Jump to content
uneblinstu

uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 23 - @ Iowa

Recommended Posts

- The game got off the start many feared, maybe expected. 

- I liked their response after falling behind.

- I look forward to having a competitive front court someday.

- That three at the end of the half made me pretty upset...

- Iowa did all the things they didn't do in Lincoln, which was pretty expected. 

- Iowa should always remember that the worst team in NU history still beat Iowa.

- I'm not sure which is more disheartening, being a terrible free throw shooting team or not being able to hit layups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green - Best game easily as a Husker.

Yvan - just a poor game for him

Thor - really looked like the Thor of years past today.  Just added very little.

Cross - Looked over matched today

Mack - better than last game but still not one of his better games

Burke - played well for the most part, forced things a few times but far from our issues today.

Cheatham - AWOL today and hopefully the calf injury is not serious but it sure looks like it.

Arop - Raw but liked the hustle and effort.

Kavas - Who would have guessed how poorly he would be offensively when he signed.  He really struggles on defense but really figured he would give us some points along the way.

Easley - Love the effort on defense, is a liability on offense when the game is not out of hand.

 

Came out flat to start the game and again at half time.  Not sure what happens at half but we HAVE to be better in the first 5 minutes of the second half.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Green - Best game easily as a Husker.

Yvan - just a poor game for him

Thor - really looked like the Thor of years past today.  Just added very little.

Cross - Looked over matched today

Mack - better than last game but still not one of his better games

Burke - played well for the most part, forced things a few times but far from our issues today.

Cheatham - AWOL today and hopefully the calf injury is not serious but it sure looks like it.

Arop - Raw but liked the hustle and effort.

Kavas - Who would have guessed how poorly he would be offensively when he signed.  He really struggles on defense but really figured he would give us some points along the way.

Easley - Love the effort on defense, is a liability on offense when the game is not out of hand.

 

Came out flat to start the game and again at half time.  Not sure what happens at half but we HAVE to be better in the first 5 minutes of the second half.  

I've got to wonder if Thor and Mack aren't exhausted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that Cross having 5 assists is a welcome surprise. And Burke's drives are a welcome sight since his perimeter shot isn't working.

 

And, rather optimistic to see this: Green was great, which was great to see; Same for Akol Arop, I really liked his energy, along with the weekly yeoman's work from Charlie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mack: dude, exhausted

Cheatham: exhausted, how frustrated would you be never getting a foul called when you get murdered every time you go to the hoop

Thor: defenses are paying attention to him

Cross: is a dude, true freshman, Charles Barkley type power

Ivan: not much good, young?

Burke: not shooting well, tired legs

Green: kills offensive flow, good effort, too good of an athlete not to be making a better contribution

 

everyone else: non-factor and there in is the problem, we have driven 7 guys into the ground due to lack of depth

 

ps: the big10 sucks, refs suck, we are the redheaded step child of the west, we have earned zero respect in any men's sports since joining, the Big10 has zero interest in us being any good, we just don't matter in the larger picture of a league that already has, Ohio St., Pedophile st, Michigan, Wisconsin, still love my Nebrasketball!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that bugged me, and in the grand scheme of things probably isn't a huge deal, but for as fast as Mack is, I wish he wouldn't slow up on fast breaks. He has done that multiple times this season. It looks like when LeBron has a fast break and the defense doesn't chase. Well in college, most teams aren't gonna allow an easy fast break. Plus guys like LeBron can accelerate much quicker if the D does contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nerdofalltrades said:

Mack: dude, exhausted

Cheatham: exhausted, how frustrated would you be never getting a foul called when you get murdered every time you go to the hoop

Thor: defenses are paying attention to him

Cross: is a dude, true freshman, Charles Barkley type power

Ivan: not much good, young?

Burke: not shooting well, tired legs

Green: kills offensive flow, good effort, too good of an athlete not to be making a better contribution

 

everyone else: non-factor and there in is the problem, we have driven 7 guys into the ground due to lack of depth

 

ps: the big10 sucks, refs suck, we are the redheaded step child of the west, we have earned zero respect in any men's sports since joining, the Big10 has zero interest in us being any good, we just don't matter in the larger picture of a league that already has, Ohio St., Pedophile st, Michigan, Wisconsin, still love my Nebrasketball!

