B1G coaches

Bugeaters1

I do not understand the angst with the talent on the team.

Her are some fun filled facts.

Riley Casio Jensen told she would not be talented enough to play on our team going forward.  Somehow she is the starting point guard on a team that is better than ours.

Monica Arens, Nebraska girl, not talented enough to merit a look from us.  She's a starting guard on a team much much better than ours.

We have enough talent to win.  We lack coaching, conditioning and player development.

Not sure that the 2017-18 coach of the year shouldn't have gone to Miss Emily.

6 hours ago, caveman said:

Her are some fun filled facts.

Riley Casio Jensen told she would not be talented enough to play on our team going forward.  Somehow she is the starting point guard on a team that is better than ours.

Monica Arens, Nebraska girl, not talented enough to merit a look from us.  She's a starting guard on a team much much better than ours.

We have enough talent to win.  We lack coaching, conditioning and player development.

Not sure that the 2017-18 coach of the year shouldn't have gone to Miss Emily.

This.  I’ve often wondered why we let RCJ go when she seemed to be the only true PG we had.  I could understand it if we had an amazing PG that was coming into the program, but we didn’t.

USD steals kids from Nebraska in many sports frequently.   And many of them do well.  Maybe I’m biased because my kid is one of those kids and had she gone to NU she would be on their all time top 10 list.  However, we knew she wouldn’t have gotten the coaching or development that she has had at USD.

34 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I would be careful when comparing the talent in the Summit conference vs the talent in the B1G conference. I not saying these kids can not compete in a P5 conference but their is a difference.

I’m sure for some sports that is true.  But I also feel that USD WBB would easily beat our Huskers, and SDSU would give them a run, and I’ve felt that way for the past 4 years.   It’s easier with track and field because times are times, heights are heights, and distances are distances no matter what conference you are in.

9 hours ago, caveman said:

3 hours ago, huskerchode said:

This.  I’ve often wondered why we let RCJ go when she seemed to be the only true PG we had.  I could understand it if we had an amazing PG that was coming into the program, but we didn’t.

USD steals kids from Nebraska in many sports frequently.   And many of them do well.  Maybe I’m biased because my kid is one of those kids and had she gone to NU she would be on their all time top 10 list.  However, we knew she wouldn’t have gotten the coaching or development that she has had at USD.

Wow, Some pretty telling comments, from some folks I believe to be credible (at least more knowledgeable than I, but that would apply to nearly everyone on this board).   If this is the general perception of our WBB program, no wonder we appear to be having difficulty establishing a pipeline of high level incoming recruits.  

Up to now I've been pretty happy with recruiting; for example the incoming Fab Four Freshmen (who I was hoping would become the Sizzling Sophomores), and the Ladies from Down Under,  But we don't seem to be having much success in attracting talent for ongoing positions of need, a Point Guard, for instance, or a replacement for the Athleticism of Nicea, stalwart of the team for the past four years.  It would seem the opportunity for immediate playing time should be a real attraction for highly-talented recruits.  Perhaps it IS the perceived lack of development that have drawn attention from several posters that is the impediment.

5 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

So would USD had taken the game from the team that beat Iowa at the beginning of B1G play? Maybe, maybe not. Would they take a game from us next week? Yes. Yes the same players but really two different teams if you understand where NE was and now is.

What's your point?   

I am not completely sure what All About's point was, but when you add the fact that we only lost one player (Kissinger) and that the way playing time spread around, it's hard to believe that fatigue was a factor .... well what does that leave. 

We could be equally curious about what LJS writer Brent Wagner was getting at when he concluded his LJS  account of yesterday's game this way .... "This marks the 4th time in the last five years that the Huskers haven't won a game in the Big 10 Tourney".  Hmmm. Perhaps I am reading too much into this, but i take note of the fact that the story was about a particular game and the last sentence was about the tenure of a coaching staff.  

9 hours ago, redsteve said:

"This marks the 4th time in the last five years that the Huskers haven't won a game in the Big 10 Tourney"

Pretty sure it hasn't gone unnoticed by certain concerned individuals.

Yori won 3 Big 12 tourney games in her first 7 years. Why? It was hard as hell. In 2008, for example, 8 (!) of the 12 teams made the tourney. In Nebraska's 30-win year, 7 teams made it, and 6 (!) were in the top 16 seeds. 

Yori won more conference tourney games in her first 3 years of the Big Ten than she did in 8 years in the Big 12. 

Now the Big 12 stinks (boy, does it) and the Big Ten's hard as hell. So it goes. 

The money's kicking in, y'all. (Maryland and Rutgers changed it, too.) 

Edited by swmckewon

25 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Yori won 3 Big 12 tourney games in her first 7 years. Why? It was hard as hell. In 2008, for example, 8 (!) of the 12 teams made the tourney. In Nebraska's 30-win year, 7 teams made it, and 6 (!) were in the top 16 seeds. 

Yori won more conference tourney games in her first 3 years of the Big Ten than she did in 8 years in the Big 12. 

Now the Big 12 stinks (boy, does it) and the Big Ten's hard as hell. So it goes. 

The money's kicking in, y'all. (Maryland and Rutgers changed it, too.) 

See my post Yori.vs. Williams.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, kevinpete2016 said:

Whalen just received a 1-year extension so she will be just fine.

Minnesota State girls bb tourney: Whalen and the Gophers have 10 offers out to players that will be playing in the tournament. that would include classes from 2021-23. don't know how many other offers out there to players who are seniors or younger who didn't make it to state. 

just a little fyi on the kind of talent minnesota gbb produces. how many Whalen can get to stay at "home", that might be another story. i recognized at least a handful of those that have garnered interest from big time schools. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

18 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Minnesota State girls bb tourney: Whalen and the Gophers have 10 offers out to players that will be playing in the tournament. that would include classes from 2021-23. don't know how many other offers out there to players who are seniors or younger who didn't make it to state. 

just a little fyi on the kind of talent minnesota gbb produces. how many Whalen can get to stay at "home", that might be another story. i recognized at least a handful of those that have garnered interest from big time schools. 

So it's like throwing a net out and see how many it catches.

• 4 weeks later...

As in life you can tell a lot about a manager/coach when they have to face a large amount of issues.  Williams will be in a pivotal fifth season this fall and will have the opportunity to show how she tackles the present adversity.  She obviously needs to add several players soon for this season.  She hasn't done much with the transfer market to date but hopefully that will change.  It will be interesting.

6 hours ago, HUD said:

As in life you can tell a lot about a manager/coach when they have to face a large amount of issues.  Williams will be in a pivotal fifth season this fall and will have the opportunity to show how she tackles the present adversity.  She obviously needs to add several players soon for this season.  She hasn't done much with the transfer market to date but hopefully that will change.  It will be interesting.

i'd take Bell and/or Allen....😉