Bo Ryan, not Greg Gard.  - https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/kobe-king-says-frustration-was-building-with-coach-greg-gard/article_02dae339-204e-5788-a891-c03e908d1b0a.html

19 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Staff member at Wisconsin used a racial slur

I think that was something mentioned during his outgoing interviews but it wasn't really a deciding factor. It became a lightning rod.

His overarching complaint seemed to be that he didn't think Gard or the staff cared about him

3 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Is it strange he never visited campus? Just committed outta the blue? 

Think it speaks to the sort of relationship he must have with Matt A and/or HCFH.

We'll see what everyone has to say after they can talk about this but I would wonder if they would have landed him at Iowa St had Fred stuck around.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Hopefully, a positive addition.  I wouldn’t count on immediate eligibility.

If that is the case, he will help immensely in 2021-22 since we will be graduating Dachon, Jervay, Thor, and possibly/hopefully an early enrollee in the draft or two (bc that means we are good right 😅🤞)

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Think it speaks to the sort of relationship he must have with Matt A and/or HCFH.

We'll see what everyone has to say after they can talk about this but I would wonder if they would have landed him at Iowa St had Fred stuck around.

Good point. Especially considering one of the other schools that appeared in the running was UNLV with Coach Otz

20 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

I'm intrigued to see what he looks like in a much more up tempo offense. His shooting numbers need work but he can drive and he's built. This one intrigues me

I've also been at the conclusion that one of Green or Burke won't be on the team next year. This kinda confirms it for me

Shooting-wise then, he'll fit right in.  That's my worry for next year - should be better with much more size, but still no one who can shoot.

I tend to agree with the second part.  Just a feeling.