GAME DAY THREAD NORTHWESTER VS HUSKERS 2-16-20

redsteve

2 hours ago, Red Don said:

As everyone has said, it is going to be a 'Tough' 'Tough' Game today.  But, coming off the come-back win vs Penn State, IF they Play like they did against DUKE, and IOWA (the 1st game) early in the season, we have a punchers chance.  Everyone likes to WIN, But , as @Actualfacts1 has suggested in a prior post, it might come down to "Do They HATE TO LOSE' More than they Like to Win?

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

Can We Stand up under the Pressure?

Apparently the answer is 'No.' 

Or at least, Not Yet Yes!

:Redface:

Edited by Red Don

No excuses for the loss....we missed some relatively easy shots sometimes in the second  half. The last play with a wide open  Kate passing to Verbeek....ouch. That wasn't the only ouch... but happened at crucial moment.  And turnovers were killers in the second.

Officials....we did get several "odd" calls. And many were against us. If it happens multiple times...,,like today...it does/can have an affect on the final result. We've talked about this numerous times.....still the same. How/why are so many inept officials calling major college basketball?..women's or otherwise.  ...inept at their job..  The charge against Bourne out front...bad call. The phantom foul called on Hanna (on a layup) when replay clearly showed no contact.

We had our chance to win for sure. This season has collapsed under Coach Amy....I would have done some things differently but doesn't matter what I think anyway.

Edited by redsteve

17 minutes ago, redsteve said:

No excuses for the loss....we missed some relatively easy shots sometimes in the second  half. The last play with a wide open  Kate passing to Verbeek....ouch. That wasn't the only ouch... but happened at crucial moment.  And turnovers were killers in the second.

Officials....we did get several "odd" calls. And many were against us. If it happens multiple times...,,like today...it does/can have an affect on the final result. We've talked about this numerous times.....still the same. How/why are so many inept officials calling major college basketball?..women's or otherwise.  ...inept at their job..  The charge against Bourne out front...bad call. The phantom foul called on Hanna (on a layup) when replay clearly showed no contact.

We had our chance to win for sure. This season has collapsed under Coach Amy....I would have done some things differently but doesn't matter what I think anyway.

do you think things are "heating" up? if you know what i mean...

Coach should be safe but she needs to do a thorough self-evaluation, staff evaluation and recruiting evaluation.  Fans of this program deserve to see better results.  Frankly, with Hannah and Nicea departing, I don’t see a step up next year.  We certainly have not improved our B1G standing over last season.

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

do you think things are "heating" up? if you know what i mean...

I know what you mean. But no...wouldn't go that far....there's a lot of games left to make a turnaround. 

After the season, if things don't improve, or even if they do ...there may be some considerations as too how things are done, staffing, recruiting, etc etc.  Moos is known to get involved if he chooses. He' certainly gives the coaches latitude in fixing their issues though. Feel like Coach Amy has a pretty good grasp on what she's doing. Moos could offer a little bit of "encouragement" if he see's fit after the season, like he does in all sports. Some discussion on fixes maybe? That's his deal...what he gets paid for ....

He certainly has cleaned house in other sports as we all know. But just don't think we're at that point in women's BBall. Coach is a good representative for NU, the kids seem to like her.....the kind of stuff we want.

We'll see after the season. Some small things can make big differences.

Edited by redsteve

55 minutes ago, redsteve said:

We'll see after the season. Some small things can make big differences.

For two seasons now we have been in almost every ballgame.  We are so close to taking that next step but 4 years of having too many turnovers and giving up way too many offensive rebounds just doesn't seem to get fixed.  Coach talks about it but we need a big improvement in those two areas.  The rest seems to be taken care of.

51 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

do we see more of Helms this season? i know there has been discussion of rs (including from me). i have a hunch fans continue to see sightings of her on the court no matter how limited. just going by it has never been brought up during the "matt and amy" hour (unless i missed it). 

I have a question.   If a player redshirts, will they be on scholarship the entire time?  I know, we've only had a small sample of her play, but I'm not sure we want to tie up her scholarship for five years.  I was a little disappointed in her play yesterday.  2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 5 minutes of play, isn't something you need from a point guard.  Again, small sampling, so this is not an informed critique.  

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

I have a question.   If a player redshirts, will they be on scholarship the entire time?  I know, we've only had a small sample of her play, but I'm not sure we want to tie up her scholarship for five years.  I was a little disappointed in her play yesterday.  2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 5 minutes of play, isn't something you need from a point guard.  Again, small sampling, so this is not an informed critique.  

yes. still counts towards your scholarship limit.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

She had three assists.

