uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 24 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

At some point we're going to have to recognize that 3 points are worth more than 2 points, and we can't keep helping on the post or full helping on drives in crunch time. We give up back-breaking 3's during stretches and runs that just kill us. 

Maryland 68

NU 64

They run some ball screen stuff, and we completely over help on the roll man and on the driver. Instead of giving up a tough two, we give up a wide open kick out 3 to make it 71-64. Kevin Cross hits a 3, making it 67-71. So still a two possession ball game when it could be a one possession ball game. You can't give up open 3's in crunch time. I'm sorry, I just fundamentally disagree with that strategy. Switch everything and force tough shots at the rim without fouling. 3's break your back. 

11 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

probably best effort of the year, but we still can't make 3s which is baffling because this whole team was built to make 3s. 

I don’t think this is true. Outside of Kavas, who has turned out to be a bust nobody else on the team had a reputation of being a great shooter. 

This team was literally scrapped together because we had to put a team together. But, I think we landed some good parts for the future. Cam Mack has turned in to a very good distributor. You can see why Cross and Evan were wanted by the staff.  And even Thor wasn’t really thought of as a great shooter before the season started. 

Notes from UNL

• Nebraska fell to Maryland 72-70, as the Terrapins remained perfect at home this season (14-0).  The two-point margin marked the seventh time in the 10 all-time meetings between Nebraska and Maryland that the game has been decided by five or fewer points.
  • The Huskers have played four games at the XFINITY Center, with the four games decided by a total of 10 points, including three straight games by two points.
  • Nebraska went 7-of-33 from the 3-point line in tonight’s game. With the seven makes, the Huskers have made 200 3-pointers this season, becoming the 10th team in school history to make 200 3-pointers in a season.
  • With the season-high 33 3-point attempts, the Huskers have shot 611 3-pointers this year, becoming the seventh team in school history to attempt 600 3-pointers in a season.
  • Haanif Cheatham, who was questionable for the game after suffering an injury Saturday at Iowa, scored a game-high 20 points, including 18 in the second half. His 21 points were his second-highest total in Big Ten play and marked his third 20-point game this season.
  • Matej Kavas scored 11 points, marking his first career Big Ten Conference game in double figures. It was his first double-figure effort since Dec. 29.
  • Cam Mack dished out eight assists in the game to give him 156 assists this season. He passed Tyronn Lue (152) to move into fifth place on Nebraska’s single-season assists list, while becoming only the fourth Husker to record 150 assists in a season.
  • Freshman Kevin Cross made his first career start as Nebraska utilized its sixth different starting lineup this season. Cross became the third true freshman to start for the Huskers this season, joining Charlie Easley and Yvan Ouedraogo.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

At some point we're going to have to recognize that 3 points are worth more than 2 points, and we can't keep helping on the post or full helping on drives in crunch time. We give up back-breaking 3's during stretches and runs that just kill us. 

Maryland 68

NU 64

They run some ball screen stuff, and we completely over help on the roll man and on the driver. Instead of giving up a tough two, we give up a wide open kick out 3 to make it 71-64. Kevin Cross hits a 3, making it 67-71. So still a two possession ball game when it could be a one possession ball game. You can't give up open 3's in crunch time. I'm sorry, I just fundamentally disagree with that strategy. Switch everything and force tough shots at the rim without fouling. 3's break your back. 

We play Wisconsin on Saturday

Capture.JPG

3 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

On Cross’s fourth foul, it looked like the Maryland player intentionally shoved his shoulder into Cross’s midsection.  Yet the TV announcers were adamant that it was a foul by Cross that “will be called every time.”  
Can anyone clarify this?

Cross is running down the court to set a pick on Cowan and doesn't get set.

Mack doesn't give him time to set up before he starts to go around

Cowan is extremely savvy so in realtime he pretends to get blown up by Cross

Seems like something that gets called for a flop by the right ref early in the season

30 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

On Cross’s fourth foul, it looked like the Maryland player intentionally shoved his shoulder into Cross’s midsection.  Yet the TV announcers were adamant that it was a foul by Cross that “will be called every time.”  
Can anyone clarify this?

cross.JPG

Cowan sees Mack looking at Cross.  Mack knows what Cross is going to do and Cowan figures out what Mack and Cross are going to do.

cross2.JPG

This is the point where Cowan decides that he's going to not let Cross get to that full stop to set the pick and very much sells it like he's been blown up

Cross was basically like me the first time I found out that if I don't shut my sprinkler system off in the winter it can freeze and why didn't anyone tell me about this?!?!?

14 hours ago, REDZONEDAN said:

MVP goes to the jackass that threw the paper airplane on the court.  Changed the momentum of the game in my opinion.

Too bad a Husker fan didn't make one & throw another one out on the court to get the technical foul on Maryland.  I'm kidding, sort of.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Can anyone clarify this?

