Fred’s Pi**ed...

Handy Johnson

If you heard Hoiberg’s Presser after the game, he was visibly upset & understandably so. It certainly wasn’t your typical “we’re gonna roll up our sleeves” & get back to work on Monday routine. He was HOT, & as he tries to establish “his” template for success , It was refreshing to see. A lot of things regarding Wins/Losses are out of your control, but NOT your effort, that’s why he was so bent out of shape. Go Big Fred!

2 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Hard to say if Mack was in full-on “pout mode” since he didn’t start, but it was easily his poorest performance of the year. And as others pointed out in the game thread, when he “checks out” mentally, we’re REALLY in trouble...

He played like hot garbage. Yeah, it was that bad.

Jury is still out with me on Cam Mack.  His defense is, not consistent, to be nice.  Free throws, 3 pt shot (flat), finishing at the rim, and apparently time management, all need work.  He can dish it though, and shoots a mean "air" arrow into the crowd when he makes a shot.  He's got a long way to go.  Hopefully he commits to doing so, he has a great opportunity and coaching staff to get him there.

I'm glad Hoiberg is setting program expectations and following through.

Jeez, if anyone and I mean anyone thinks we are being hard on cam they need to ask scott frost how insanely and absurdly hard we were on him.  If this is going hard, scott got ran over by a semi.  And that was just the first week after Arizona state.

And 20 years later we were ecstatic he came home.  Ok, he won a title.  But still... We were way, WAY beyond brutal.

Our fan base demands effort and results in that order.  If you give the effort, trust me, well the rest matters... but the respect level goes up and the edge comes off.  If you're just going to pout and cry, well... the fan base doesn't take it well.  And you know what?  No one else will either in professional or college.

Edited by kleitus

This week of practice will be interesting. Make or break for some guys. Really optimistic on Mack. He's truly an all big ten level talent. 

Hopeful akol gets some minutes this weekend. This is a kind of matchup for him. Iowa has bigs but they've been staring 4 guards lately. 

Hopefully some guys take this week to heart and compete for all 5 days

Yeah, Fred sounds and feels similar to how I sound and feel.

Here's the deal, this program has been stuck in the mud, well, forever.  I thought  I saw a glimpse, just a glimpse of us moving to the next level the past couple of years due to an increase in talent.  Then...this year is happening.  The PBA is a tremendous venue.  The practice facility is second to none.  We have, what appears to be, a good staff, although, I am waiting to see how we recruit.  Can we bring in high level talent.  This talent must display the work ethic that seems lacking this year.  

I am all for having fun, after all, basketball is a game.  But having fun without focus, without intensity, without consistency, results in losses.  A lot of losses.  And losses are not fun.

So yeah i am with Fred, i am disappointed, I am concerned and I am frustrated. 

I agree with the comments that Cam Mack has the talent to be a really special player.   He can do things on the floor that are all-conference caliber and is the best passer we have had since Brian Carr.

At the same time his lack of an interest or intensity on the defensive side of the court is infuriating.    While his indifference to trying to play any defense may have peaked vs. PSU I would not agree with the comment that said his defense needs to be more "consistent" - frankly that has been the most "consistent" part of his game - unfortunately though it has been consistently lacking.  (Drives me crazy also the way he constantly motions for the crowd to get more intense when we are on D - but then fails to play defense with any intensity at all.)

From my perspective he has been given more of a pass from Hoiberg and the NU crowd for his play and behavior than he would have gotten anywhere else - where his talent and positive attributes might not stand out as much.   He should consider himself lucky to be playing here where we know we need him on the floor - but at the same time he needs to dedicate himself to improving all aspects of his game and learn what it really takes to succeed at this level.    Reminds me of all the stories we have been hearing in the last week about the work ethisc that Kobe Bryant had about basketball and the intensity that he had for all aspects of the game.  Kobe Bryant had more talent for basketball than virtually anyone else on the planet - but he knew that did not give him a pass - but instead he dedicated himself to try to work harder at his game than anyone else did as well.   Cam could learn alot from paying attention to those stories about Kobe.

1 hour ago, busticket said:

This is not the year to be concerned.  We brought in 12 new guys, most of the top end guys are sitting out in my opinion.  Chemistry was always going to be an issue year 1 as this is a total rebuild.

I would say that that, in terms of results, this is correct.  However, I think it's fair to be concerned about chemistry this far into the year.  Especially since it seems as though the biggest issue is with a PG who we hope will be here for 2-3 years.  The team should be gelling at this time, not fading away.  It's concerning to me, not that we are losing, but how we are losing.  It's concerning to me that our PG who we want to be a leader is making the same mistakes as earlier this year.  This was always a year that wins were going to be hard to come by.  However, Cam shouldn't be having these problems this late in the year.

4 hours ago, busticket said:

This is not the year to be concerned.  We brought in 12 new guys, most of the top end guys are sitting out in my opinion.  Chemistry was always going to be an issue year 1 as this is a total rebuild.

I am concerned because the players do not appear to be buying into the coaching...or so  it seems.  Some do, but certainly not all.  Hopefully the players sitting out and those coming in will indeed be saviors.  Then I will breathe again.

I hear you papa.  Cam is kind of the critical piece here.  If Fred can get him to fully buy in to the team first mentality we are in pretty good shape going into year 2.  To me the rest of the team is auditioning for a role in year 2.  

Banton, Shamiel, Walker, Teddy Allen, and Lat have a very good chance to be in the top 8 next year.  That leaves 2-3 spots in the rotation.

Thor is the only lock to me.  Cam with a good attitude is obviously a lock.  Cross has a chance.  Dachon has a chance.  If Easley can figure out his three point shot he has a chance. That’s 5 guys for 2-3 spots.  

i think our team looks a lot different next year.  On top of the additional players, it is huge that only 2 players will be new to our system.  12 new guys who have never played together trying to learn a new system...that is tough.  From what’s I have seen from Fred’s coaching...his system will get his guys looks.  We just need guys who can make the plays.