Fred’s Pi**ed...

Handy Johnson

This year is a throwaway year except in the fact I'd like to see buy in and growth. I honestly think we've seen that for the most part. Last night was disappointing but it was bound to happen I think (not trying to make excuses). My big concern is that I think most of us are hoping Mack will be a leader and consistent presence this year and for at least next year as well. I'm sometimes not sure he is a team player (although he's obviously the best all around player on the team) and I wonder how well he's respected by his teammates. I would hope our point guard is a good leader and a leader by example ... I'm just not sure I see that in Cam right now, but obviously he has room to grow as well and is a young man still. 

11 hours ago, busticket said:

Thor is the only lock to me.  Cam with a good attitude is obviously a lock.  Cross has a chance.  Dachon has a chance.  If Easley can figure out his three point shot he has a chance. That’s 5 guys for 2-3 spots.  

I'm not so sure about that. He will definitely play a role but he is not going to get the kind of minutes next year that he has this year.

The lack of maturity displayed by Mack last night was not good. It is in sharp contrast to how Green has handled being disciplined.

The way we start in the 2nd half is more than a 1 time occurrence. I've been chalking it up to the fact that we lack the horse power to sustain 1st half momentum.

What I saw against PSU was complete garbage. We have lost a lot of games this year, and we will lose more, but Saturday night was reminiscent of years past where we have gotten completely brought to the woodshed.

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

The way we start in the 2nd half is more than a 1 time occurrence. I've been chalking it up to the fact that we lack the horse power to sustain 1st half momentum.

What I saw against PSU was complete garbage. We have lost a lot of games this year, and we will lose more, but Saturday night was reminiscent of years past where we have gotten completely brought to the woodshed.

I have been feeling this as well.  This has happened multiple times in conference play and even times where we have had a lead.  It's a reoccurring issue that I am worried about.  Like many, I expected to lose this year, but I expected us to be peaking and playing games a lot closer right now than we did at the beginning of the year.  Does this team beat UCR, UND, and SUU right now VS. earlier in the year?  I'd like to be more confident in a "yes" answer than I am right now.

17 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

This time of year your weaknesses are exposed and we have our share of them. We are simply not as good as the team's we are playing.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten has 12 teams that appear to be Top 40-50 in the nation. It's really the two NU's that appear to be out of the norm. Best possible rebuilding year, tbh.

Apparently Cam’s been saying some silly things on Snapchat lately. A screenshot was sent to me but I can’t upload to here on my phone. He’s laughing about how we’re going to get blown out tomorrow night.

Been saying this since August, but he won’t be here next year. Never planned on it. He truly thinks he’s an NBA player and, regardless of his draft stock, he will not listen to anyone’s advice this postseason. 

FWIW, I know a guy who’s connected in Kansas JUCO circles (Cam was at Hutch CC for a month or two). “Culture killer” was how he described his time there. 

27 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Apparently Cam’s been saying some silly things on Snapchat lately. A screenshot was sent to me but I can’t upload to here on my phone. He’s laughing about how we’re going to get blown out tomorrow night.

Been saying this since August, but he won’t be here next year. Never planned on it. He truly thinks he’s an NBA player and, regardless of his draft stock, he will not listen to anyone’s advice this postseason. 

FWIW, I know a guy who’s connected in Kansas JUCO circles (Cam was at Hutch CC for a month or two). “Culture killer” was how he described his time there. 

I likely won't be too sad when Cam "the Arrow" Mack has completed his time at NU. I did enjoy some of his better moments that he's provided (i.e. first NU triple-double & exquisite passing skills, for instance), but we all know this season has already been lost.

Personally, I want to see more of the Akol Arop and Charlie Easley's on the roster, lifer Nebraskans, than some of these grad transfer(s) or dude(s) who will act like ships passing in the night on the court. It is what is at this point. It doesn't sway my fandom either way how someone approaches their brief time at NU, I'll still be here when they're gone. GBR

56 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Wouldn't even shock me if he isn't allowed to finish out this year.   Too bad about the attitude and mental approach, because Cam is a damn good player.  

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Honestly, have been wondering what Cam would have been like with a few more "players" on the roster next year.  Less shots to go around, not the "man" all the time.  I don't know that Cam would be able to take on a little lesser role for the betterment of the team.  Yeah, he'd still get his because he is so good.  However, he might not be the go to player all of the time.

