uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 24 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

2 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

FWIW, cam has really hurt his pro prospects these last few games. his efficiency rating has dropped from 18.5 to 16.3 which is a huge drop for just 3 games. 

college point guards that get drafted typically have an efficiency rating of 20+. ja morant was 30 which is basically the highest for a PG.

unless cam is planning to play in g-league or overseas, i would expect he'll be back next year.

Cam is a very good player for us, long ways to go before he would be able to even crack an NBA roster much less an NBA rotation 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:12 AM, basketballjones said:

At some point we're going to have to recognize that 3 points are worth more than 2 points, and we can't keep helping on the post or full helping on drives in crunch time. We give up back-breaking 3's during stretches and runs that just kill us. 

Maryland 68

NU 64

They run some ball screen stuff, and we completely over help on the roll man and on the driver. Instead of giving up a tough two, we give up a wide open kick out 3 to make it 71-64. Kevin Cross hits a 3, making it 67-71. So still a two possession ball game when it could be a one possession ball game. You can't give up open 3's in crunch time. I'm sorry, I just fundamentally disagree with that strategy. Switch everything and force tough shots at the rim without fouling. 3's break your back. 

Just looking at stats, our defensive game plan is okay.  In conference games only, we are 4th in the Big 10 in 3 point percentage defense.  Yet, we are last in the Big 10 in 2 point percentage defense.  Teams attempt 64 shots per game.  If they try 32 2's and 32 3's, that means they make 10 3's and 18 2's. (30 points from 3 and 36 from 2)

12 hours ago, brfrad said:

Just looking at stats, our defensive game plan is okay.  In conference games only, we are 4th in the Big 10 in 3 point percentage defense.  Yet, we are last in the Big 10 in 2 point percentage defense.  Teams attempt 64 shots per game.  If they try 32 2's and 32 3's, that means they make 10 3's and 18 2's. (30 points from 3 and 36 from 2)

I'm talking about the end of the game, in crunch time - you cannot give up open 3's. We do it all the time. You can live with a tough lay-up, you cannot live with 3's.