 

ACC Officials handed Duke tonight’s game.  I cannot believe Ted Valentine still gets to officiate.  B1G Officials had no impact on tonight’s game with Iowa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some things are as good as determined behind the scenes, but I’ll say this much anyway.

 

-I don’t always see Mack staying around.

-I wish Arop would. 
-Thor and Burke can help us next year.

-Cross is still the most intriguing player but his role is unknown next year. I don’t even know what position is his best. 
-Banton and Stevenson are so crucial. I think we’ll see quick improvement because of these guys (and Walker too). I just wish I knew how that improvement will be quantified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, unl said:

I know some things are as good as determined behind the scenes, but I’ll say this much anyway.

 

-I don’t always see Mack staying around.

-I wish Arop would. 
-Thor and Burke can help us next year.

-Cross is still the most intriguing player but his role is unknown next year. I don’t even know what position is his best. 
-Banton and Stevenson are so crucial. I think we’ll see quick improvement because of these guys (and Walker too). I just wish I knew how that improvement will be quantified. 

 

Agreed. I think both Easley and Arop can be good enough to contribute minutes going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nerdofalltrades said:

Mack: dude, exhausted

Cheatham: exhausted, how frustrated would you be never getting a foul called when you get murdered every time you go to the hoop

Thor: defenses are paying attention to him

Cross: is a dude, true freshman, Charles Barkley type power

Ivan: not much good, young?

Burke: not shooting well, tired legs

Green: kills offensive flow, good effort, too good of an athlete not to be making a better contribution

 

everyone else: non-factor and there in is the problem, we have driven 7 guys into the ground due to lack of depth

 

ps: the big10 sucks, refs suck, we are the redheaded step child of the west, we have earned zero respect in any men's sports since joining, the Big10 has zero interest in us being any good, we just don't matter in the larger picture of a league that already has, Ohio St., Pedophile st, Michigan, Wisconsin, still love my Nebrasketball!

 

Green was the only bright spot today less two air ball 3s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Certainly did not expect a win today.   Hoped to be competitive - but obviously that did not really happen.   But there were a few somewhat bright spots - 

 

Thought we had a little better effort from Mack today - nice to see him get a couple steals.   He needs a lot of work with his on-ball D (helps that against Iowa we let him play off of Toussaint so much) - but maybe the steals will make him realize he can also impact the game on the defensive end.

 

Thought we got some very positive contributions from Green.   He has lots of talent and I do think can be a key contributor next year.

 

Really glad to see Arop get meaningful minutes - hope that continues for the rest of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nerdofalltrades said:

Mack: dude, exhausted

Cheatham: exhausted, how frustrated would you be never getting a foul called when you get murdered every time you go to the hoop

Thor: defenses are paying attention to him

Cross: is a dude, true freshman, Charles Barkley type power

Ivan: not much good, young?

Burke: not shooting well, tired legs

Green: kills offensive flow, good effort, too good of an athlete not to be making a better contribution

 

everyone else: non-factor and there in is the problem, we have driven 7 guys into the ground due to lack of depth

 

ps: the big10 sucks, refs suck, we are the redheaded step child of the west, we have earned zero respect in any men's sports since joining, the Big10 has zero interest in us being any good, we just don't matter in the larger picture of a league that already has, Ohio St., Pedophile st, Michigan, Wisconsin, still love my Nebrasketball!

 

I dont think Cheatham gets fouled at all.  The dude goes at the rim and falls down 90% off the time on his own.  Seriously, go watch his drives at the rim.  Rarely does he stay upright and isnt getting fouled.  Good for him to attack against bigs though.  Dont go down the ref hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made the trip to Iowa City today ... probably about 50 Husker fans there in total. Nice place to see a game. Good home crowd (except for the fact they are Iowa fans ... annoying) and sight lines. Gets loud in that dug in, dark bowl of an arena.

- I don't know why, but I continue to be amazed at how many lay-ups (especially Yvan) and shots we miss around the hoop.

- Green brought good energy today, but does tend to freeze up the offense a bit. One of our better players today though.

- Better effort and engagement by Mack today ... like others I have my doubts about whether he'll be here next year, but I hope so.