So being able to only listen to the last bit of this game, and reading the comments here it sounds like a broken record. I think a lot of it can go back to player leadership, and what is coming from our coaches. We just do not have great leadership on the floor. It has been talked about Hannah, or Nicea wanting the ball in their hands when the game is on the line and I just do not see that. I think we have had it here before. Kelsey, Hopper, Lindsey, Rachel all wanted it in their hands when the game was on the line. Whether is was to take the shot or pass it to an open player. Most times they were right in the middle of it. I do not know how or when our team captains are chosen but if I was Amy I would choose them during the off season  and let them take ownership at that time. With only one senior next year in Kate who by the way I love seeing her show some attitude on the court maybe Taylor and Leigha could join her as captains. Spend time with them in the off season talking about how they have finished games that last two seasons. Really embrace the mental side of the game. Have them set the tone in the off season. It was asked earlier if the seats on Amy and the staff maybe heating up? I think they should be. If Moos are another assoc. AD will say anything I am not sure but it should be an internal thing for Amy. I think this is a critical point for her at NE. You need to start making the big dance if you want to get the type of kids here that you need. Then start to make it into the top 25 most years. I really am expecting a flat finish for the group. Maybe another win before we enter the B1G tourney. Maybe a win  there and then a quick exit for the WNIT which I think we will get an invite to. I hope I am wrong about the finish to this year but it really is trending south. 

7 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

So being able to only listen to the last bit of this game, and reading the comments here it sounds like a broken record. I think a lot of it can go back to player leadership, and what is coming from our coaches. We just do not have great leadership on the floor. It has been talked about Hannah, or Nicea wanting the ball in their hands when the game is on the line and I just do not see that. 

The only way I want to see the ball in Hannah's hands at the end, is if she comes free from a screen, and has an open shot.  She has not shown the ability to create her own shot.  Brown and Haiby, in my opinion, are our best bets to create a shot, and possibly make it, or create foul shots.  Wanting the ball, and being the best option for the team, are not always the same.  Not sure what you are looking for in leadership.  Effort seems to be there.  Execution, is another story (a shared concern between staff and players).

Romeo wanted to take those shots or a game winner if you will. When all the stuff was coming down about Connie, Romeo was there taking a leadership role in the papers. Granted she ended up leaving but she was not afraid to speak up. Leaders are those players that may call a players only meeting when things are not going the right direction. Or when a player(s) step outside what is expected of them. It can be more meaningful coming from a peer than a coach sometimes. Maybe if we had that a couple of years ago a player would not had been rumored to be making midnight runs for Big Mac meals. 

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Connie got Romeo shots.  Shooters need to shoot.

Didn't hurt that Theriot was running point and Shepard was in the paint.  Not sure it is that easy to free up Hannah.  I'm sure she wants the ball, and is not afraid to take the shot.  Making it happen, is another story.  Leadership is a 24/7 thing, not just a 2 hour game.  I have no reason to think our seniors aren't doing everything they're asked to do.   I remember Kissinger saying something about; not getting to take the court with Hannah again, was the hardest part of ending her season.  Not sure turnovers, giving up offensive rebounds, handling a press, missing layups, etc. can be blamed on lack of senior leadership.  Who were the seniors last year to blame?  The year before?   Now Coaching?  Wouldn't argue with that.

Edited by 12dozen

Didn't hurt that Theriot was running point and Shepard was in the paint.  Not sure it is that easy to free up Hannah.  I'm sure she wants the ball, and is not afraid to take the shot.  Making it happen, is another story.  Leadership is a 24/7 thing, not just a 2 hour game.  I have no reason to think our seniors aren't doing everything they're asked to do.   I remember Kissinger saying something about; not getting to take the court with Hannah again, was the hardest part of ending her season.  Not sure turnovers, giving up offensive rebounds, handling a press, missing layups, etc. can be blamed on lack of senior leadership.  Who were the seniors last year to blame?  The year before?   Now Coaching?  Wouldn't argue with that.
seems to me like the men's and women's basketball team has some of the same issues maybe they could get that psychologists that Nebraska has to maybe turn some of that around

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

seems to me like the men's and women's basketball team has some of the same issues maybe they could get that psychologists that Nebraska has to maybe turn some of that around

If you want to develop leadership which I agree we need to do,  Amy just needs to spend time with the best volleyball coach in the nation who year after year develops great leaders.  John Cook is nearby.  

Romeo was a very goood player and shooter and nice kid.  She was NOT a leader at all.  She was quoted in the paper some because she scored a lot so they interviewed her — ironically this thread is using the team from romeos soph year as the model of what we want why complaining about this years team and yet the team from romeos soph year barely made the WNIT and lost to northern Iowa at home in the first round if I recall   They had about the same record and results as the current team — the post mentioning how Kelsey hooper Moore could close out games at the end doesn’t factor in that all 3 were WNBA kids. We don’t have one currently. Harder to realistically except same outcome when kids put in that same situation are not WNBA talents. Rather they are Just good quality big 10 players trying their hardest.  — cook is an amazing coach. But his program  talent wise is the volleyball equivalent of  UCONN.  Our b-ball roster doesn’t have  nearly the talent advantage  to other bcs schools as our volleyball roster does — we can all agree we need to get better and do better. We aren’t that far off and I am sure nobody on this board wants it fixed as badly as the staff or players.  —-we played in the ncaa tourney 23 months ago (2 seasons ago).  Yeah it's looking like chances are not good this year and everybody wants back to the ncaas. . But it’s not like it has been a 5 year drought and it’s certaibly not like we have dipped below 500 or are getting thumped.  

