Chill Out

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

ishment it is that Coach Hoiberg has even managed to be in some games that we've been in? His 5-out style puts dudes on ice-skates and forces your hand from a line-up perspective. Have I had some huge disagreements

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

to keep Coach Hoiberg around, and these guys (recruits included) all stay around - there's some

Great post. I agree. Coach Hoiberg is the only great coach NU has ever had, and Abdelmassih the only great recruiter (Nee was quite good for a time). This "lost season" is/was a preparation for the future (establishing a style that can demonstrate their commitment to running Hoiberg's modern system). They need PG Whitt, C Sanogo, and someone else to round out the roster. I think two guys will defect. By the way, what happened to Marial Mading (team mate of Mayen's)? Also, what about Zach Clemence, the top 30 big man? He still is listed as leaning toward NU.

Edited by Husker Hoops Penitent

I thought we had a chance to approach 15 wins before Stevenson was ruled ineligible. 

We are probably just outta gas now and the loosing streak has gotta be weighing on them. Not to mention we have 3 or 4 of the top 5 guys in the big ten in minutes played? 

The perimeter/ 3 point defense has become a bit of a concern the last few weeks but some of that has to do w constant double teams in the post

Who's not chill?

Seriously, I think HHC has been the most laid-back, chill place it's ever been during a season this year.  It's positively frosty (pardon the pun, I guess) on HHC and really across all social media.

Hell, @Norm Peterson has gone on a well-deserved sabbatical.  I think we're all just taking time to re-focus our energies into personal growth and reflection.  It's been kind of a refreshing season in a way.  At least from my perspective.

B-Town, I agree about the impact of Stevenson. I knew the season was lost when the shit-heads at the NCAA squashed his appeal. (That's why they call them the NCAA!)

Anyway, next year should see radically diff. results. I think as it stands, Mack, Allen, Banton, Stevenson and Cross start. However, if NU lands Sanogo, then he likely starts. If anyone doubts his ability watch him on youtube against top flight east coast talent. He recently dominated against his school's top rival. He had twenty-three rebounds in a game and was the deciding factor in their win. Incidentally, he plays with the top ranked recruit in the country, young Kuminga, who was likely the reason NU is currently involved with Sanogo, currently ranked in the top fifty.

NU won't land Kuminga but having watched their team play I am not sure the player rankings are reliable. Kuminga seemed good, Sanogo, dominant. Some of that is because a dominant big man usually has less competition than a dominant wing but, goodness- I was floored. Scuttlebutt has Sanogo leaning toward NU. I just wonder who else NU will get once the certain/likely attrition occurs off season.

Edited by Husker Hoops Penitent

47 minutes ago, 49r said:

Who's not chill?

Seriously, I think HHC has been the most laid-back, chill place it's ever been during a season this year.  It's positively frosty (pardon the pun, I guess) on HHC and really across all social media.

Hell, @Norm Peterson has gone on a well-deserved sabbatical.  I think we're all just taking time to re-focus our energies into personal growth and reflection.  It's been kind of a refreshing season in a way.  At least from my perspective.

Twitter was a little hot last night. Abdelmassih even had to clap back a bit... Some rumblings in the crowd also. And last, my mom sent me a very angry text. That means something. 

Ive heard a lot of rumblings as well from either very impatient fans or people who are just very ignorant about the make up of this team and how it was put together.

Teams who are replacing a few key pieces are given a month or so to gel and form team chemistry. Take that scenario and multiply by 100 and thats our team. Zero experience playing together. Zero experience playing in the offensive and defensive schemes. Roster full of freshmen and other players without P5 experience. Thin roster. Lacking size. Lacking shooting.

I dont mean to be rude (yes, that means i am about to say something rude), but if you thought this was going to be a good team you are either blindlessly optimistic or an idiot.

I think I predicted 12 or 13 wins and I feel like a moron.

I expected we could win 3-4 wins in conference max, but I didn't forsee the non-conference going quite that poorly. No big shocks here, but the predictable nature of losses (early 2nd half failures ... inability to finish around the rim) for the most part is frustrating. The returning pieces I like to stick around concern me more than I thought they would. We need some more mature leadership at key positions. I hope we find it with the 3 sitting out and the incoming recruits. Chemistry and character (not saying anything illegal or immoral is going on, just immaturity) has me concerned. This year was a pass either way however.

I admit to being vocally frustrated with a couple of players and their lack of improvement, especially the mental part of the game and the decisions they continue to make.

Oh..and the free throws. I don't care how bad a team it is, shooting this poorly from the line is inexcusable.

Outside of those things, I have remained pretty unemotional about the results this season. Disappointed, yes. But, I had pretty much written off the wins/losses early on.

As a side note, being "married" into a family of CU fans has made this season much more difficult to take than it should have been. It's a miracle I have not been institutionalized by this point.

Edited by demone

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Let’s all think back to the days of yesteryear, when we finished in 13th place & won NINETEEN games...

Four returning starters, one an NBA draft pick, another a returning all-conference player, another a five star recruit, the other a four year starting point guard; the fifth starter a guy Kansas tried to recruit.  Which added up to a 6-14 conference record.

Thought we would win only 1 Conf game so things are going about as expected. Only win I see on our remaining schedule is senior night.

I still cheer loudly and get upset after every loss but I knew full well going into this season how it was going to play out. 

I can't wait for the Conf Tournament where anything can happen.