Thor

Huskerpapa

Is there a basketball player at Nebraska that has developed "overnight" like Thor?

Last year at this time most people thought he was gonzo.  Most people fully expected Thor would be gone in the Hoiberg off season purge.  Most people were surprised by his desire to stay.  Most people thought the end of last season was a mirage.   Most people were surprised when he was in the playing rotation this year.  Most people were surprised that he stepped into the starting line up.  Most people are surprised of his rebounding ability, his ability to get to the basket and most definitely his three point shooting prowess. 

I thought of him as a glue type player.   He is so much more at this point.  I hope he finishes strong this year and remains in Lincoln next season as an integral part of our team.  

Thor's light definitely switched to the "on" position at some point. 

But you could see flashes of quality even last season when we finally got to see the bench play after we ran out of players. 

More than a few of us were wondering why some of those guys didn't see the court when the more talented players were just not functioning well at all on the court. 

But yeah, Thor's going even beyond the 'heart and soul" kind of player he looked like he might be last year. I love it. Some players just come to life in game conditions. 

Thor doesn't qualify yet as a Big Ten leader for FG percentage or 3-point percentage because he apparently hasn't taken enough shots. But if he did, he would be first in 3-point percentage at 45.9.

• The current leader is OSU's Duane Washington at 42.9.
  • Thor has 74 attempts in 20 games, or 3.7 per game.
  • All others in the top 10 have averaged at least 5 per game.

Thor is also our only 50+ percent FG shooter, and along with Charlie Easley, our only 70+ percent FT shooter.

He's third on the team in rebounds (4.5 rpg) behind Ouedraogo and Mack.

Edited by jayschool

23 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Where can I get my Thor jersey...? Isn’t there something in the works now where undergrads can make money on their likenesses so they can get a pizza on the weekends? I’m all in, just let me know where & HOW...!

Here you go!!

https://www.huskersbasketballjersey.club/thorir-thorbjarnarson-jersey-c-18/?zenid=r3a49t0f904kjfm6cckllij697

There's a mea culpa post coming from me regarding Thorir, that's for sure. I had definitely written him off while here. I was frustrated when he was recruited because I thought there had been multiple local guys who could do anything that he could do that we just ignored over the years. But, just being completely honest, I'm going to wait on it (I'm sure he just shrunk in his seat in defeat reading that 😉). This is just my opinion and evaluation, but at this point he is still just a dude taking full advantage of an opportunity to play freely on a really bad team. I applaud him for that and truly do appreciate his effort... and I commend him for taking advantage of this opportunity given to him - most don't. But, again, this is a bad team... 

My hope for next year - he's a glue guy that can come in and guard a lot of different guys, rebound, back-cut, and hit open 3's on a good team. And just so we're clear - I love the guy and it's been super fun watching him play this year. I am just not ready to be like, "omg we were all wrong on this dude, he's awesome!!!"

*ducks and covers*

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

There's a mea culpa post coming from me regarding Thorir, that's for sure. I had definitely written him off while here. I was frustrated when he was recruited because I thought there had been multiple local guys who could do anything that he could do that we just ignored over the years. But, just being completely honest, I'm going to wait on it (I'm sure he just shrunk in his seat in defeat reading that 😉). This is just my opinion and evaluation, but at this point he is still just a dude taking full advantage of an opportunity to play freely on a really bad team. I applaud him for that and truly do appreciate his effort... and I commend him for taking advantage of this opportunity given to him - most don't. But, again, this is a bad team... 

My hope for next year - he's a glue guy that can come in and guard a lot of different guys, rebound, back-cut, and hit open 3's on a good team. And just so we're clear - I love the guy and it's been super fun watching him play this year. I am just not ready to be like, "omg we were all wrong on this dude, he's awesome!!!"

*ducks and covers*

Thor's in the "right place, right time" to shine this season. He's a heady player on a team desperate for solid contributors.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Quite amazing Thor has went from a guy I couldn’t believe we were gonna use a scholarship on too the guy I have the most faith in on the team.  A true testament to what hard work and effort can do for a player.  Not to mention the affects of good coaching 

Never more on display than tonight in the matchup between Hoiberg & Turgeon, Nebraska had no business being within 30 of a more talented MD team, but Freddy is a much better coach than Mark. Good coaching is apparent, and so is mediocre coaching. Often great players can overcome the mediocre coach, like, say.... tonight.

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Never more on display than tonight in the matchup between Hoiberg & Turgeon, Nebraska had no business being within 30 of a more talented MD team, but Freddy is a much better coach than Mark. Good coaching is apparent, and so is mediocre coaching. Often great players can overcome the mediocre coach, like, say.... tonight.

Very true, it’s why I don’t get some of the bad mouthing of Ivan and cross. Both will be much improved next year as long as they return to campus. Ivan just need to develop some hook shots and floaters around the rim. Cross is basically already what we want on offense, just needs to become more consistent. 

I definitely tip my hat to Thor.  I was critical of his shooting form last summer and he has made me eat crow when he got his opportunities.   Salute!

I have to say I am impressed with Hoiberg and his staff as well.   They recognized that Thor was a good fit last spring.  I never would of got that right.  Salute again!

I think Cross shoots too much.  I think if I criticize him, he will do well because Karma hates me and I will never win the lottery.   Oh yeah the coaches suck too despite what I said earlier and I will never meet a gorgeous girl with a bass boat who will throw herself at me because I am a dimwitt.  🤨

And we can't hit freethrows!

Edited by REDitus