4 minutes ago, HB said:

Wouldn't even shock me if he isn't allowed to finish out this year. 

That would be pretty shocking and seems like an overcorrection here. Hoiberg certainly has a policy on showing up on time. Doesn't seem like there is one regarding social media or the such.

38 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That would be pretty shocking and seems like an overcorrection here. Hoiberg certainly has a policy on showing up on time. Doesn't seem like there is one regarding social media or the such.

My comment wasn't limited to social media.   He could be late again.  Among other things.    Is he on "double secret probation"?    

4 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I likely won't be too sad when Cam "the Arrow" Mack has completed his time at NU. I did enjoy some of his better moments that he's provided (i.e. first NU triple-double & exquisite passing skills, for instance), but we all know this season has already been lost.

Personally, I want to see more of the Akol Arop and Charlie Easley's on the roster, lifer Nebraskans, than some of these grad transfer(s) or dude(s) who will act like ships passing in the night on the court. It is what is at this point. It doesn't sway my fandom either way how someone approaches their brief time at NU, I'll still be here when they're gone. GBR

Im tired of hearing the NE guy take.  Whether its fb with walk ons on people saying "he's from here and plays hard, play him." Get the best players and play them.  Yeah Charlie plays hard but skills lack as well as Akol's and are more a liability at this point.  Why get blown out more cause the NE guy "gets it" or plays hard.  Sure I'll catch flack for this but lets be honest, these are role players that realistically in a right situation should be lucky to get 5-10 mins a game

Edited by coughunter

My hope is Mack recognized his position on a lousy, but soon to be good team (next season) will help him immensely. If he stays he will have a decent chance at Big X player of the year, provided he listen to his brilliant coach. I have faith in coach Hoiberg and think if anyone can reach Mack, it will be him. That said, I am conditioned to the point of near nihilism- and certainly P.T.S.D. regarding NU basketball that I could see Mack being kicked off the team this year! In fact, I could see anything happen, provided it is horrible. I will choose to hold out hope that Coach H. will lead us to glory!

I hope we keep Cam next season.  I’d say playing the minutes he has on this team has earned him some respect regardless of perceived character.  He’s been a warrior for us this season.  He deserves to be surrounded with legitimate talent next year if he chooses to return.  

4 hours ago, coughunter said:

Im tired of hearing the NE guy take.  Whether its fb with walk ons on people saying "he's from here and plays hard, play him." Get the best players and play them.  Yeah Charlie plays hard but skills lack as well as Akol's and are more a liability at this point.  Why get blown out more cause the NE guy "gets it" or plays hard.  Sure I'll catch flack for this but lets be honest, these are role players that realistically in a right situation should be lucky to get 5-10 mins a game

So, when your alma mater has lost 8 straight, I do like to see those who have earned a role that happen to be natives play because they seem to care more about their home-state team.

And, of course they're really just role players, no one is suggesting they start in this thread. I do prefer to see them do well since they appear to be more invested in the Cornhuskers in the long-term. It's not a take that I *only* want to see them do well. That's a fallacy that you appear to have conjured up all on your own.

15 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

So, when your alma mater has lost 8 straight, I do like to see those who have earned a role that happen to be natives play because they seem to care more about their home-state team.

And, of course they're really just role players, no one is suggesting they start in this thread. I do prefer to see them do well since they appear to be more invested in the Cornhuskers in the long-term. It's not a take that I *only* want to see them do well. That's a fallacy that you appear to have conjured up all on your own.

Whats to say they care more than anyone else?  They are all competitors no matter where they are from and pretty sure they all want to win.  Dont give me they care more cause they are from here.  Thats a fallacy created by husker fans cause some walk on fb players had some success.  I want all players to care and play hard not just cause they are from here.  To think the players from NE have more heart is outrageous.  Give me the best players who help the team compete and win anyday over an in-state player. 

15 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Whats to say they care more than anyone else?  They are all competitors no matter where they are from and pretty sure they all want to win.  Dont give me they care more cause they are from here.  Thats a fallacy created by husker fans cause some walk on fb players had some success.  I want all players to care and play hard not just cause they are from here.  To think the players from NE have more heart is outrageous.  Give me the best players who help the team compete and win anyday over an in-state player. 

They're not walk-ons.

And, yes, I want to see Nebraskans do well. It's obvious they all *should* care, and it's equally clear they all do not. That's my take.