Akol Arop

Akol Arop talking to the media today. Says it was hard early in the year with the lack of playing time but he's used to it now. Said he met with Hoiberg a few times to talk about his role, and he's accepting it being a positivity guy on the bench with limited minutes.

Arop also said he and Hoiberg have talked about Arop's future role with the team. Arop says his time is coming.

I don't see where he fits on this team next year, as far as major minutes go. 

If he can stay around to his Junior and Senior year, he could be a very effective player. I don't think he'll be the driver and ball handler that Burke is, but my hope is that he can become a lock-down defender of multiple guys like Burke can. But staying until that point is becoming rarer and rarer. So who knows. 

The college game is changing where players like Arop do not want to wait around for their turn a year or two down the line.  They want to play, and I can't say I really blame them as you only get 4 years to play and then it's over.  A far cry from years ago when freshmen were not even eligible.  Arop might be one of those guys that will stick it out and develop.  

3 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The college game is changing where players like Arop do not want to wait around for their turn a year or two down the line.  They want to play, and I can't say I really blame them as you only get 4 years to play and then it's over.  A far cry from years ago when freshmen were not even eligible.  Arop might be one of those guys that will stick it out and develop.  

You're 100% correct. 

My question would be, how many of those guys does it actually workout for? Spend a year sitting (again), potentially end up in a situation where it also doesn't work out. For every Joe Burrow there's 100 dudes you never hear of. 

Maybe with the depth being better next year Arop can red shirt and continue his development. Probably won't. Also wouldn't shock me if he is gone after this year. No inside information but I get the feeling that Arop was only kept because Hoiberg wanted to honor his commitment and they needed bodies in this first year.

Just now, basketballjones said:

You're 100% correct. 

My question would be, how many of those guys does it actually workout for? Spend a year sitting (again), potentially end up in a situation where it also doesn't work out. For every Joe Burrow there's 100 dudes you never hear of. 

Good point.  In the long run it would be better for some to settle into a system and a college and pay your dues. I was not a college athlete but I also could not see myself transferring to another school, leaving friends and possibly having to take classes over and so on.

1 hour ago, TheGov21 said:

Maybe with the depth being better next year Arop can red shirt and continue his development. Probably won't. Also wouldn't shock me if he is gone after this year. No inside information but I get the feeling that Arop was only kept because Hoiberg wanted to honor his commitment and they needed bodies in this first year.

I've been saying the redshirt idea for next year. Think he's a guy that makes sense to use a redshirt on. Bulk him up, work on his skills/shot, and let him run the scout team against Stevenson/Cross/Mayen/banton. He'll get better. 

As far as playing this year, might as well try it. I don't particularly love the idea of him at the 5 (which is what they did when he entered for Yvan) but he's a guy that could switch 1-5 and allow the offense to run a 5-out. Let's see how this plays out. 

59 minutes ago, LK1 said:

His athleticism is great.  His skills have to be developed.  It takes time.  I hope he stays because he's a good enough athlete to be a good player for us as un upperclassman.  

I think he could be good in a year or two. I see the Jefferson kid at Creighton as what he could become. Super athletic small ball 4 man who crashes the boards, gets put backs, and hits some 3s when open

I think he will be gone by the beginning of the season next year, but who knows? Kids don't want to redshirt these days because they know they might transfer anyhow and lose that year along the way. If you transfer within Division 1 your sit out year is your redshirt and then you still could transfer down a division and play right away (or grad transfer within division 1). I just don't see that he has the strength or skill to compete down low or in the paint and his shot isn't good enough to space the floor. Yes, he's athletic, but he needs something else to function well in Holberg's system. Just my $.02

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

54 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I think he will be gone by the beginning of the season next year, but who knows? Kids don't want to redshirt these days because they know they might transfer anyhow and lose that year along the way. If you transfer within Division 1 your sit out year is your redshirt and then you still could transfer down a division and play right away (or grad transfer within division 1). I just don't see that he has the strength or skill to compete down low or in the paint and his shot isn't good enough to space the floor. Yes, he's athletic, but he needs something else to function well in Holberg's system. Just my $.02

He actually shoots it well from the outside, I watch him a lot in warmups. I think the ball handling and just basketball knowledge playing the wing are probably his big hurdles. Wish he had Thor’s feel for the game.

I just hope whatever happens, it is good for him.  I think our coach  is one that will be very honest and has the best intentions for everyone at heart, even if it is a tough conversation.  It is pretty hard for me to envision not being a casualty of the numbers game as our coach always wants to have spots for transfers.  Complete speculation on my part.  Would be thrilled to see him be a productive member of our team and I also would be thrilled to see him excel elsewhere if that tough conversation were to be a part of the equation.  

I've been calling for Freddy to finally pull the trigger on more minutes for Akol Arop, albeit I figured at the expense of Matej Kavas. Well, tonight both of 'em played the final 4 minutes. They were doing a few good things out there. It certainly helped end a very sickening effort on a somewhat good note. That was a really bad start in regard to EFFORT to the 2nd half, especially. Ughh.