Indiana (18-6) vs. Nebraska (15-8) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

the one thing that really surprises me is that i thought they would be a better rebounding team this year. i really liked the fight of mershon and verbeek last season. plus, the addition of bourne this year. not that they haven't had their moments..........but, that seems to be it.....moments.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

50 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Think about the shot Indiana made to go ahead.  Easy bucket.  Think about our last attempt.  Is that coaching?

I thought at the time:  "Way too Easy."

25 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

or, just plain execution?

AND well-executed!   (Or doesn't seem to have much to do with it, unless she misses the shot  :Lol:)

Edited by Red Don

Not that it matters now...but the very late in the game,....charging call against Nicea was definitely wrong.

BTN+ in game replay showed the defender was still moving to block when "the foul" was called...against Nicea.....offensive charging...wrong call and it may well have changed the final result. (I think the score was tied then but would have see another replay.) TV announcers said the defender was still moving too.

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Not that it matters now...but the very late in the game,....charging call against Nicea was definitely wrong.

BTN+ in game replay showed the defender was still moving to block when "the foul" was called...against Nicea.....offensive charging...wrong call and it may well have changed the final result. (I think the score was tied then but would have see another replay.) TV announcers said the defender was still moving too.

As I recall replay showed Nicea did not make the basket so it may not have made any difference.  No telling how the rebound might have been, but officials gave the ball to Indiana.

(Edit:  Duh, I shouldda realized it'd be FTS.  You know, Brain ####  :wink:)

Edited by Red Don

17 minutes ago, Red Don said:

As I recall replay showed Nicea did not make the basket so it may not have made any difference.  No telling how the rebound might have been, but officials gave the ball to Indiana.

17 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Nicea was in the shooting motion...it would have been free throws. 

These ladies have talent but they lack the ability to stay consistent. I feel Amy needs to make some adjustments with the starting line up, (maybe with Leigha and Izzy). They need to also hit the boards and rebound better,  do better with their turnovers..& have better screens...(the basics). And yes we have not had consistent refs either.  I really enjoy watching these ladies play, and the heart & passion for the game and not giving up.  #GBR

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

the one thing that really surprises me is that i thought they would be a better rebounding team this year. i really liked the fight of mershon and verbeek last season. plus, the addition of bourne this year. not that they haven't had their moments..........but, that seems to be it.....moments.

Kate with her height and length should be averaging 10 rebounds per game.  As for Ashtyn she was playing pretty well early and then had the injury missing a game or two but never returned to form.  Maybe it's a confidence thing.

We could have really used Taylor K. tonight.  

13 hours ago, redsteve said:

I don't think this changes your point, but just FWIW, we were down 2 when Nicea was called for the charge.   It was tied when Hannah turned it over the previous possession.  

First let me say it was nice to see the energy from Q2 on and especially in the second half. That last couple of plays where Hannah threw the ball away appears Kate was thinking she was going to shoot and ready how often does she drive and look to pass? If Kate had stopped and the pass was on it could have well been the go ahead score. Nicea getting the charge was one of those 50/50 calls and with the refs we had that was going to go with Indiana. Part of me thinks this staff should take notice of what and who are getting it done. I think we tend to get stagnant on the offensive end which leads to us standing on the 3 point line and then shot watching instead of blocking out. We us being down by 25 in the second and Amy looking for anything to spark our morbid play it was our three freshman on the court at the same time providing that. We also stopped standing so much. More motion to our offense and it made Indiana work harder on that end. We kept that going after the half as well. I think that also led to us having better play on the defensive end as well. Part of Indiana's bad half of play was due to what we started doing. We hit 40% or better after Q1 all IMHO going back to how we started playing. So this staff should look to this game and adjust what we are doing on offensive end. Watching some of the top teams in the B1G and they have a lot of motion to their offense. Granted some of them have a true point guard and we currently do not but it does not just need to just come from the point. I think most of us are wondering what has happened to Veerbeek. We have all talked about a change in the lineup. I think Bourne and Brown have both earned the right to start. Maybe having both Veerbook and Haiby coming off that bench can take some pressure off of them. Plus Amy in the post game with Matt said Helms is really starting to come along in practice so she should be getting court time as well. Really at this point they should just cut them loose. 

20 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

First let me say it was nice to see the energy from Q2 on and especially in the second half. That last couple of plays where Hannah threw the ball away appears Kate was thinking she was going to shoot and ready how often does she drive and look to pass? If Kate had stopped and the pass was on it could have well been the go ahead score. Nicea getting the charge was one of those 50/50 calls and with the refs we had that was going to go with Indiana. Part of me thinks this staff should take notice of what and who are getting it done. I think we tend to get stagnant on the offensive end which leads to us standing on the 3 point line and then shot watching instead of blocking out. We us being down by 25 in the second and Amy looking for anything to spark our morbid play it was our three freshman on the court at the same time providing that. We also stopped standing so much. More motion to our offense and it made Indiana work harder on that end. We kept that going after the half as well. I think that also led to us having better play on the defensive end as well. Part of Indiana's bad half of play was due to what we started doing. We hit 40% or better after Q1 all IMHO going back to how we started playing. So this staff should look to this game and adjust what we are doing on offensive end. Watching some of the top teams in the B1G and they have a lot of motion to their offense. Granted some of them have a true point guard and we currently do not but it does not just need to just come from the point. I think most of us are wondering what has happened to Veerbeek. We have all talked about a change in the lineup. I think Bourne and Brown have both earned the right to start. Maybe having both Veerbook and Haiby coming off that bench can take some pressure off of them. Plus Amy in the post game with Matt said Helms is really starting to come along in practice so she should be getting court time as well. Really at this point they should just cut them loose. 

Helms? i don't remember how the redshirt works? 20%? idk, with NCAA's gone (well, except for winning BTT, and odds are slim that is going to happen) do you really want to burn her redshirt? Helms would have final say, but, i would redshirt her if possible.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Helms? i don't remember how the redshirt works? 20%? idk, with NCAA's gone (well, except for winning BTT, and odds are slim that is going to happen) do you really want to burn her redshirt? Helms would have final say, but, i would redshirt her if possible.
9 games is what the cut off is for a RS.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I feel like Amy's recruits are always their best their freshman year!! Am I the only one thinking that? Is it because teams are guarding the upper class harder than the freshman? or the freshman playing more relaxed because they have nothing to lose?

well, maybe familiarity helps opponents? but yeah, understand your comment

Edited by whoopdeedoo

3 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I feel like Amy's recruits are usually their best their freshman year!! Am I the only one thinking that? Is it because teams are guarding the upper class harder than the freshman? or the freshman playing more relaxed because they have nothing to lose?

I hope Izzy breaks that trend.   So far, player development, is a question mark with this staff.