Edited by kansashusker

6 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Romeo was a very goood player and shooter and nice kid.  She was NOT a leader at all.  She was quoted in the paper some because she scored a lot so they interviewed her — ironically this thread is using the team from romeos soph year as the model of what we want why complaining about this years team and yet the team from romeos soph year barely made the WNIT and lost to northern Iowa at home in the first round if I recall   They had about the same record and results as the current team — the post mentioning how Kelsey hooper Moore could close out games at the end doesn’t factor in that all 3 were WNBA kids. We don’t have one currently. Harder to realistically except same outcome when kids put in that same situation are not WNBA talents. Rather they are Just good quality big 10 players trying their hardest.  — cook is an amazing coach. But his program  talent wise is the volleyball equivalent of  UCONN.  Our b-ball roster doesn’t have  nearly the talent advantage  to other bcs schools as our volleyball roster does — we can all agree we need to get better and do better. We aren’t that far off and I am sure nobody on this board wants it fixed as badly as the staff or players.  —-we played in the ncaa tourney 23 months ago (2 seasons ago).  Yeah it's looking like chances are not good this year and everybody wants back to the ncaas. . But it’s not like it has been a 5 year drought and it’s certaibly not like we have dipped below 500 or are getting thumped.  

i also was going to mention that from watching her games and reading the articles, Romeo was not a leader. she was somewhat introverted. i think she tried to avoid any media. you really didn't see a lot of emotion from her. she would drop a three and if there was a timeout for whatever reason she may come to the huddle with a big smile on her face---but, that seemed to be the extent of it. wouldn't surprise me if Hoiberg and Williams have had a few minutes together. if not now (because they both are kinda busy at this time)---bet they rap a bit after the seasons are over. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

7 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Agree, comparisons to our volleyball program, is not realistic. Also agree, Romeo was a terrific player. That does not automatically qualify her as a leader.  With regard to the state of our basketball program, I do believe this coaching staff needs to be held to a high standard. You mention being unfair to compare current players to former stars that achieved WNBA status. I agree.  But, why don't we have that caliber player in our program?  You talk of the desire and effort of this staff, yet I'm not sure we have much to show for it. You mention it not being like we've dipped below 500 and are getting thumped.  I agree on the thumped part.  Overall, Amy's record has dipped below 500.  If not for the cupcake schedule this year, it might be worse.

The sky is not falling. We have talent on the roster. But again, I'm not giving an automatic passing grade to the staff. Are players improving year to year? Are we addressing recurring short comings on the court? Are we upgrading talent to the level we can compete for league championships?  I like Amy.  She represents our University with extreme class.  But, there are question marks.  Is this a Power 5 staff?  Time will tell.  I hope you are right, and we aren't far off.

8 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Please understand at the outset that I have great respect for your views, KH.     You have forgotten more about women's basketball then I will ever know. 

But in fairness, in the year you speak of, we lost our 40 minute a game point guard to a season ending injury.  We weren't an NIT level program at that time.   We were close to elite, if not elite.   That was our BAD year.   If you want to have a 5 year lens, the program is now considerably worse over the last 5 years than the 5 before.   If the season  finishes out the way it has been going, I think calling it a 5 year drought is not unfair.   Pretty damn accurate based on results and talent level in the program.

And now, we certainly have dropped well below .500  in league games.  We pretty much schedule a .500 season.     I don't think being concerned with being toward the bottom of the league means a fan is being overly critical.

But I don't look at just one year.  Where's the program at in year 4 of this staff?   How's the talent level and coaching?     Hopefully just fine.   But I was concerned when we blew it up that Eichorst hired a coach who had hardly any experience at a power 5 school.  Who then hired assistants who had never spent one day coaching and recruiting at the power 5 level.   Collectively zero days!    Our program then was at the level that it cold have hired someone proven.   A much better job than our men's program.   For whatever reason, Shawn blew it up over his goofy world view and took a huge flier on this group.   The verdict is still out.  Hopefully time will prove it to be a good hire.   But it's hard to understand how any unbiased observer could say things are going swimmingly in year 4.  If we don't have any WNBA talents, why?  We had them for years.   When you say we don't have one NBA player in year 4, how is that not an indictment on recruiting?  Are we "not that far off", or are we going the other direction?     Time will tell.    We could still go on a run this year and make the postseason.  But if not, we're looking at staying home 2 years in a row, with 1 bid in 4 seasons, still no point guard, and getting out-recruited by other Big 10 teams, and most decidedly by  Iowa. 

From my perspective, posters on here have been pretty respectful.   Everyone is still hoping the team improves and it all turns out fine.  The relatively mild criticisms are not out of line and no one has earned a lecture.    Except Kearney Man, but he is gone.  🙂

Edited by HB