uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 21 - vs. Michigan

uneblinstu

Is it my imagination or does it seem like when one or two of the best opposition players are sitting out games against us, we never do well? In fact, seldom-used opponent replacements step up and have big games. Pat Chambers should just sit all of his starters if he wants to win by 30.

Edited by jimmykc

I wasn't sure what to expect from Howard at UM, but at least for one night, their game plan was impressive.

They did a great job of finding the defensive mismatch late in the shot clock, isolating it, and scoring. And I know their bench was short, so they had to use Johns more than usual, but they consistently found ways to get him isolated against defenders who couldn't handle his athleticism. Good plan.

They also really made it tough for us to get clean looks at 3s. And they seemed to make Mack uncomfortable for large chunks of the game. Good defensive game plan against us too.

Ultimately, it looked a lot like past UM-NU games have looked when Beilein was there, save for a couple. We were completely out of sorts most of the game, which is what UM has done to us regularly since we joined the B1G. Hopefully it looks different the next time, because last night was pretty bad.

Very disappointing because we had been playing so much better lately, but last night was a step back. We didn't seem to be too ready to play, and I'm sure a large chunk of that was Michigan's game plan.

Post game notes

*-Cam Mack reached double figures for the 19th time in 21 games, finishing with a team-high 19 points. Mack’s five 3-pointers tonight is a career high, topping his previous best of four against Rutgers on Jan. 24. He had had 19-or-more points in three of the Huskers’ last four contests
*-Mack finished with nine assists, the and climbed into Nebraska’s single-season top-10 list on Tuesday. He moved past Tyronn Lue (136, 1997) and Cookie Belcher (138, 1999) into ninth place with 142 assists.
*-Kevin Cross reached double figures for the seventh time this season, the most since Glynn Watson Jr. had 16 double figures games in 2015-16, finishing with 17 points off the bench. Cross' 17-point night matched his highest total in Big Ten play.
*-Cross matched his career with three 3-points (also at Wisconsin and at Northwestern).
*-Haanif Cheatham’s 17 points were his highest total since scoring 17 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Dec. 29.
*-Nebraska’s 16 assists matched NU’s highest total since Dec. 15.

8 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I don't see any problem with that.  His minutes probably won't go up that much because he gets winded.

Would give us five guys on the floor who are capable of hitting a couple big threes early.  Remember when Pitchford used to start off every game with a three and automatically it was like "welp, we're winning this sucker."

50 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Would give us five guys on the floor who are capable of hitting a couple big threes early.  Remember when Pitchford used to start off every game with a three and automatically it was like "welp, we're winning this sucker."

I would not be surprised if it happens as they were not happy with Yvan when he took and air balled that FT line jumper. Cross has to cut down the turnovers and focus on def and blocking out. He is not good at all in those areas. If he’s on it’s worth it but he only seems on every 3rd-4th game. I think / hope he takes a big jump in those areas, better conditioning would help a ton