Unfortunately, Cowen did this multiple times in the game (the savvy drawing of a foul).  It drove me crazy, but that's probably because he was in yellow.  In this instance, Cam has to let Cross get set.  It was Cam starting his drive that basically led to the foul call.  While it was partly the fault of Cowen and him playing it up a little bit, it wasn't any of Cross' fault.  Tecnically, Cross was still moving and therefore impeded the defender.  However, it was Cowen who initiated that contact... for the most part which is why it drove me crazy.

This is my first year coaching basketball. I coach a 5th grade boys basketball intramural team for our elementary school. It is an eight week season and every team gets to play 5 games. We won our first game of the season last night 14-10 and boy was it an awesome experience for those kids. Many of which are completely new to basketball or team sports in general. 

Anyway, I got home to watch the second half and my gf says youre going to ruin your good mood by watching Nebrasketball!!! But it was quite the opposite, they played lights out in the second half. Very pleased with the game overall. 

Play like that at home against Wisconsin and we will very much so have a chance to win. GBR

1 hour ago, dskurz said:

Too bad a Husker fan didn't make one & throw another one out on the court to get the technical foul on Maryland.  I'm kidding, sort of.

I was thinking that, too, during the action. That stupid paper airplane incident changed the complexion of the game. Maryland went on a little run immediately following.

55 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Unfortunately, Cowen did this multiple times in the game (the savvy drawing of a foul).  It drove me crazy, but that's probably because he was in yellow.  In this instance, Cam has to let Cross get set.  It was Cam starting his drive that basically led to the foul call.  While it was partly the fault of Cowen and him playing it up a little bit, it wasn't any of Cross' fault.  Tecnically, Cross was still moving and therefore impeded the defender.  However, it was Cowen who initiated that contact... for the most part which is why it drove me crazy.

Cowan drew a so-called foul on Akol Arop right before the half. I personally didn't see a foul as Arop sidestepped the situation. Indubitably, it was on a three in which Cowan made all 3 FTs. Ughh.

45 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Cowan drew a so-called foul on Akol Arop right before the half. I personally didn't see a foul as Arop sidestepped the situation. Indubitably, it was on a three in which Cowan made all 3 FTs. Ughh.

In real time, i thought Arop definitely fouled him.  In that situation, Arop needs to have a better basketball IQ.  If you are going to jump at all, do so vertically.  His side step or lunge towards Cowan gave Cowan the opportunity to make a heady basketball play where he likely helped initiate the contact as well.  Arop is a freshman and will learn from it.  I can't fault Cowan for the foul at the end of the half or the foul on Cross on the moving screen.  By the letter of the law, he definitely was moving because Cam didn't let the play develop.  Cowan is a veteran Senior guard that made two savvy, high IQ basketball plays and I'll just tip my hat to him and hope we develop those players in the future as well.

6 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

In real time, i thought Arop definitely fouled him.  In that situation, Arop needs to have a better basketball IQ.  If you are going to jump at all, do so vertically.  His side step or lunge towards Cowan gave Cowan the opportunity to make a heady basketball play where he likely helped initiate the contact as well.  Arop is a freshman and will learn from it.  I can't fault Cowan for the foul at the end of the half or the foul on Cross on the moving screen.  By the letter of the law, he definitely was moving because Cam didn't let the play develop.  Cowan is a veteran Senior guard that made two savvy, high IQ basketball plays and I'll just tip my hat to him and hope we develop those players in the future as well.

I know it's savvy, I just didn't think Arop actually created a foul in the situation. But I do see how a ref will call that kind of stuff. Cowan got Haanif when it was clear that Cheatham hacked him. Made 5 of 6 total FTs and seemed to have cost NU the game, really.

Edited by AuroranHusker

FWIW, cam has really hurt his pro prospects these last few games. his efficiency rating has dropped from 18.5 to 16.3 which is a huge drop for just 3 games. 

college point guards that get drafted typically have an efficiency rating of 20+. ja morant was 30 which is basically the highest for a PG.

unless cam is planning to play in g-league or overseas, i would expect he'll be back next year.

Edited by FredsSlacks

6 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Except for the last second, I was very impressed with Arop on that play.  I was also impressed with him during the press.  He could end up being a pretty special defender. 

25 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

FWIW, cam has really hurt his pro prospects these last few games. his efficiency rating has dropped from 18.5 to 16.3 which is a huge drop for just 3 games. 

college point guards that get drafted typically have an efficiency rating of 20+. ja morant was 30 which is basically the highest for a PG.

unless cam is planning to play in g-league or overseas, i would expect he'll be back next year.

I hope Cam stays, he has a lot to work on but if he does he’ll get a shot.

Defense

consistent shooting, especially FTs

Finishing strong at the rim. That will get much tougher in NBA

Ball handling, he is good but if he would improve to above average with his athleticism no one will stay in front of him.