- We are just so outmanned. Need to improve at all positions desperately. Gonna take a lot of patience ...

- Cheatham has really disappeared for the most part the last month. Gets out of control a lot. Wonder where his motivation is given being a grad transfer on a really bad team.

- Burke can do a lot of good things, but just a tad wild and impatient.

- We have to play zone anytime Kavas is in the game. Our use of the zone got us back in the game in the 1st half.

- I like the thought of what Cross can become and how he'll fit in next year. 

- Iowa fans are annoying and complain a lot, even when up 30.

- Iowa has a lot returning next year ... could be good for a while.

THIS IS GETTING TOUGH TO WATCH ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 10:53 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

- I don't know why, but I continue to be amazed at how many lay-ups (especially Yvan) and shots we miss around the hoop.
THIS IS GETTING TOUGH TO WATCH ...

Post game FH said we missed 10 lay ups in the first half alone! Total for the game had to be between 15-20.

Looking ahead at our schedule we have maybe 1 more win, senior night NWU.

Time to get Akol as much playing time as possible along with Green. We need to start playing for the future. Kavas should only be getting garbage minutes.

We need to continue to rest Cam and Thorir. Around 30 min a game PT. Those two are gassed and it shows.

I'm running out of motivation to attend games in person this season. I'm emotionally worn out.

Edited by Ron Mexico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notes from UNL

 

*-Nebraska falls to 0-4 against ranked teams, all coming in Big Ten play.

*-The win by Iowa snapped Nebraska’s two-game win streak in the series. NU is now 2-17 all-time in Iowa City

*-Jervay Green reached double figure for the eighth time this season, finishing with 18 points in the game, including 11 in the first half. It surpassed his high in Big Ten play this year (11 at Rutgers) and is the most since scoring 22 against Southern on Nov. 22. Green has scored in double figures in three of his four Big Ten road games, including each of his last two conference road tilts.

*-Mack finished with a season-high three steals, topping/matching his previous best of three set three other times, most recently against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Dec. 29. He finished with three assists, moving into sole possession of sixth place on Nebraska’s single-season list with 148 on the season.

*-Mack finished with 13 points, his team-high 20th double-figure effort of the season.
*-Dachon Burke Jr. finished with 12 points for his 13th double-figure game of the season.
*-Nebraska now has 17 double-figure runs this season after a 12-0 run in the first half today. NU held the Hawkeyes scoreless for a stretch of 8:31 in the first half. The 12-point run tied for the Huskers’ largest run in Big Ten play this season (also had a 12-0 run against Purdue on Dec. 15). It also tied for Nebraska’s second-largest run overall this season, trailing only a 13-0 run against South Dakota State on Nov. 15.

*-Akol Arop scored four points in a career-high 11 minutes. The four points tied his career high and marked the second straight game he scored four points, after Arop had scored only two points in the first 10 games of his career.

*-Charlie Easley scored seven points, one shy of his career high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

*-Nebraska now has 17 double-figure runs this season after a 12-0 run in the first half today. NU held the Hawkeyes scoreless for a stretch of 8:31 in the first half. The 12-point run tied for the Huskers’ largest run in Big Ten play this season (also had a 12-0 run against Purdue on Dec. 15). It also tied for Nebraska’s second-largest run overall this season, trailing only a 13-0 run against South Dakota State on Nov. 15.

 

Iowa didn't have any unanswered runs larger than this yesterday. However, they did have runs of

 

19-3

12-2

18-2

 

The last two were part of turning a 36-30 game into a 72-40 game. Woof.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

- I'm not sure which is more disheartening, being a terrible free throw shooting team or not being able to hit layups?

Not being able to rebound.

 

Also, the talk of Arop redshirting should be shifted, in my opinion, to "Should Yvan redshirt?" We have Stevenson and Walker coming eligible, with Mayen coming in for next year. Cross and/or Arop should be able to provide 10 decent minutes a game behind them, so why not give Yvan a chance to grow up and learn the game? If he sits out his 18-year-old season, then that gives him a chance to play as a 21-year-old senior, which is just about right. Of course, this all presumes he'll still be around in four years. Or one.

Edited by jayschool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...