2020 JUCO PG Malik Zachery

thrasher31

If we're looking at this being a reaction to this weekend, are we offering this guy because of striking out on Whitt or because Mack isn't going to be here next year?

Zachery is sort of a post-hype sleeper from Syracuse. At one point I think he was more highly regarded than MAW.  He's been through 1 year of prep school and now two years of JUCO and I think it was to get a better offer as opposed to grades. It would appear that he had a hand issue so he has a medical redshirt this year so he'd have 3 years left.

The book on him was "pure PG". The guy is a quick playmaker with excellent handles.  Not big enough for upper D-1 and not a good enough shooter.  He sort of screams 'back up pg' which once again brings me to wonder if this is in response to this weekend.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

If we're looking at this being a reaction to this weekend, are we offering this guy because of striking out on Whitt or because Mack isn't going to be here next year?

Or maybe, and hear me out on this, just MAYBE we're putting together the first ever team of all point guards in the history of the sport!

Edited by 49r

11 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Robin said Fred had Whitt and family over for Super Bowl last night and official visit ended this morning....  Seems like that's a positive but who knows.  Might be more related to Cam unfortunately.

That's what I'm thinking also honestly. Banton can hypothetically play PG but you still  need at least another ball handler on the roster

Watched some tape from 2019 and looked decent. Can get to the rim, looks quick enough, but more than likely a backup PG. This doesn't worry me in regards to Whitt or Mack, but I think it's 1000% something to keep your eye on. More of an "insurance policy"

Edited by thrasher31

The recent Omaha World Herald story on Cam Mack would suggest that he has an excellent opportunity to get drafted sooner rather than later.

If that happens, we should all cheer, because that will confirm Hoiberg's continuing ability to get players to the next level--which will boost future recruiting efforts. 

19 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

He is not getting drafted lol. Not after this year anyway, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he left. I could see him going to play overseas or just going the GLeague route to get paid after this year. 

I’ll defer to your expertise, but here is from the article:

Should Mack continue his pace and finish with those numbers, he’d join names like Ja Morant, Michael Carter-Williams, Jason Kidd, Kris Dunn, Jarrett Jack and Greivis Vasquez.

You can declare for the draft, not get selected, and go back, right?
Cam is having the sort of year where he certainly will put his feet in those waters.

He's obviously talented and a future pro at some level but there are a lot of talented PGs out there and a decent number of them are more physically gifted and/or consistent. No doubt he's going to be a guy who works out for scouts who tell him he needs to go back to school and do X and Y better. I guess we'll see if he can respond any better than he does on  the court when things aren't going his way. I very well might have no idea what I"m talking about but that's going to be where he finds himself this June after his name isn't called.

5 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I’ll defer to your expertise, but here is from the article:

Should Mack continue his pace and finish with those numbers, he’d join names like Ja Morant, Michael Carter-Williams, Jason Kidd, Kris Dunn, Jarrett Jack and Greivis Vasquez.

Ok great he’s still not getting drafted this year. I didn’t say he couldn’t in the future, but not this year.