2020 G Transfer - Kobe King - Signed

jayschool

The kid seems talented and I can certainly be on board considering who else was recruiting him according to Robin Washut....Gonzaga, Xavier, UNLV.  That's a pretty impressive short list.

Some concerns...At 67% from the line, he would be one of our better free throw shooters this year.  Sigh.  He also shot only 25% from three year year.  Sigh again.  BUT, hopefully he can finish better than 40% of his shots within 3 feet because it feels like we are that horrible at layups this year even though I do not have the empirical data to back that up!

image.png

12 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

A great addition, but it makes me wonder about Sanogo and Whitt. Any guesses, fellow Huskers?

Depends on what year they're going to college. Both are 2021 that could reclassify into 2020.

Not sure Sanogo fits all that well here next year because then you have 3 guys who can't shoot 3s for one spot on a team that doesn't foul a ton and might opt to play small ball at times. Sanogo looks solid but he doesn't look like he's walking in and starting over Yvan/Walker good.  Would rather see him with another year or else there is always someone else.

Whitt I guess depends on whether or what we think will happen with Mack, how we feel about Banton, and what are the chances with Sallis. I don't think we can have too many PGs and if we think Whitt can fit in with what we're trying to do here it seems like you might ask someone to leave if it's 2020 or nothing.

Thanks for the response. I see the sense in your positions. Sanogo might not be the type we associate w/ Hoiberg's style, however, after being humiliated all season long (or since Nee's tenure) our production in the paint has been staggering in its ineptitude. 

It is hard not to salivate when a player this dominant down low- and against top-flight talent, expresses strong interest in NU. We (fans) have also been so accustomed to pathetic inside play that it gains an allure almost irresistible. Moreover, the staff is really taken with him. If Sanogo doesn't move up a year he will likely be a top five center in his class- needless to say that it isn't commonplace in NU history.

As for Whitt, you are right about it being contingent upon what Mack does/how Banton performs. That said, I don't think NU could not ask one of the likely bench players to leave if it means not landing what many coaches including defending National Champion Coach Bennett of UVA calls the best passing guard in the high school ranks. He could learn under a  probable, future NBA starter (Mack) for one year and then run an excellent team for three years. Speaking of defections/transfers, I am thinking a minimum of two will leave, and possibly three, thus allowing Hoiberg to have a roster built to his specifications. It may be that if the newest addition (King) plays next year, that there may not be any sit-out transfers.                                        

As for Sallis, this is an historical opportunity for Hoiberg/Abdelmassih to catch lightning in a bottle. I know it is hard to out-recruit KU but should he land Sallis and then develop him into a player as productive as one would hope a five-star player to be, then the whole program gains a momentum that can create the trajectory needed to be a national contender for years.

I want to say I really appreciate the generous feedback from so many of you on this board. It is more than just idle fun to bat around these silly musings of one man about something I partially understand, yet imbue with so much (guarded) optimism and even hope! Somewhere along the line I foolishly invested far too much importance into something in which I have no effect, and now I find myself looking for a payoff which can justify the decades of futility.

But as the Bible so perfectly states: without a vision the people perish. 

6 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

It is hard not to salivate when a player this dominant down low- and against top-flight talent, expresses strong interest in NU. We (fans) have also been so accustomed to pathetic inside play that it gains an allure almost irresistible. Moreover, the staff is really taken with him. If Sanogo doesn't move up a year he will likely be a top five center in his class- needless to say that it isn't commonplace in NU history.

To me with us bringing in Walker, Mayan, Stevenson and Banton next year we are adding the length we need in 2020. 

I'm probably underrating Sanogo because most of the clips I've watched seems under the rim. He is current ranked as the 9th best center on Rivals for 2021.

We are also in on Frank Anselem and Wilhelm Breidenbach for that year and then transfer SZN starts in about a month. At the end of the day I think we're limited for spots we can or will fill with guys who don't shoot from outside and there are no end to dudes out there. We'll see how it works out.

I dont hate the addition because the kid clearly has talent. 

Like others, I am very confused with the depth chart for this team next year. 

We have a log jam of guys at the 2/3 and a lot of them are new faces(or sat out this year).

My assumption is Fred likes the rebounding of Walker and feels like the hybrid guys like Stevenson and Banton can also rebound which allows us to run more of a guard heavy lineup.

21 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

But in all seriousness he looks like the answer to the question of 'what would you get if Dachon Burke put on 25# of muscle'

After reading more about King I think he's more Cheatham than Burke in terms of comparison to current Huskers

King has an excellent ability to finish at the rim and score in isolation.  He's a different cat because he's a guard with a post game.  Fred will have fun with him.  It'll be a lot of beef at the 2-3 between him and Teddy.  I also think he'll return to being a serviceable three point shooter under Fred's tutelage.  

As for the logjam, I would say it's best we get used to them under the Hoiberg staff.  They are going to try and update roster talent every single year whether they have "room" or not.  I promise.  

• 1 month later...