Kavas

Apparently done for the season with a hand injury. Very disappointing and I feel for the guy. When it happened, he did everything to stay in the game, had to be convinced to come out. 

Thanks for your hard work and dedication to the program, MK. Too bad this year didn’t workout like you imagined, but we are grateful for your contribution!

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Apparently done for the season with a hand injury. Very disappointing and I feel for the guy. When it happened, he did everything to stay in the game, had to be convinced to come out. 

Thanks for your hard work and dedication to the program, MK. Too bad this year didn’t workout like you imagined, but we are grateful for your contribution!

I will be the first to step up and say that I was pretty hard on Kavas this year.  Unfortunately, I expected more out of him in the beginning.  Whether those expectations were fair or not is up for debate.  I wanted him sat earlier this year, stated that he struggled doing the one job that he was brought here for, and like many, complained about his defense.

With that being said, I was very impressed with him the last few games.  He was coming on shooting the three, defense was better... not great, but better, and he was doing a nice job driving as well.  I am very sad to see his season and college career end in this way.  While I was hard on him early this year, he put his faith in my team.  As a grad transfer, he could have went anywhere he wanted.  He chose MY TEAM and for that I am thankful.  He fought as best as he could for MY TEAM and for that I am thankful.  

It can't be easy, knowing that this was it.  That this was his last shot in college.  Kavas-- Thank you for what you did for Nebraska basketball.  Thank you for choosing us, and thank you for giving it your all.  I know this season may not have worked out the way that you wanted, but know that you will forever be a Husker!

Here is a good article (but doesn't add much regarding the extent of his hand injury)

Thanks for all your efforts Matej!   :nod:  :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

"It is disappointing to see Matej's college career end because of an injury," Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg said. "Matej was one of the first players to commit to Nebraska when we started last spring. He believed he could help set the foundation for our program even though he had one season to play. Everyone in our program appreciates Matej, and we look forward to him having a full recovery and getting the opportunity to continue playing after college."

Kavas played in 22 games at Nebraska this season as a graduate transfer, averaging 5.3 points per game, as one of the Huskers' top scorers off the bench. He had seven double-figure performances in 2019-20, including a season-high 12 points on 4-of-5 shooting from 3-point range, against North Dakota.

Kavas had been playing some of his best basketball in recent games, averaging 8.3 ppg on 50 percent shooting in the three games prior to the Wisconsin game, including an 11-point effort off the bench against No. 9 Maryland in a 72-70 loss on Feb. 11.

https://huskers.com/news/2020/2/16/mens-basketball-injury-ends-kavas-career.aspx

Edited by Red Don

Sounds like he must have torn a ligament in his finger which will probably have to be re-attached and splinted for longer than our season will last. Bad luck for him and he would have contributed during the rest of our schedule. Should be no permanent physical problem though, and best of luck to him in the future.