Chill Out

An as expected season, nothing to get too upset about.  I'm hoping Hoiberg can build a program, not just a team for a season or two.  Relying on JUCO recruits, if that is what is going to happen, meh.  Hoiberg knows best.  It is what it is. 

Has any of the big three Husker men's sports exceeded anyone's expectations for the last 10-20 years?  Maybe the month, basically, of good basketball we got from Tim Miles in 2014 to get us into the NCAA tourney?  I'm just more disappointed in the athletic department as a whole.  How did this once proud athletic department get to this point?  This is just another year in the current dark ages of Husker athletics.  Hopefully we get to see the light again someday. 

Maybe its defeated resignation, but my health would suffer if I didn't "chill out" for just about every Husker sports season. 

Can't say I am happy about this year or my preseason prediction of 18 victories. I'm not happy about seeing Mookie in Dodger blue either. Nevertheless I'll still hold on to hopes for 3 more wins this season, a Red Sox wild card, and a decent bowl game. Good thing the Chiefs topped off my yearly sports optimism tank already.

Baseball started down the path when Dollar Bill hired Mike Anderson instead of Rob Childress  here and then hired Rob at A&M when he went there.

Harvey Perlman

Basketball has been in a funk when Danny got lazy on the recruiting trail (his words)

A couple really really bad AD hires

TO making Frank keep his old coaches

Solich, Bo and Mike a couple decent hires but not great hires and well Mike

Yes, it has been a disaster for two decades. colhusker, you nailed it. If I were more paranoid I'd wonder about Dollar Bill's motivations (hiring Anderson, then leaving for A & M and hiring a good coach). And why Nee got lazy is beyond me. Making hundreds of thousands (then) per year and only having to satisfy minimal expectations really caused me to abandon support for Nee. And lastly, Osborne's slavishness to a lifelong subordinate was myopic at best- in one of my darker imaginings I wondered if he chose his successor in order to look loyal, why ensuring maximum contrast to his (Osborne's greatness).... That was the near consensus at the U of I when legendary football coach F. Evashevskie strong-armed the athletic dept. to hire his successor- it is possible.

Whatever the reason, NU stinks in the big three men's sports and has for ages.

I do think Hoiberg's brilliance makes it likely NU will become relevant nationally- football seems lost forever and baseball will prove too hard to get recruits consistently to come to a place with shit- weather unless the coach is world-class (as Van Horn was). What is good is that if nothing happens and NU remains a perennial loser in all the sports it doesn't matter. 

I am pretty chill all things considered.   Heck, I have only been waiting for a NCAA tournament win for seven + decades and have only been attending every home game for five + decades...so there's that!

But, without pushing the panic button, I would be a lot more chill if I saw exponential growth from this years team, solid fundamental basketball from this years team, consistency from this year's team and a winners attitude from this year's team.  Many are making an assumption that talent will improve next year, but I am not yet convinced of that occurring.   I truly, truly want to believe.  Heck, i have been accused by many of wearing rose colored glasses; however, let's look at the current list of new eligible players for next year with no names attached:

* a talented juco that will be on his fourth or fifth stop since leaving HS.  Can he stay on the floor?

* a juco who played okay at P5 school, but does he have the strength to play with B10 bigs on a night to night basis?

* a talented transfer on his third stop since HS who will not have played in a competitive game in two years?

* a transfer PF who struggled to find playing time at his previous school?

* a tall thin guard who is coming from a mid-major who really has not proven anything at this point.

Now, some or all of these guys could be stars.  Then again, no one really knows.  But all of that said, I wish I could be more chill, but goodness, we have a long way to go in order to move to wear we need to be in order to play with the big boys.

5 hours ago, Huskerone said:

An as expected season, nothing to get too upset about.  I'm hoping Hoiberg can build a program, not just a team for a season or two.  Relying on JUCO recruits, if that is what is going to happen, meh.  Hoiberg knows best.  It is what it is. 

Has any of the big three Husker men's sports exceeded anyone's expectations for the last 10-20 years?  Maybe the month, basically, of good basketball we got from Tim Miles in 2014 to get us into the NCAA tourney?  I'm just more disappointed in the athletic department as a whole.  How did this once proud athletic department get to this point?  This is just another year in the current dark ages of Husker athletics.  Hopefully we get to see the light again someday. 

Maybe its defeated resignation, but my health would suffer if I didn't "chill out" for just about every Husker sports season. 

Harvey Pearlman was a disaster for NU Athletics period.

Steve Petersen firing Frank

Shawn Eichorst was as bad as Mike Riley

We hired incompetent leaders and it leads to coaching issues

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am pretty chill all things considered.   Heck, I have only been waiting for a NCAA tournament win for seven + decades and have only been attending every home game for five + decades...so there's that!

But, without pushing the panic button, I would be a lot more chill if I saw exponential growth from this years team, solid fundamental basketball from this years team, consistency from this year's team and a winners attitude from this year's team.  Many are making an assumption that talent will improve next year, but I am not yet convinced of that occurring.   I truly, truly want to believe.  Heck, i have been accused by many of wearing rose colored glasses; however, let's look at the current list of new eligible players for next year with no names attached:

* a talented juco that will be on his fourth or fifth stop since leaving HS.  Can he stay on the floor?

* a juco who played okay at P5 school, but does he have the strength to play with B10 bigs on a night to night basis?

* a talented transfer on his third stop since HS who will not have played in a competitive game in two years?

* a transfer PF who struggled to find playing time at his previous school?

* a tall thin guard who is coming from a mid-major who really has not proven anything at this point.

Now, some or all of these guys could be stars.  Then again, no one really knows.  But all of that said, I wish I could be more chill, but goodness, we have a long way to go in order to move to wear we need to be in order to play with the big boys.

You’re not wrong but for the first time in our programs history we have someone at the helm that’s done it before. I’d venture to guess our current blueprint doesn’t vary too far from ISU under Hoiberg year 1-2. We can look that those players and be skeptical but Hoiberg has built a winner with players like that in the past. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle

On 2/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Yes, it has been a disaster for two decades. colhusker, you nailed it. If I were more paranoid I'd wonder about Dollar Bill's motivations (hiring Anderson, then leaving for A & M and hiring a good coach). And why Nee got lazy is beyond me. Making hundreds of thousands (then) per year and only having to satisfy minimal expectations really caused me to abandon support for Nee. And lastly, Osborne's slavishness to a lifelong subordinate was myopic at best- in one of my darker imaginings I wondered if he chose his successor in order to look loyal, why ensuring maximum contrast to his (Osborne's greatness).... That was the near consensus at the U of I when legendary football coach F. Evashevskie strong-armed the athletic dept. to hire his successor- it is possible.

Whatever the reason, NU stinks in the big three men's sports and has for ages.

I do think Hoiberg's brilliance makes it likely NU will become relevant nationally- football seems lost forever and baseball will prove too hard to get recruits consistently to come to a place with shit- weather unless the coach is world-class (as Van Horn was). What is good is that if nothing happens and NU remains a perennial loser in all the sports it doesn't matter. 

This “20 years of Disaster” has become an oft-repeated narrative based on generalities & wild assumptions. Rather than pick it apart point by point (which I could) I’ll just say with Hoiberg/Frost/Bolt in charge, I have confidence in where we’re headed...