Nebraska (16-10) vs Ohio St. (16-9) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Which coach is responsible for coaching offense?  4 years into this we need better coaching.  If an assistant is in charge of offense, Amy needs to find someone new.  If it's Amy, Moos needs to find someone new.  After 4 years our players shouldn't look like they were just now introduced to each other.  Effort isn't the problem (well, except for Hannah who looks like she checked out several games ago).  Talent isn't the problem.  That only leaves coaching.

I watch all the games and get so frustrated when I see our players consistently  make silly unforced errors, miss way too many bunny layups, not get rebounds, throw up wild shots, make dumb fouls, not hustle after loose balls, play lazy defense or play for the last shot of the quarter and end up taking a bad shot or none at all.  I try to rationalize that' it's not the coaches fault that the players do all the above. I'm pretty sure the coaches constantly teach the players to not do the above things. And I realize that all players whether they are 1 star or 5 stars  will make some of the above mistakes. So is  the mistakes the coaches fault or the players?  In my opinion it falls mostly on the coaches because they recruited these players.  If they recruited better players, then there wouldn't be as many mistakes being made.  So Coach Williams better start recruiting a lot better talented players than she has or she probably won't be around for very long.

She's in her 4th year and I'm not too excited about next years team.  So far I haven't seen much from Helms or Brady. I know I haven't seen much playing time from Helms but what I've seen  so far isn't encouraging. She doesn't even think about shooting or driving to the basket.  Pretty much just been catch and pass.  Brady hasn't shown too much either other than shooting 3's. Her ball handling skills is really week.  Bourne is the only freshman that I see some potential, although I'm not sure I like her shooting 3's.

I don't know much about the new girls coming in next year. I hope they shock me in how good they are.  I do wish Coach Williams had a solid post player that could score and rebound.  Like the men's team, I'm ready for season to end because they are so frustrating to watch.

As fans we are disappointed or maybe frustrated with the performance on the court. I just think we could do so much more. It is like we just can get timing down. Almost like we are a step or second slow on a drive or a pass and instead of a open look we have a contested shot or the pass gets stolen. For me it is like the coaches has no answers to get this turned around.

9 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

In retrospect, I might have been too critical of this year’s squad.  The season has been a disappointment but maybe wholesale changes are not yet necessary.  I don’t see a huge step forward next season but the message has to be, we as fans, expect better.

I didn't find any of your comments too critical.  Most in this forum, love their Huskers and want the best for them.  Not sure anyone is satisfied with the results the last few years. Also, not sure, there is any evidence, the program is on the rise.   As you mention, we should expect better.

31 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

In retrospect, I might have been too critical of this year’s squad.  The season has been a disappointment but maybe wholesale changes are not yet necessary.  I don’t see a huge step forward next season but the message has to be, we as fans, expect better.

That’s the thing - I was expecting a solid team this season because we had our core returning and the sophomore class was more experienced and a solid class to begin with, plus the addition of Bourne and the other freshman.  We also had the European trip over the summer to help get a head start on things.  Why aren’t we in the top half of the conference looking at an NCAA bid?  

20 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

That’s the thing - I was expecting a solid team this season because we had our core returning and the sophomore class was more experienced and a solid class to begin with, plus the addition of Bourne and the other freshman.  We also had the European trip over the summer to help get a head start on things.  Why aren’t we in the top half of the conference looking at an NCAA bid?  

I would guess, ultimately, Amy is most accountable for the level of success the program achieves.

>Nebraska Women's Conference Basketball Stats-Comparing Assists and Turnovers this year so far for 16 games versus the 18 game conference season last year

2019-2020   16 games so far           16 games 2019-2020 so far         2018-2019 18 games-Season      
Player GP Points Rebounds STL BLK AST AST/G TO       AST AST/G TO  
AVG OFF DEF TOT AVG TO/GM   GP TO/GM
Whitish, Hannah 16 9.7 3 44 47 2.9 12 3 49 3.1 33 2.06 Whitish 18 77 4.28 50 2.78
Veerbeek, Ashtyn 16 6.1 12 42 54 3.4 10 5 11 0.7 17 1.06 Veerbeek 18 14 0.78 28 1.56
Mitchell, Grace 10 0 1 2 3 0.3 1 2 0 0 2   Mitchell 14 0   3 0.21
Mershon, Kayla 16 1 18 23 41 2.6 3 2 8 0.5 4   Mershon 18 18 1 10 0.56
Hudson, Kristian 8 0.4 1 2 3 0.4 1 0 2 0.3 3              
Helms, Makenzie 6 1 0 2 2 0.3 1 0 6 1 4              
Haiby, Sam 16 10.3 15 61 76 4.8 26 4 57 3.6 40 2.50 Haiby 18 44 2.44 31 1.72
Eliely, Nicea 16 8.5 23 34 57 3.6 14 6 36 2.3 29 1.81 Eliely 18 34 1.89 43 2.39
Cain, Kate 16 9.2 22 117 139 8.7 12 62 9 0.6 23 1.44 Cain 18 23 1.28 27 1.50
Brown, Leigha 16 12.8 10 45 55 3.4 8 2 32 2 33 2.06 Brown 18 29 1.61 19 1.06
Brady, Trinity 16 1.6 3 11 14 0.9 3 0 3 0.2 5              
Bourne, Isabelle 16 6.8 20 50 70 4.4 10 18 7 0.4 31 1.94            
                  220 13.75 241 15.06   Totals 264 14.67 264 14.67

231 OPP 192     Opp 241   289  
                    OP-TO/GM 12         OP-TO/GM 16.06  

Some people have expressed concerns over turnovers this year, which are up slightly at 15.06 a game average for 16 games thus far versus 14.67 average for 18 games last year.  The main 2  seniors show the following:  Whitish on average is down from 2.78 a game on average last year to 2.06 on average for 16 games this year.  Eliely is down from 2.39 last year to 1.81 a game so far this year.  Cain is about the same at 1.5 last year versus 1.44 this year.  Both Brown and Haiby are higher this year with Haiby at 2.5 a game versus 1.72 last year and Brown at 2.06 versus 1.06 last year.  Verbeek and Mershon are lower.  Bourne for this year has 1.94 turnovers a game on average.  A big factor is opponents  turnovers went from  16.06 per game last year to only 12 a games this year,  apparently reflecting some lower defensive ability for NE.

Assists per game on average are lower for Whitish; Verbeek; Mershon and Cain, while Haiby, Eliely and Brown are slightly higher.  Teamwise, assists are down on average nearly 1 a game to 13.75.

28 minutes ago, Redhac said:

Assists per game on average are lower for Whitish; Verbeek; Mershon and Cain, while Haiby, Eliely and Brown are slightly higher.  Teamwise, assists are down on average nearly 1 a game to 13.75.

I see your point but last year was not a good year to compare to.  Take a lookout the turnover average per game for us so far this year and we are in 13th place in league games at a negative 3.1 which is quite a bit worse then 12th Purdue at a negative 2.4.   A couple of less turnovers per game may have won us a few more games.  

What I don't see in these analysis (although very good to ponder)...is shooting percentages. I keep harping on them...but in almost every loss our percenatges are maybe 10 % lower than the winning team. The vast majority we win when shooting over 40%

Still have to believe that's at the heart of the problem of losing. (although there's other issues to obviously)....we need mobile and accurate shooters ...and be able to hit the bunnies in the paint...we miss way to many of every kind of shot. 

But...there's great effort coming from everyone on the roster. There is no doubt it's a super bunch of kids working hard. No head cases on the roster. Never was any doubt on any of these counts. 

Edited by redsteve