Penn St. (7-17) (1-12) vs. Nebraska (15-9) (5-8) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

12 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So what do you people think about Helms? not much to guage but seems to command the floor well.

It seems like that's part of our issues...getting ball movement and creating offensive flow. Need  Point's that can do that. ....Sam gets it...maybe Helms is the new sleeper at the point.

Shooting:   39% 1st qtr, 28% 2nd qtr.....is it any surprise we struggle?  Came out of the chute poorly again. Ended up at about 47% for the game.

Thankfully we recovered and turned it up after the half.....against good teams we can't survive that way...as we know. We were a different team in the 3rd. The mad blocking team..where has that been? ..great fun !

The Inconsistencies drive me nuts, but the effort was really there tonight. Verbeek had a nice game, fought hard, seemed like her old self.  Issie just continues to get better and better.

NIcea was quiet in her own way doing her thing.... is just the rock of this team. Artifacts...anyway Nicea has a younger sister? or maybe NIcea can wear a disguise next year and come back?

CONGRATS Kate !!!

Edited by redsteve

Overall very good effort last night.  Elated that the ladies got the W.  I like esp. after the 1st timeout Amy called that they came out with more energy and intensity.  Would have been great to see at the start, but I don't think it was lack of effort just needed to find that other gear.  The two teams switched roles in the 2nd half; PSU got colder but NU started hitting their shots, kept up the hustle and intensity (esp. on D), and pulled away.  Enjoying it now knowing that Sun will be very tough, but that's for later.  I know they won't quit.  GBR!!

18 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So what do you people thinkabout Helms? not much to guage but seems to command the floor well.

really happy for her that she is able to contribute lately! if you watch her while she is on the bench, she is a huge cheerleader for the 5 on the court! gotta be a huge boost for her mentally, too. i only listened on the radio, but, saw her highlight play. i forgot just how small she is. i really hope she continues to come along. never hurts to add another dimension😉

Helms seems to be able to enter the ball to the post, no small accomplishment on our team.  Looking back on all the missed scoring opportunities we had around the basket, it’s fortunate that we pulled away.  

Question, are we going to be content with a sub .500 conference record?

It was a good win against PSU.   Field goal percentage was 0.466 with 6 for 12 shooting on 3 pointers.  However, this team continues to miss too many lay up shots!!!!!  Per the play by play analysis there were 2 made lay ups in the first quarter and 3 missed;  no lay ups made in the second quarter and 3 missed;  1 lay up in the 3rd quarter and 2 missed; and 3 made lay ups in the 4th quarter and 6 missed.  So for the game 6 lay ups were made and 14 missed for a 30% shooting percentage on lay ups!!!!!  This is agonizing!!!!!  This level of lay up shooting will not bode well going forward!!!!    Likely a sub 0.500 conference record!