Tony Gwynn Legacy Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Defense is horrible, I think the management of the pitching staff has been questionable at best. Why we pulling Gomes after 5 scoreless and 67 pitches?

Gomes pitching well was the highlight of the night.  I was getting worried about his mindset after the homerun last year.

Hopefully Nebraska is getting all of the early season blunders out of the way early. It's kind of tough to not be able to practice outdoors much for schools like NU in the early part of the year. Ironically it's almost 60 in Lincoln today, and evidently it was 76 a mere three years ago. Gotta get a dub, Big Red, sooner than later (same goes for Nebrasketball !!!)

I'm hoping we get this bullpen situation figured out, quickly.  Once we defined a weekend rotation, and our bullpen roles, we had a solid staff last year.  We had a solid three in Waldron, Fisher, and Eddins.  We had a good freshmen weekday starter who struggled with inconsistency.  Once we got Palkert, Shay, and Gomes as key members of our bullpen we had one of the better staffs in the Big 10.

We need to get length from our starters (I have no idea why quality starters have fallen out of favor in MLB for bullpen days).  Once we figured out our rotation, they averaged 6 innings a start.  That means we only needed on average 9 outs from the bullpen.  Palkert was a multi inning guy,.  If we can get 6 innings a start (no reason for that to not be the case, since we get 5 from starters now), we can get guys who maybe can dominate one inning, a good role.

Outside of last night our offense has been good.  Just need to get pitching and defense figured out.