uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 20 - at Rutgers

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

I think if Cross had 25 minutes and Yvan had 17, we win.  Instead it was the other way around partly because of foul trouble.  I really don’t see why Cross isn’t the bonafide starter at this point.  

‘thought they both were bad today but at least Yvan plays def and gets more boards but I guess you could try it.

11 hours ago, LK1 said:

I think if Cross had 25 minutes and Yvan had 17, we win.  Instead it was the other way around partly because of foul trouble.  I really don’t see why Cross isn’t the bonafide starter at this point.  

Rutgers would have scored 6-8 more points and Cross would have taken 3-5 more shots; missing most of them (not saying Yvan played great by any means). I just dont think it would have made a difference personally.

However, I do like his potential as a point forward in the future.

I agree with the take on Green. He definitely needed to be found the ball a time or two by Mack towards the end of the game. 

To build on that, anyone else think it was a mistake only playing him 18 min? He, along with Mack and Thor, were the only ones who had it tn on offense. And Green seemed to be hustling his ass off on the defensive end.

17 minutes ago, khoock said:

Rutgers would have scored 6-8 more points and Cross would have taken 3-5 more shots; missing most of them (not saying Yvan played great by any means). I just dont think it would have made a difference personally.

However, I do like his potential as a point forward in the future.

We made our run with Cross if I recall correctly.  

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

So, I'm not saying that it isn't worth a shot.  However, there are some things that would hold me back on Cross starting as well.  

1.  Cross tends to play Ole defense at times and then no defense at all during other spurts.  He does seem to try and get his nose dirty on rebounds at times, however.

2.  When Cross is off on O... he is OFF.  That tends to affect other areas.  Now, Yuv isn't no offensive guru either, but at least he doesn't shoot it AS much.  Granted, he TO's a lot more than Cross.

3.  I don't know how much Cross would be able to wear on an opposing big man to start the way that Yuv probably does. 

Basically, it's a toss up.  I'd be ok with trying it for a game or two, but I don't think that it'll make much of a difference either way.

I’m interested in bringing Yvan’s big body off the bench against tired bodies.  I’m more interested in Cross getting in a rhythm early.  It’s sometimes harder to warm up, sit, and come out hot than to start the game that way.  

4 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I’m interested in bringing Yvan’s big body off the bench against tired bodies.  I’m more interested in Cross getting in a rhythm early.  It’s sometimes harder to warm up, sit, and come out hot than to start the game that way.  

I could see that.  Certainly worth a try.  One nice thing about the rest of this season is that we have a opportunity to experiment.  I’d love to see Arop get a few minutes, have Charlie continue to get minutes, have Cross start a game or two, and have both Yuv and Cross on the floor together for a bit sometime.

I like Cross off the bench.  Minutes should be based on a number of factors.  I trust the staff will distribute the minutes appropriately. 

Glad to see Charlie and Jervey on the floor.  It appears to me that the staff has their collective fingers on the pulse of this team.  Based on our current talent it looks like we have a set 8 man rotation.

17 hours ago, hal9000 said:

No kidding!  I couldn't believe this "no call".  Baker's dagger 3 right after this was clutch for him, but that shot should have NEVER happened.  I know refs tend to swallow their whistles late, but you simply HAVE to call this travel.  NU's chance to win was taken away from them.  Would they have won?  Who knows.  But they never got the chance because of this horrible no call.  Officiating is just awful this year.

Notes from UNL

*-Today marked the sixth time that Nebraska has hit at least 10 3-pointers in a game this season, as the Huskers hit 11 3-pointers today.
*-Thorir Thorbjarnarson tied/set his career high in both points (17) and 3-pointers (five), as he had 17 points on two other occasions, most recently against Indiana on Jan. 18. His five 3-pointers matches NU’s best this season, as he had five 3-pointers at Ohio State.
*-It is the eighth time this season that Thorir Thorbjarnarson has connected on multiple 3-pointers in game this season.
*-Nebraska matched Rutgers with 30 points in the paint today after being outscored 52-24 in the paint in the first meeting on Jan. 3
*-Cam Mack’s four 3-pointers were a season high (previous high of three on five previous occasions.
*-Dachon Burke Jr. had a season-high five assists. His previous high was two on seven occasions, most recently at Ohio State on Jan. 14.
*-Charlie Easley played a career high 23 minutes on Saturday and finished with seven points, one off his career high.
*-Nebraska falls to 0-2 vs. ranked teams this year.
*-Nebraska had an 11-0 run in the second half, the 16th time NU has had a double-digit run this season.
*-Today is the first time in 20 games where Kevin Cross wasn’t the Huskers’ first sub off the bench, as Charlie Easley was NU’s first sub at the 16:07 mark of the first half.

As noted above, Easley actually played a career high 26 minutes

image.png