Whittish vs. Doyle

Bugeaters1

I have often thought about this as well.  Thanks for bringing it up.  In Doyle we would have a fiery and scrappy point guard that plays tough defense and is smart in knowing when to take it to the hoop and how to pass on the inside.  Basically she has improved every year which is what you want out of all your players.  She relishes the physicality of the point guard position and is a real leader.  Hannah is much better suited to be a shooting guard and I think that is what she probably was recruited for initially.  This year Doyle has done a better job of keeping her temper under control which has really paid off for Iowa.

Some posters may not like to talk about what if but I feel it's fair game since she was committed here at one time.

I drove past Clafin Ks. today and thought about Emily Ryan from there and think we will really regret not getting her.  Going forward we need to recruit a top point guard if we are going to elevate this program.

Along with a point guard we need to recruit 6'2-5" players that can jump.  We get killed every game with poor rebounding. Even when our girls kind of block out their person, the opposition girl outjumps our girls to get the ball or just tips it back to her teammates.  Also it would be nice if Coach Williams  recruited a post player that could jump and  had some inside moves for easy layups.  So right now I don't see next year's team being any better than a middle of the road team. Williams recruiting has got to get a lot better.

7 hours ago, HUD said:

I have often thought about this as well.  Thanks for bringing it up.  In Doyle we would have a fiery and scrappy point guard that plays tough defense and is smart in knowing when to take it to the hoop and how to pass on the inside.  Basically she has improved every year which is what you want out of all your players.  She relishes the physicality of the point guard position and is a real leader.  Hannah is much better suited to be a shooting guard and I think that is what she probably was recruited for initially.  This year Doyle has done a better job of keeping her temper under control which has really paid off for Iowa.

Some posters may not like to talk about what if but I feel it's fair game since she was committed here at one time.

I drove past Clafin Ks. today and thought about Emily Ryan from there and think we will really regret not getting her.  Going forward we need to recruit a top point guard if we are going to elevate this program.

as stated in another thread, she is part of ISU's 2020 class that includes two point guards and two guards----Donarski #12 rated and the other 3 all in the top 100!😧

7 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Look how well Iowa is doing.  Doyle can play.

had a feeling that was going to be a big loss. even with some of the negative things said on this board about doyle (and, i think i mentioned one or two), i still would want her on my team. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I look at a player like Doyle, someone I think played with a little too much emotion in her early years, but plays so well now.  That type of player would have flourished under Yori, and flourished early in her playing career.  But, for whatever reason, that wasn't meant to be. 

I found a thread from when Williams was hired and read through it last night.  There were comments from a few people that we absolutely needed a true PG, a leader, for the team.  We were counting on Doyle until she decommitted.  I just wish we had recruited someone to replace her.  Maybe Helms is that person?  Does she not get many minutes due to her leg issues?

Senior leadership is sooooo important in any sport, even if you aren't a starter.  It's important to pass on what you've learned in your time as a collegiate athlete and set the culture for the younger athletes.  A lot of it is done outside of competition - like in the weight room, practices, etc.  If the younger athletes see one of the seniors totally busting ass whether they are the top person on the team or a nonstarter, they know what the expectation is.  My daughter sees some of the freshman get down on themselves during competition and she doesn't hesitate to talk with them (it's pretty common in a more individualized sport like track and field for an athlete that was kicking butt in HS to adjust to not being the top dog right out of the gate in college).  Sometimes it's the weight room where they struggle, but the seniors are there to help lift them up.  There is so much more - I honestly didn't realize everything that went into it, but my daughter will often share with me various things and, if may toot my daughter's horn a little, I'm impressed she has figured all of this out and is able to handle her course work, athletics, other extracurricular stuff, and still be a leader on her team.

1 minute ago, huskerchode said:

Maybe Helms is that person?  Does she not get many minutes due to her leg issues?

just a guess, but, wondering if staff (with possibly advice from professionals) hope the combination of surgery and a season off will help her future? asked this before, but, can't remember if anyone responded.....but, i wonder just how much helms was involved in practice?

i'll stay with my assumption that i believe we are seeing something similar to RB43....a chronic condition that will limit availability or even being able to play at all. again, i am just going by what i have read about the condition. the staff surely has to realize they are going to have to go out and find the best pg available-----you just can't gamble on helms being able to take over the duties.