uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 21 - vs. Michigan

uneblinstu

-Cross is a player. Every game he gets more and more confident. Him at the 4 next year will be so much better 

-Cheathem broke out of his cold spell.

-Yvan got picked apart by a vet big. Teske just stayed with the ball handler every time. Until he can finish consistently in some way that's what opposing bigs will do. 

-No Kavas (good for us)

-Arop minutes. Stand by the thought that he should redshirt next year. Especially with Cross, Mayen, and Stevenson all vying for minutes at the 4. Not sure if he'll end up doing that. We'll see. 

-regular day at the office for Mack

-easley hustled. All you can ask for

-Starting lineup change next game? Not sure who for who but 6 straight Ls

I'm going to the Penn State game on Saturday. Really hoping for a good game but expecting the worst. 

Can't wait for Yvan to get more aggressive. Little things like attempting dunks instead of throwing up fallaway baby hooks that get swatted, not jumping and high-pointing lobs that should be caught by him. So many times, Cam has thrown nice lobs that get stolen because Yvan waits for the ball. Those things should improve dramatically with a year in the room and with college coaching (hopefully).

Just now, jason2486 said:

Can't wait for Yvan to get more aggressive. Little things like attempting dunks instead of throwing up fallaway baby hooks that get swatted, not jumping and high-pointing lobs that should be caught by him. So many times, Cam has thrown nice lobs that get stolen because Yvan waits for the ball. Those things should improve dramatically with a year in the room and with college coaching (hopefully).

I need to keep reminding myself he's 17. He's still a kid learning on the go. He seems committed to learning and cleaning up his mistakes also from everything I've read. 

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Also, some of his TO's in the first half were... oof.

He was much more careless with the ball in the first half than I've seen since the opening couple of games. I consider that a good thing. If he realizes he has holes in his game, I'm confident that he'll work hard on them with Hoiberg/Lutz and come back next year with better handles, better finishes and a better supporting cast.

My worry is that the team becomes so discouraged that the effort and execution will fade.  We might be shortchanging Michigan for their defensive effort. However, it was not a good performance on offense tonight.  We might have taken a step back tonight but there was some individual improvement in Cross.  Cam is a player and though he gets to the rim he has to find a way to convert more of those drives.  Looking for a better performance, not a victory, against PSU.

We couldn't get any of the runs that we have been living on lately because of the way the game was officiated.

There was really no flow to game and Michigan was allowed to body up our guys.

We aren't physical and this type of game will get us killed.

I think somebody was right about the ref's memo about keeping Michigan on the bubble later.

20 minutes ago, unl said:

The biggest thing I’ve noticed is teams take away Cam in the second half. This is the third time in January I remember his halftime stats being his 5 minutes to go stats (loosely speaking). When he doesn’t go, Nebraska doesn’t go. 

True. It also underscores the fact that Cam is our only legit Big Ten player.

Mack is the only piece on this team that should be starting next year unless others make drastic improvements.

Thor should be a great sixth man. 

Burke should be a nice spark off the bench.

Cross may develop into a solid B1G-level 4, but he isn't now. He seems to hold the most promise if he's not asked to guard 6-11 centers down low.

Yvan needs a lot of polish right now, but the potential is there.

Easley also needs a little work. He's not a Big Ten player this year, though he gives us quality minutes.

Arop is at least two years away.

Green's clock is ticking. Loudly.

Allen, Walker, Banton, Mayen and Stevenson all have a chance to be starters next year, unless the practice squad's success is driven by Lil' Pike and Porter, of course.

28 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Mack is the only piece on this team that should be starting next year unless others make drastic improvements.

Cross may develop into a solid B1G-level 4, but he isn't now. He seems to hold the most promise if he's not asked to guard 6-11 centers down low.

Easley also needs a little work. He's not a Big Ten player this year, though he gives us quality minutes.

Allen, Walker, Banton, Mayen and Stevenson all have a chance to be starters next year, unless the practice squad's success is driven by Lil' Pike and Porter, of course.

BINGO! Cam is a B1G-caliber dude playing with a lot of "6th men."

6 hours ago, jayschool said:

Agreed. I have said this MANY TIMES. We have B1G dudes on the roster but so many of them are playing out of position or taking on larger roles than they should be.

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

We are just very sloppy for a team that doesn’t have a very sloppy margin or error.

Stinks that our roster construction basically throws Yvan to the fire all year. 

really starting to look like the B10 spotlight is alil to bright for both Burke and green to me. 

I don’t think it stinks. Sure he’s not ready, but guys like him and Cross getting major minutes this year IMO will be big for their development. I would love to be winning right now but my expectations for this year were pretty low.