uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 23 - @ Iowa

uneblinstu

23 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Not being able to rebound.

Also, the talk of Arop redshirting should be shifted, in my opinion, to "Should Yvan redshirt?" We have Stevenson and Walker coming eligible, with Mayen coming in for next year. Cross and/or Arop should be able to provide 10 decent minutes a game behind them, so why not give Yvan a chance to grow up and learn the game? If he sits out his 18-year-old season, then that gives him a chance to play as a 21-year-old senior, which is just about right. Of course, this all presumes he'll still be around in four years. Or one.

Does anyone really know why we took Yvan at such an early age?  Is there a reason he is so young and playing DI basketball?

On 2/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, jayschool said:

Not being able to rebound.

Also, the talk of Arop redshirting should be shifted, in my opinion, to "Should Yvan redshirt?" We have Stevenson and Walker coming eligible, with Mayen coming in for next year. Cross and/or Arop should be able to provide 10 decent minutes a game behind them, so why not give Yvan a chance to grow up and learn the game? If he sits out his 18-year-old season, then that gives him a chance to play as a 21-year-old senior, which is just about right. Of course, this all presumes he'll still be around in four years. Or one.

Listed weights

Mayen - 209#

Arop - 190#

Stevenson - 230#

Walker - 236#

Cross - 240#

Yvan - 260#

I think you could throw the last 4 guys into the conversation about center depth. I don't think you can roll out Arop or Mayen at center in this conference for any sort of extended time successfully unless they are offensively elite and I just don't see that.

The thing with redshirting Yvan is that you'd certainly get a more polished player but I doubt that any sort of long term development will change the fact that he's not a rim protector and it's pretty doubhful he's develop into a 3pt shooting threat. I feel like his floor his high but his ceiling is low. No doubt he'd be a better player in year 5 than he would be in year 2 but doesn't it seem like us with aspirations of winning and advancing in the NCAA tournament will be recruiting over him in 3-4 years?  

It might be because he's playing against the other team's backups but Arop seems like far and away the best rebounder on the team. Appears to possess that ability to know where the ball is going to end up plus the ability to go get it. If I have time I need to go back and find that one point where there are 2-3 Iowa guys and he just appears between them all and ends up with the ball.

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It might be because he's playing against the other team's backups but Arop seems like far and away the best rebounder on the team. Appears to possess that ability to know where the ball is going to end up plus the ability to go get it. If I have time I need to go back and find that one point where there are 2-3 Iowa guys and he just appears between them all and ends up with the ball.

Actually it was vs the Iowa starters.

Capture.JPG

Arop ends up getting the rebound between Fredrick and Garza with Kriener sort of watching.

16 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Actually it was vs the Iowa starters.

Capture.JPG

Arop ends up getting the rebound between Fredrick and Garza with Kriener sort of watching.

I would imagine that when you're up by around 30 points midway through the second half, against probably the worst team in the league, there isn't the same sense of urgency to fight for a rebound that there might be otherwise.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I would imagine that when you're up by around 30 points midway through the second half, against probably the worst team in the league, there isn't the same sense of urgency to fight for a rebound that there might be otherwise.

I can assure you that Fredrick was very much trying to get that ball. He tried to box out Arop who just blew him away with such force that the Iowa crowd thought that Fredrick was fouled. I'm not entirely sure that Garza has an off switch.  I don't know that if that is Yvan, Kevin, or anyone else down there that they come up with that ball. On a poor rebounding team, moments like this really stick out.